Thunderstorm!

The Nine Princesses

‘Until when will you be staying in my room, Yoona?’ Yuri asked.
‘Forever?’ Yoona asked hopefully.
‘Denied!’ Minho yelled.
It was around midnight and none of the three had fallen asleep yet. Yuri and Yoona shared the bed in Yuri’s old room while Minho slept in a futon on the floor. It was the second night running that Yoona was sleeping in Yuri’s old bedroom and kicked her brother-in-law out of his bed and onto the floor.
‘Why?!’ Yoona whined.
‘Because the floor is uncomfortable and I miss Yuri!’ Minho groaned.
‘Neh, Yoona… why have you been sleeping in my room for the past few days?’ Yuri rolled onto her side and propped herself up on her elbow, looking at Yoona.
‘Because Prince Nichkhun is in my room. You know… because our father said that once our fiancées arrived, they’d be sleeping in our rooms with us,’ Yoona explained.
‘And that is a problem how?’ Minho complained.
‘Because I don’t want to sleep in the same room as a stranger and a cold one at that!’ Yoona exclaimed.

‘He’s not a stranger… he’s your fiancée. Besides, you could always ask the maids to bring in another bed…’ Yuri suggested.
‘Then why didn’t you get another bed for Minho when I came?’ Yoona asked.
‘Because we thought you were going back to your room tonight, and that it would be pointless,’ Minho answered.
‘Oh… well… Please let me stay? I’ll even sleep on the futon instead… and Minho can sleep here…’ Yoona reasoned.
Minho sighed, ‘It’s fine, Yoona noona. You can sleep with Yuri. But I do think you should get to know Prince Nichkhun better, he’s a nice guy.’
‘How do you know?’ Yuri asked.
‘Because we were talking while practising our sword techniques this morning with the others,’ Minho said.
‘Ohh…’ Yoonyul nodded.
‘Anyway, you both need to sleep. Yoona noona has to spend the day with Prince Nichkhun tomorrow, and Yul, honey, you have to spend the day with my mother,’ Minho said.
‘What’s wrong with your mum?’ Yuri asked.
‘Nothing… goodnight Yoona noona. Goodnight, Yul.’
‘Goodnight!’

Jonghyun was woken up by the sounds of the raging thunderstorm outside. He sat up in bed and looked to his side, confused. Where was Jessica? She wasn’t beside him sleeping away like she usually was.
‘Jess?’ he called out.
There was no reply. The room was incredibly dark and he could barely make out the shape of his hand, let alone see where Jessica had gone to. He stood up quietly and cautiously began to walk towards the bathroom but stopped when lightning lit up the room and he saw Jessica slumped by the window.
‘Jess?!’ he cried out worriedly.
Jonghyun ran to her side, not caring if he bumped into anything. When he got to her side, he realised she was merely sleeping and nothing was wrong.
‘Aish… this girl… falling asleep in such places…’ he mumbled to himself as he picked her up and began walking to the bed.
He gently lay her down and covered her with the doona.
‘Goodnight, Princess,’ he murmured and softly kissed her cheek before settling down, himself.

Sungmin laid awake, not daring to move or call out to Sunny who slept peacefully beside him. Ever since he was a child, he’d been frightened of thunder and lightning. Sungmin acted brave in front of Sunny and pretended as if the loud noise did not frighten him, but in truth, it did. Once she’s fallen asleep, Sungmin stopped putting up his front. A loud “BOOM!” sounded from outside and not too long after, there was a flash of lightning. Sungmin flinched and cowered under the covers but still, he could not sleep. His continuous shivering woke Sunny up and she groggily turned to him, ‘what are you doing?’  
‘Nothing…’ he squeaked, ‘ahem… I mean, nothing,’ he cleared his throat and repeated in a deeper voice.
‘Sure… that’s why  you’re hiding under the covers?’ Sunny asked.
‘I’m not hiding! I sleep better with the doona over my head!’ Sungmin said.
‘Sure… well then, stop moving around, I can’t sleep,’ Sunny instructed and turned back over to sleep.

Sungmin laid there for a while staring at Sunny’s back but when another round of thunder and lightning when off, his heart almost jumped out of his body and he latched onto Sunny.
‘What are you doing?!’ she cried.
‘Nothing…’ Sungmin whimpered.
‘Noo… could it be? You’re scared of thunderstorms?’ Sunny asked astonished.
Sungmin blushed, ‘what? Are you going to say how unmanly I am for being afraid of thunder? I can’t help that I’m scared. I know it’s pathetic for a guy to be scared but it’s not like I want to be frightened.’
‘I’m not going to tease you. Our older brother and Seohyun used to be scared of thunderstorms too… want to know how we got him to sleep?’ Sunny asked.
‘Older brother?’
‘Yeah… Leeteuk oppa. Who did you think was going to take over our kingdom? Gosh…’
‘Oh… so what did you do?’
‘We all took turns to sing to him,’ Sunny smiled.
‘Isn’t that… umm… a little childish? I’m not a infant anymore.’
‘Would you rather stay awake through the thunderstorm?’ Sunny asked.
‘No no!! Could you PLEASE sing me to sleep then?’ Sungmin asked, afraid of being left alone to deal with the thunderstorm.
‘Okay…’ and Sunny began to sing.

By the time Sungmin walked into the dining room for breakfast, most of the Princes and Princesses were finished and were playing around.
‘Someone was sleeping like a baby,’ Sica teased.
‘You can’t really talk. I had to practically drag you downstairs for breakfast,’ Jonghyun teased while Sica shot him a glare.
‘Why didn’t you wake me up?’ Sungmin asked Sunny.
‘Because you were dead asleep. You wouldn’t even wake up when I kicked you. I guess you really did stay awake all night until I realised you were scared of thunderstorms,’ Sunny answered.
‘Wow… Sungmin oppa is scared of thunderstorms? I used to be scared, but then I grew up,’ Seohyun said, causing everyone to laugh.
‘Hehe… nice one, Seohyun noona,’ Taemin giggled.
‘But it wasn’t a joke, I really did get over it when I grew up,’ Seohyun frowned, not understanding the joke.
‘I have grown up, okay? Thunderstorms just… still get to me… I’ll get over it!’ Sungmin shot at his cousins and sister-in-laws.
‘Arasso, arasso, we know you will, hyung,’ Minho said.

Sungmin sat down and began his breakfast. The only ones still eating were Sooyoung and Yoona. Yuri and Taeyeon were drinking apple juice while Sunny and Tiffany had orange juice. Seohyun was sitting quietly and reading while Hyoyeon sat beside her and rested her head on her shoulder. Sica was nodding off slowly, her head almost falling onto the table but luckily, Jonghyun caught her and laid her head on his should carefully. Jonghyun stared at Sica but continued listening as Onew told Minho and Jonghyun about their patrol with King Soo Man. Taemin listened on although he was not going. Although Key was going, he ignored Onew and was instead nagging his fiancée while she ate.

‘And remember, don’t eat like how you are now in front of my mother. Don’t get your dress dirty and DEFINITELY not act like how you usually do!’ he said.
Sooyoung rolled her eyes but did not answer back. She continued to devour her breakfast and stare at Key.
‘Remember all your etiquette classes, and by all means, DO NOT embarrass me!! Please!!’ Key continued.
‘Key, think she knows how to act in front of your mother, stop being a diva and nagging her while she’s eating,’ Jonghyun said.
‘Yes, but, look at her!! She’ll do something stupid and that’ll reflect on me!’ Key cried.
‘Hmm!!!’ Sooyoung exclaimed through a mouthful of food and kicked Key under the table.
‘Owww!! What was that for?!’ Key screeched.
‘For insulting her,’ Onew answered for Sooyoung who nodded in agreement.
‘I did not insult her! She just needs to keep from embarrassing herself in front of my mother!’ Key cried.
‘That woman raised you, I don’t think her impression of you is going to get worse just because of your fiancée, right Sooyoung?’ Sungmin said.
Sooyoung nodded at her brother-in-law in agreement and glared at her fiancée.
‘You know, by the looks of it… rather than trying to stop his reputation from being ruined by Sooyoung noona, Kibummie just wants Sooyoung noona to make a good impression of aunty so they can stay engaged and get married,’ Minho said matter-of-factly.
‘SHUT UP CHOI!!!’ Key yelled, ‘that’s not true!! Why would I want to married someone so… so… so unwomanly?’
Sooyoung face fell and she put down her breakfast, she quickly stood up and walked out of the room. Everyone stood there stunned.
‘Key you idiot!’ Tiffany yelled.
‘Ahh… crap!! I didn’t mean to sound so mean, Minho just got my flustered!!’ Key started to panic.
‘Just go after her and apologise, hyung,’ Taemin advised him.
‘Right! I’ll do just that,’ Key said while running out the door.
‘She went to other way, pabo!’ Hyoyeon called out.
‘Right, that way… thanks!!’ Key yelled.
Everyone shook their heads and sighed at the oblivious couple, ‘pabo couple…’ they muttered.

 

(a/n): i've been finding it quite difficult to reply back to everyone's comments because they're mostly 'update soon' and 'sweet' or 'more (insert couple name here)!" so please add in more thoughts and feedback if it's not too much of a bother :) thanks so much ! :D