Twenty Nine

Falling for Femme Do Kyungsoo

You wake up to the harsh rays of the morning light filtering through the open window.


Where is Amber?

You glance across the room to find that she's already gone out.


Yawning and pushing yourself languidly off the bed, you see a note on the table from her.

"Am out with Kris. Remember your date, sleepy head."


You frown at the message.

Date?

Do you have a date with Kyungsoo today?


The thought of him makes you giddy again.


You check your phone and opens the unread message.



From: Chanyeol

So I'll see you at the Odean Theatre later at 1030 am? Do you want to meet earlier for breakfast?"




Chanyeol.

That's right, you agreed to the movie last night.


It's 1015 am now.

Oh no, you are late.


You furiously type in a return message when your phone beeps again.



From: Soo

Hey, have you slept well? Can I talk to you later?




Kyungsoo.

Your heart lurch involuntarily.

Dang, why does he have such an effect on you?


And what did he want to talk to you about?


Your head is still muddled from sleep and you figure you'll reply later.


After a quick shower and change, you haphazardly grab your bag and leaves the house.




The phone is left forgotten on the table.


________________



Kyungsoo knows you'll usually wake around this time.


With trembling fingers, he sends the message and wills himself to watch some meaningless tv whilst he waits for your reply.


It doesn't come.



He makes up excuses for your delayed response.

Maybe you are still sleeping?

Or watching tv?

Practicing your skills?


After two hours and still no reply, he's running out of positivity and ugly fear seizes him by the guts.


Maybe you don't want to talk to him again.



The thought squeezes his heart and he feels that he won't be able to breathe if it continues like that.


I've at least got to tell you the truth.

He throws on a light windbreaker and heads out to your dorm.


_________________


Halfway through the bus ride, you realized you forgot your phone and is willfully contemplating to get back to the dorm to retrieve it, but rationale wins in the end and you find yourself walking solemnly towards the theater, a bubbly Chanyeol in view.


"You're here! I thought you aren't coming, I called Amber and she said you are still sleeping." He beams, trademark teeth-baring grin flashing. "Where's Kyungsoo?"

You stutter.

"Er... He's busy today, so it's just me." You smile feebly but Chanyeol doesn't seem to notice.


"Let's go! You're just in time! And I got ourselves popcorn!" He shoves the snack box in front of you excitedly and you accept gingerly.

He grins again and heads for the entrance first.

You follow suit, picking out a piece of popcorn and crunching it in your mouth.


It's salty popcorn.

You only eat sweet caramel.


Sighing, you wonder how long the movie will take.


_______________


At least Chanyeol is right about the movie.


It's an animation film about family. Ten minutes into the movie, you are entirely absorbed into the story and even sob a little at the touching parts.

However, when the credits start to roll and the two of you file out of the theater, your mind wanders back to the forgotten phone again.


It's been a few hours since she's last messaged you. What if she gets the wrong idea? That you are mad or something?


You don't want to lose a friend.

Not a friend like her.


Not Kyungsoo.


"Do you want to get something to eat?" Chanyeol's deep voice jolts you from your thoughts.


To be honest, you are hungry.

But the phone is more important.


"Erm, I think I'd like to head back to the dorm. I've got... something on." You remark.

"Oh. Of course, I'll accompany you back then." He nods resolutely and you are too concerned about the phone to argue.


________________


Kyungsoo has been waiting outside the dorm building for an hour.


He tries calling you but you didn't pick up the phone.

A mixture of worry and fear coils in his gut.


He paces back and forth on the pavement a while before settling to lean on the wall of the building again.



The Shapeshifter toys with the idea of morphing into a fly and sneaking through the window, but he don't know which level you live in and he certainly doesn't want to be caught and mistaken as a voyeur.

The waiting is drawing his patience thin.

And with every passing second, he revises images of you in his mind, hoping he'll see that smile and hold that hand again.


The sun is blinding as it reflects off the surface of his watch.


1:15 pm.

______________


It's been three hours since the message and you are getting fidgety with the nearing of your house.


The bus ride with Chanyeol is mostly him talking about the recent scuffles picking up between the two schools again and something about Minseok, his basketball team mate going overseas for an exchange program.


"Will you be going to the party?"

"Huh?" You startle, breaking from your rumination.

"Minseok's farewell party. Amber is going too." The frenzy haired giant looks at you expectantly.

"I'll... Think about it." You smile meekly. "We're here."



You nearly scramble out of the bus, taking brisk steps towards the dorm building which is a few meters away.


Chanyeol quickly catches up with his long legs and soon enough, he's striding one step ahead of you.

It is then you realize the difference between him and Kyungsoo.
 

The Shapeshifter always keeps abreast with you, a steady and matching pace, an occasional glance and smile thrown in.

The Fire manipulator leads the way, confident and sure, sometimes stopping to check that you are keeping up.


You prefer the former.




Perhaps you just don't like being left behind.

_______________


Kyungsoo recognizes you from far away.


He starts toward you but quickly registers the person in front of you.

The frizzy haired basketball guy who has been trying to woo you.


Chanyeol.


Suddenly his steps falter and he remains rooted to the ground, a good distance away from you two.