Chapter 9

An Odd Smile

Chapter 9

                “What’s wrong with you, huh?” you asked Junghwa as you cooked food for your siblings. “I don’t like him,” he mumbled, leaning against the fridge. “Oh yeah? And why is that?” you asked, slightly annoyed. “Because he’s trying to date my sister. Why should I like him?”

                “He’s a nice guy. You should give him a shot. Besides, you liked Seunghyun when we dated.”

                “I grew up with him. I know he wouldn’t hurt you. You’re the one who broke up with him-”

                “It was mutual.”

                “Keep telling yourself that.”

                “Just give Daesung a shot,” you said with a frustrated giggle. It was your habit; you ended up laughing or smiling when you were mad. You had inherited it from your mom. Junghwa on the other hand, became more quiet and cold the angrier he got. He had gotten that trait from your father. “Fine. I’ll give him a shot, but if he hurts you, no more.”

                “I swear you act like you’re my older sibling.”

                “It’s my job since dad is gone all the time.”

                “Shut up and eat, dinner is ready,” you said before scooping out the food. Your other siblings distracted the two of you from continuing your conversation. You couldn’t get Junghwa’s actions out of your head. Why was he acting like this? Is it because of all of the drama over the past couple of years? You sighed before turning over on your side, for once wanting a little space from your siblings.

 

                “So how did your date go?” Seunghyun asked after sitting next to you on one of the tables at school. It was lunch, so you evacuated your classrooms and ate lunch outside. “It was amazing. He’s the best,” he raised an eyebrow, “besides you of course.” He smirked, “Of course.”

                “He took me on a picnic, it was really cute…”

                “And yet you’re so quiet.”

                “Junghwa doesn’t like him.”

                “Junghwa doesn’t like a lot of people. Hyung will win him over eventually.”

                “Are you sure?” He nodded before stealing some of your lunch. “Everyone falls for Daesung eventually. That’s why he stole you from me,” he pouted and you pushed his arm, “I’m joking!” You smiled and laughed before continuing to eat your lunch with Seunghyun chattering away.

                Later, he took the bus with you to the ice cream shop, shocking the big Seunghyun with how much he had been working lately. “Hey, _____-ah,” Daesung greeted after you had gotten changed. You smiled back and said hello in a small voice. Suddenly, you were feeling very shy around him, and he seemed to be feeling the same around you. “You two already like each other, why are you acting like this?” Seunghyun asked in an exasperated voice, halfway through service.

                 Daesung laughed while you hit Seunghyun on the arm, “Why are you so…?!”

                “Amazing? I was born with it,” he chuckled before nudging you over to Daesung. “Do you think I could take you out again sometime?” Daesung asked after Seunghyun disappeared into the back room. “Yeah, of course,” you said with a small laugh.

                “Then maybe Saturday?”

                “Yes.”

                “Around six?”

                “Sure.”

                “If I named anytime, would you have agreed to it?”

                “Pretty much.” He grinned before wrapping his arms around you from behind. Your back was pressed up against his chest, his warmth radiating into you as his chin rested on top of your head. “You’re so cute,” he hummed as you ran your fingers up and down the arms wrapped around your waist. “So are you,” you murmured.

                “You’re not supposed to call me cute,” he whined, making you giggle at his, well, cuteness. “You wear Doraemon boxers, there’s not much else I can call you,” you teased. “Please, please stop bringing that up.”

                “I’ll try.”

                “Now please try not acting so adorably couple-like, it makes me slightly sick,” Seunghyun said with a laugh as he walked back in. Daesung’s arms immediately dropped from your waist. You walked over to your dongsaeng and punched him in the arm, “You are so-”

                “Awesome, I know,” he grinned before dodging another hit. Daesung smiled and laughed before turning to serve the next customer that walked in while you played around with Seungri. After the shift ended, Daesung grabbed your hand, intertwining his fingers with your own. “I’ll take you home now,” he said before picking up your bag along with his own. You smiled and nodded before following him out the door, wanting to swing your joined hands like a little kid, but you somehow resisted the urge.

                “I’ll see you on Saturday,” he said after dropping you off. You nodded, “Yeah, I’ll see you then.”