Chapter 12

An Odd Smile

Chapter 12

                “So he tried to kiss you?” you nodded, “Even though he was your boss?” You sighed and nodded again. “I don’t know…Maybe it was stupid of me to run away like that, but I got really freaked out…and then something happened at home so I just never came back,” you said, turning to look out the window. “That’s not overreacting,” Daesung said, his voice surprisingly low.

                You turned to look back at him and saw his smile replaced by a frown and his eyes boring holes into the table. “That was a while ago though,” you said, smiling at him softly. “But-”

                “I’m fine, don’t worry,” you reassured him. “But do you want to go somewhere else? We can leave now,” he said right before Jessica came back with the two plates of food. “I think we have to stay now,” you said as she set them down.

                Jessica glanced over at you before straightening up and walking away. “Do you want to switch plates?” Daesung asked suddenly. “Why?”

                “In case she did something to it.”

                “Quit worrying so much.”

                “I can’t help it,” he said with a pout. “At least you’re cute; it makes up for it,” you teased before taking the first bite of your food. Daesung watched you carefully as you did, making sure that you weren’t going to start choking or something like that before beginning to eat his own. As you continued to eat without having a horrible reaction, he seemed to settle down and return to his normal, happy self. That is, until Leeteuk arrived.

                “______-ah?” he asked, his eyes widening. You did your best to smile at him as you nodded, “Hey, Leeteuk-ssi.” He smiled before walking up to your table, “How have you been? It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve seen you.” Daesung frowned and picked at his food.

                “I’m alright.”

                “Are things better at your home now?” he asked in his usual motherly manner. “Um…I guess things are a little better,” you said with a nod, giving your old boss most of your attention. “Do you want to come back to work? I really miss having you around,” he said, his tone becoming softer and tinged with longing.

                “No she doesn’t,” Daesung suddenly said, smiling at Leeteuk, “She’s perfectly happy at her new job now, thank you very much.” Leeteuk paused before turning to look at Daesung as if he had just noticed him now. Daesung continued to smile at him, but there was something in his eyes that made you feel slightly uneasy.

                “And who are you?” Leeteuk asked. “I’m her boyfriend,” Daesung replied, making you smile at the way he was puffing himself up. “Oh…You have a boyfriend?” Leeteuk turned back to you. “Apparently.”

                Leeteuk nodded before walking away awkwardly. “Come on, let’s go,” Daesung said, getting up, “Coming here was a bad idea.” He took some money out of his pocket and set it on the table before walking out the door with you hurrying to not get left behind. “What’s wrong?” you asked once the two of you were back on the street.

                “Apparently?” he asked after a moment. “Apparently what?” you asked as he sighed. “Apparently I’m your boyfriend? What’s that supposed to mean?”

                “It means I was really surprised about how you were acting.”

                “I was acting like your boyfriend.”

                “You were acting like you were jealous,” you said with a shrug, “It surprised me. I didn’t think you were the jealous type.” He grabbed your hand and sighed, “Sorry but I really do get jealous easy. Even with Seungri sometimes…. I try to hide it though.”

                “It’s okay. You’re still cute,” you said, squeezing his hand reassuringly. “I’m not cute,” he pouted making you laugh. “Well Mr. Not Cute, I’m still hungry, so can we go get some food?” you asked. He nodded and began to walk with you farther down the street to a lady who was selling street food. He bought you both some before sitting down next to you on a bench.

                “This is a lot better than sitting inside anyways,” you said, leaning on his shoulder after you finished. “Next time I’ll pick a place that doesn’t have bad memories for you,” he said, wrapping his arm around your shoulders and pulling you close to him. “Don’t worry,” you said, “That’s the only food place I’ll have issues with.”

                He chuckled and it reverberated through you, making you smile more as you closed your eyes. “I’ll make a note of that.” You nodded and groaned when he moved to get up. “What?” he asked surprised. “I was comfy,” you pouted.

                “Yeah but I think your brother will kill me if I keep you out any later,” he said before standing up. You slowly got up as well, dragging your feet to the car, which was apparently very amusing to Daesung. “Don’t worry, we’ll see each other tomorrow,” he said, messing up your hair as he started the car. “True,” you nodded.

                “But if you miss me, you can always text me,” he said, giving you a wink. “Yah! How can I miss you if I just saw you?” you exclaimed, blushing bright red. “B-Because…?” he shrugged, his lower lip jutting out. You shook your head as he parked. You quickly undid your seatbelt before leaning over to kiss him on the cheek. “Good night!” you said before getting out and going up to your apartment while he stayed in the car due to shock.