Fire

The Nine Princesses

‘Hyung, did you have fun at the festival?!’ Taemin asked Minho while jumping up and down on the large bed, watching his brother who was looking through a chest that their servants had just sent to their room.
‘Yeah, I had a great day,’ Minho grinned, ‘but I spent most of it away from the festival.’
‘Why?!’ Taemin whined.
‘Because he found something better to do,’ Jonghyun interjected with a sly smile.
‘What do you mean?’
‘I saw him watching the fireworks at night with Princess Yuri~’ Jonghyun sang.
‘What?! What is the princess like? Is she nice? Do you like her?’ Taemin piped up.
Minho stopped going through the chest of precious jewellery from their country, he turned around and sat with his back leaning on the chest, grinning up at Jonghyun and Taemin.
‘Princess Yuri is beautiful.’

‘We know that! All of them are, but what was she like?’ Key butted in when he and Onew walked into the room.
‘Amazing… I don’t know… we just… we just get each other, you know?’ Minho tried his best to explain.
‘Wow, you’ve only known her for two days and already you’re in love, I must say, Choi Minho, she must be one hell of a girl for you to fall in love so quick. Usually you don’t even like a person even though you know them for all your life,’ Onew said.
‘Your just saying that because one, Minho didn’t start liking you until we all turned 6, and two, you and Princess Taeyeon haven’t gotten close yet,’ Key said.
‘Shut up!’ Onew snapped, blushing.
‘That’s no language for a Prince!’ Taemin said, mimicking their etiquette teacher, causing laughter throughout the room.
When he’s laughter subsided, Minho chuckled, ‘mianhae, hyung. I didn’t like you because I was just a kid, and a very sporty one, so I didn’t understand why you kept on falling, very uncoordinated.’
‘I am not uncoordinated!! AND Princess Taeyeon and I have talked!!’
‘Ohh… tell us…’

‘Urghh!! That Prince Sungmin is so annoying!! I can’t believe you have to marry him, Yuri! He’s so… so… so frustrating!!’ Sunny ranted when the girls were all in bed.
They’d all decided to sleep in the large lounge/bedroom on the massive bed that fit them all, instead of their own rooms. They were now all in bed, the lights off and about to fall asleep, but Sunny needed to get the Sungmin issue off her chest.
‘Unnie, I don’t want to marry him…’ Yuri admitted quietly into the darkness.
‘Why?! Yuri! Are you okay? Usually you would do something like this if it meant the good of our country. Even as a kid, to get you to change out of your favourite dress, the ladies in waiting had to tell you that it was for the good of the country!’ Taeyeon exclaimed.
‘… because I don’t love him.’
‘But even if you don’t love him, you’d still do it. Unless… do you already have someone you love?’ Tiffany asked.
‘Yes…’
‘Omona!! We need to tell Mum and Dad so they don’t force you to marry that Prince and so you can be with the one you love!!’ Sunny cried.
‘But… I don’t know if he loves me back… it’s kinda weird you know? I’ve only known him for two days and only spoke to him today… isn’t it too quick to fall in love with him??’ Yuri sighed.
‘Only known for two days?? Could it be… one of the Princes?! But Yuri, their engaged to unnies!’ Sooyoung cried.
‘It’s not the princes!’ Yuri shouted.
‘Then…’
‘It’s General Choi Minho,’ Yuri whispered in a barely audible voice.

‘What?! But he’s a general, not a Prince!’ Sica yelled.
‘But… but…’ Yuri whimpered pathetically.
‘Unnie!! He is her ideal type after all, besides, who cares?? He’s better than Prince Sungmin,’ Yoona cried into the darkness.
‘Wow… Yoona excepts… that’s a first,’ Hyoyeon giggled.
‘So when did you talk to him??’ Sooyoung asked.
‘He was in my garden today and when I went there to relax, he was there.’
‘Ohh… well, at least your getting along with someone, I saw Sunny and Sungmin fighting over nothing,’ Sooyoung said.
‘Like you can talk, you were only being nice to Prince Key because he was buying you food,’ Sunny retorted.

Soon, the girls had fallen asleep, one-by-one, except for Hyoyeon and Seohyun.
‘Unnie,’ Seohyun whispered sleepily.
‘Yeah?’
‘I don’t want to get married…’
‘You might fall in love with him though…’
‘But what if I don’t? What if in the future I fall in love like Yuri unnie but am engaged to someone else?’
‘We’ll deal with it when the time comes… Seohyun, we should sleep now.’
‘Yeah… but unnie… do you smell that?’
‘Smell what?’
‘The smoke.’
‘The smoke??’
‘Yeah… smoke…’

Suddenly the door banged open and the Princes, including Minho, ran in, waking up the Princesses. Yuri and Yoona were dazed for a bit, they could hear noises but they couldn’t see anything and they both began frantically yelling.
‘Take off your sleeping masks, stupid,’ Sooyoung said.
‘Oh,’ Yoonyul blushed when they took off their sleeping masks.
‘Princesses!! There’s no time to dawdle!!’ Onew yelled.
‘Prince! It’s rude to walk into a lady’s room!’ Taeyeon snapped.
‘But there’s no helping it!! The west wing of the building is burning down! And it might spread, so if we don’t move, we’ll be burnt too!’
The Princesses all began panicking and scrambling out of bed.
‘Boys! Help calm them down and get them out of here!’ Onew ordered.
But before the boys could move, Taeyeon shouted, ‘Girls! Single file!’ and the girls all lined up behind Taeyeon in order of age, as if they’d practiced this drill many times over.
‘Lead the way outside,’ Taeyeon said.
‘Arasso! Taemin, Onew, stay in front and lead the way. Key, stay on the right of the Princesses, Jonghyun, on the left. I’ll follow up from behind,’ Minho ordered.

Within minutes, the Princes and Princesses were safely outside, standing in the garden and watching the fire being put out. Luckily, it hadn’t reached anywhere near the Princesses’ room, but it was still in the same Palace so they’d have to move temporality into the main Royal Palace while theirs was being fixed. The King and Queen arrived shortly after from the main Royal Palace where they obviously resided.
‘One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, wow, thank goodness, your all here!’ the Queen exclaimed after she counted her daughters and hugged them all.
‘We’ll ask the servants to move all of your stuff into your rooms in the main Royal Palace, and get a supervisor to watch them,’ the King said.
The girls groaned, they’d grown up living in the Main Royal Palace. It wasn’t until they were 13 that they convinced their parents that they should live in Jewel Palace, a sub palace within the Royal grounds, some ways from the Main Royal palace, but still within short walking distance.

‘Stay here for a while, the servants are preparing your beds in the Main Royal Palace, and we need to investigate what caused the fire,’ the Queen ordered her daughters as she and the King walked away, leaving the Princesses and Princes standing in the cold garden.
‘Wow… it’s all burnt down… luckily not the East Wing though…’ Sunny mumbled.
‘Thank goodness you all woke us up and saved us!’ Taeyeon grinned at the Princes, but mainly at Onew.
‘It’s no problem at all. You are precious Princesses after all,’ Onew said while trying to be manly.
Sensing the atmosphere, the others shuffled away from the oh-so obvious feelings the two harboured for each other.

Minho stood alone and looked around to see what everyone else was doing. Taeyeon and Onew were going for a walk, Sooyoung and Key had gone to scavenge for a midnight snack, Sica had fallen asleep under a tree, and Jonghyun was strangely watching her. Taemin was playing ‘charm, charm, charm’ with Yoona, Hyoyeon and Tiffany, while Seohyun went off in search of one of her books that might’ve been lying around. Sunny and Sungmin were having an aegyo contest, trying to win the title of the best aegyo. The one person that was not around was Yuri, the one person he was looking for.

He turned around and saw her standing on the bridge stretched over one of the many small lakes that ran through the Royal Grounds. She was staring at the moon, and it’s light was defining her already beautiful features. Minho walked slowly towards her without her noticing his presence, he leaned on the handrail next to her and looked at the dark sky too.
‘I always loved looking at the moon and stars,’ he mumbled softly.
She turned to him and gave him one of her sweetest smiled, ‘Me too. And Minho-shi? Thank you very much for saving us.’
‘No problem, besides, it’s not like your room was on fire already, we only got you out of there before it got anywhere near your room,’ Minho said modestly.
‘It doesn’t matter, it was still very brave,’ Yuri said.

‘Sungmin!! I won!’ Sunny shouted at him.
‘No, I did! I have the best aegyo!’
‘No, I’m a lot bet-,’ Sunny was cut off when Sungmin’s lips met hers.
She was frozen still when he pulled away and said cheekily, ‘that will teach you to argue with me.’  
‘But your Yuri’s fiancée!! Sunny Unnie, how could you?’ Seohyun cried shocked from behind them.

 

(a/n): WOW 50 subscribers already!! Thank you all so much!! :) Love you all!

Hope this chap was interesting enough. I think the other princes will be coming in soon~ Look forward to it!

Comment and Subscribe