Twenty-Three

Falling for Femme Do Kyungsoo

You feel the graze of cool fingers on yours, shy and inviting as the tips brush and linger at the heat of your palm, awaiting your consent.

The realization sends electric currents buzzing up and short-circuiting your breath.



Should I?


Your mind and body must be working autonomously because the next minute, your hand stills without you knowing and the tentative fingers slip into yours, smooth and soft. Lightly at first, then adjusting and conforming for a better hold.

When you finish collecting your senses, your hand is fitted snugly in his, feeling small in his large hands and warming up at every second.

The heat is rapidly travelling up your cheeks and in your peripheral vision, you note Kyungsoo casting a glance which you are unable to return at the moment, for fear of further breath shortages.



Why in the world would you be feeling nervous at holding hands with your friend, a girlfriend at that, you'll never know. You figure the extra training with Dr Song just now could have fried both your brain and rationality.


"Hey, you guys gotta walk faster!" Chanyeol's excited bark in the front smacks you back to reality.




The neighbourhood mall, a stone's throw away from S.M, is really just a collection of six tiny shophouses where the second level is usually the living area of the shop owners themselves.

Mainly made up of food and grocery stalls, there's one bubble tea joint serving finger food which is particularly popular with students. There's only four tables in the small, brightly lit cafe that is currently fully occupied though.



"_________ , what would you like to have? Tell me and I'll go order it for you!" Chanyeol finally whips around and offers eagerly.

His gaze falls on your linking hands and if he feels perturbed by it, he certainly didn't show it.



"What would you like to have?" The soft, assuring tone of Kyungsoo's reaches your ears and you look to him, once again falling into the gentle dark orbs and the distinct awareness of the warmth of his hand.

"Just, green tea I guess. I'm not that hungry yet." You utter almost bashfully.



"Sweetness, the same?" He asks with a casual smile and still warm tone.

"Yeah." You chuckle lightly.


"I'll go get it for you then." He gives your hand a little squeeze and it feels almost reluctant when his grip left yours.

"I'll go with him!" Chanyeol chirps and throws a wave as he enters the shop together with Kyungsoo.


_____________________


"I've never seen you around before, are you from our school?" Chanyeol strikes up a conversation when they are waiting in line.

"No, actually, I'm from EXO institution." Kyungsoo replies politely.


"Ah..." The blonde haired male seems to fall into a slight trance. "We had a basketball match recently with EXO's team you know that?"

"Yeah, I've heard about that." The shorter boy nods briefly.

"And we won." The taller states, and when he next glances at Kyungsoo, he notes the glint in his eyes.



Kyungsoo is not the type to pick fights. But when a challenge is presented, he recognizes it.

In this case, he's not backing down.


"Yes, I knew that too.

But not everything's a game."



The other doesn't refute.


__________________


The rest of the evening passes by in awkward silence.


When the two of you finally bid Chanyeol goodbye, dusk had fallen and the air is cool and still as he walks you back to the dorm.

Kyungsoo is still holding on to your hand long after the taller had gone and you grow increasingly aware of the intimacy, yet find yourself disinclined to remind him of the unnecessary gesture. Somewhere in your heart you want him to continue, wants it to be more than a prop for warding off unwanted suitors.


You relax into the warmth and heaves a sigh of relief.

"Thank God Chanyeol stays with his parents and not at the dorm, else I wouldn't know what to do."

Kyungsoo snickers.

"I don't think he sees me as a threat at all."


"Chanyeol is not the conceding type. He's an attacker in the basketball team. He doesn't back down without a fight." You eye him apologetically. "Sorry for bringing you into this mess."

"How long are we going to keep this up?" He asks breezily.

"What, are you tired of acting as my boyfriend already?" You shoot him a daring glance.


"What if I say yes?" He answers cheekily.

"You wouldn't." You snarl and poke him at his sides. He jerks out of the way, chortling.

"Hey!" You yelp as he attacks back. Squirming out of his touch, you try to pull away, only to have him yanking you back and tickling you again.


The two of you repeat this exchange until the laughing makes both of you breathless and your sides ache.

Your hands are still intertwined and even more so after the mini engagement, shoulders bumping and breaths close enough to feel them flutter on necks and flushing faces.




You feel dizzy with euphoria and doesn't even realize that the two of you are already standing on the walkway to your dorm building.

"You're home." He announces with a short breath. Seeing your dorm has never been more dismaying.


"Yeah." You sniff, letting out a laugh that is clearly lacking in the same mirth as just now.

"So I'll pick you up after school around the same time tomorrow?" He smiles sweetly, the unyielding grip on your hand showing his equal reluctance.

Your heart lifts a bit at this and you beam.

"Yes, I'll like that." You nod swiftly and then in the most sincere tone you can muster, "Thank you, Kyungsoo-ah."



There's a sense of deja-vu and this time, your eyes remain open as Kyungsoo closes in, beautiful eyes half-lidded and breath warm on your heated cheeks.


He kisses you.