Chapter 18 (Masquerade ball)

Hey! You're Cute and You're Mine.

Too late. It was too late. I couldn’t run nor hide. I, Lee Jaena, had officially got engaged with Jung Daehyun. Thanks to my mom and dad, I had to wear an engagement ring and was grounded back in the hotel. Reporters and photographers were everywhere after the engagement ceremony. They started questioning me about my engagement and Dujun’s relationship. Yoon Dujun, My current boyfriend.

Few moments later, I was sent back into the room, locked. My knees went weak and I fall to the ground. Tears falling down to my cheeks. I felt my heart aches as I was devastated with the current situation. I missed Dujun and the other oppas. I hope they’re alright especially Dujun. I wanted to call him but my current phone was confiscated.

“I see you miss him.” Someone came in.

“Omo!! You talk!” I looked at Daehyun with a shock expression.

“I guess you thought I was mute after all.” He chuckled and took off his mask.

“Neh.” I nodded in embarrassment. Honestly, he look handsome without his mask. I noticed besides looking at those big eyes of his, he had full lips and a sharp nose. His face was almost like a prince. *YAH!! Cut it off JAE!! You have a boyfriend!!*

“Hey, can I ask you a question?” I straighten up .

“Is this about the mask?” he snickered.

“Woah..” I was surprised, besides Dujun, he would  be the second one who could read my mind.ZFD

“I just don’t like talking to others. ”

“Even me?”

“You’re exceptional.” I felt my heart skipped a bit.

“So, about your boyfriend. How are you going to solve it? ”

“Daehyun-ah, Please.. help me to get out of this place.”

“I wish I could, but I can’t. They had tighten the security around this place. Your parents sure are serious about this engagement.”

“When it’s about business and money. No one could stop them.” I gave a weak smile. “Mianhe Daehyun , for dragging you into this.”

“It’s alright. You’re not the only one having an issue.”

“ What? You have a problem too?”

“Yea, I was caught secretly being a trainee.” He leaned on the wall while crossing his arm.

“Dancing or singing?”

“I prefer Singing.” I looked at him in surprise. Can he really sing? He wears a mask everyday and he doesn’t like to talk to others.

“Are you done looking at me?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Oh..MIanhe..” I quickly look away.

“ About the engagement.” He paused and continued. “ I overheard something from your parents. I think your dad’s company is facing crisis , that is why he decided to have the engagement.” I didn’t know why but as soon as I heard that , I felt a small relief. So it wasn’t about Dujun. I guess he’s safe, for now.

But I stopped for a moment, if appa’s company is going down, he might be devastated. I couldn’t see it fall. It was always Omma and Appa’s hard work. The company had been going on for decades and this was the first time I heard it was going down. No wonder I was engaged. I guess this engagement means a lot to them.

*YAH!! Lee Jaena!! What about Dujun oppa and the others. You can’t just leave them.*

“You seem worried.” He read my mind again.

“Neh.. It’s Omma and appa’s company after all. I can’t just see it fall.”

*What a kind girl, if only her parents would see that in her.* Daehyun thought.

*KNOCK*KNOCK* One of the maids came in, informing us that there will be a masquerade ball tonight for the celebration of the engagement. So I should be getting ready for tonight by now.

“Guess I should be going.”

“Ye.. see you later.”

-

It was 7pm, I was dressed in a white wedding gown. I looked at myself in the mirror as I couldn’t believe my transformation. I started imagining Dujun standing beside me with his tuxedo on. A smile plastered on my face as I thought about it.

“Omo.. My daughter looks so beautiful tonight.” My mom came in, she was wearing a dark red dress with a black mask on.

“Omma..”

“I could see that you’re smiling away. Daehyun’s a great guy, isn’t he? ” I wanted to argue back but the thought of the company just stopped my actions.

“Neh..”

“His parents are coming tonight, I need you to be in your best behaviour. Please.”

“I will.”  I gave a fake smile.

“After this party, you will be going back straight to the states with Daehyun and us. ”

“MWO?!!”

“Don’t give me that look young lady. The both of you are engaged and you were suppose to be in the states not SEOUL.”

“Omma! I just can’t leave everything here and go back.”

“Jae, you wasn’t suppose to be here in the first place.” I was stunned for a moment.

*She was right, I shouldn’t be here in the first place. I should be back in the States learning how to take over Appa’s company. Be a good girl and do what she has to do.*

“Omma, can you give me at least, tomorrow to settle things before I go back?” *Jebal..omma.*

“What? There’s nothing for you to settle Jae. ”

“Omma.. Please. Just this once. I’ll promise you, I’ll be back in the States in no time.”

“Alright , but make sure you’ll be back. Or else I’m gonna have to rush the marriage.”

“Arrasuh.. Komawo omma.”

“The guests have arrived. Well then, are you ready to get going?” Before I could answer her question , she placed the gold mask from the table onto my face. I looked at the mirror once more, if only I could wear this mask forever, I could be whoever I want. Not the Jae who was stuck in the hotel room. I wanted to be the Jae who could spend her time with the OPPAS.

“Come on, you don’t want to be late in front of so many guests.”

-

As we reached the stairs, everyone cheered loudly. I Let out a sigh as I had to face the crowd of rich people again. My mom walked me down to the second platform and passed my hand to Daehyun, my future husband. He was wearing a black tuxedo and with a black mask on. I chuckled as I notice that this time the mask wasn’t covering his mouth but his upper face.

“Do I look weird?” He questioned me softly.

“Ani.. You look great tonight.” I whispered back to him.

“The same to you too, my lady.”

“MAY WE WELCOME THE FUTURE BRIDE AND FUTURE GROOM OF ACE AND JUNG’ s COMPANY!”

“Are you ready?” He lift his arm for me to hold it.

“As ready as you are.” *Here it goes, Lee Jaena.*

“JUNG DAEHYUN AND LEE JAENA!” The music starts playing and everyone was cheering loudly. I felt the spotlight was shining at the both of us as we walk down step by step. All eyes were on us. I felt nervous and I didn’t dare to look down at them. I felt a hand patted on mine. I looked up and saw Daehyun’s assuring look. I became calm. Suddenly, I started to recall the time where Dujun hold my hand so I could calm down. It wasn’t the same feeling.

As we reached down the hall, we started to greet his parents. Everyone else was interested to know more about me and him. Few minutes later, I felt that I needed fresh air. I walked out to the balcony and took off my mask.

Suddenly, a man with a black mask and tuxedo came and closed the doors between the hall and balcony. At first, I thought it was Daehyun because he was dressed almost the same. But soon I notice his hair wasn’t like it. I look at the figure in the dark as he got closer and closer. I could smell that familiar scent. His arms slit through my waist, pulling us closer. That familiar position and those eyes. It was…

“..Du..Dujun?” Without answering me back, his lips gently placed on mine. I remember those lips, how they had given me those sweet moments.

“Jae.. I’ve missed you.”