Epilogue

An Odd Smile

Epilogue

 

                “Can I help?” you asked Daesung’s mom as she busily rushed around the kitchen. It was your birthday, so you were at Daesung’s apartment celebrating with your and his families. Seungri was there too, but he was like family as well.

                “No, go have fun!” she shooed you out of the kitchen, making you laugh slightly. You had accepted the way she acted towards you a while back; you had even taking to calling her mom somewhere along the line. She had been the one to plant the thought in your head, but she obviously relished it every time you called her by that name. So, you sometimes used it to your advantage.

                “Omani,” you whined, “I want to help you. You never let me help you.”

                “You can help me after you marry my son!” she teased, “Then you’ll be living here for the first year anyways.” You smiled and shook your head before walking back into the living room, knowing better than to argue further with her.

                The kids were running around the living room, playing with Daesung’s father and Seungri. You dad was there as well, but he was taking a quick nap in one of the comfy chairs. Daesung was sitting on the couch, saving your spot since he knew you would fail at any attempt to help prepare your birthday dinner.

                “What did she say?” he asked as you sat down. His arm wrapped around your shoulders and pulled you close.

                “She said I can help after we’re married.”

                “Hmmm…”

                “I guess I’ll just have to wait,” you said right before Ahrin jumped onto your lap. Within the last year, she had gotten more rambunctious than even her brothers. You thought it had something to do with Daesung playing with them all the time, but Seungri might have something to do with it too. The twins tackled Seungri to the ground as Ahrin settled on your lap. Junghwa watched them with a small smile, chuckling softly.

                “Play with me,” Ahrin demanded, poking Daesung’s chest as she moved from your lap to his. He pulled his arm back away from you and made a roar like a monster as he began to chase her around. She loved playing monster with him. Soon, the twins joined in as well. Seungri got up and snuck away before taking Daesung’s spot on the couch.

                “So when are the two of you going to sneak away?” Seungri asked.

                “After dinner he’s taking me out for about an hour. That’s what Omani agreed to at least,” you said, looking forward to alone time despite how much you loved being around all of these people. Seungri nodded and pulled out a folded envelope from his pocket.

                “It’s your present,” he said as an unnecessary explanation before handing it over to you.

                “Thank you.” You put it in your pocket, waiting till you got home to open it. A few minutes later, Daesung’s mom called for everyone to get to the table. It was time to eat. Dinner was loud and happy. The seaweed soup was delicious and the cake after was just as good.

                You attempted to help clean up the table but got pushed away towards Daesung. “One hour,” his mother said, giving you a wink before turning back to the table. You laughed but walked over to your boyfriend and grabbed onto his hand.

                “Ready to go?” he asked. You nodded and the two of you walked out the door. You expected to go to his car but Daesung pulled you down the street. The lamps lit up the sidewalk as the two of you began to walk around the block.

                “Is this our romantic time?” you teased, swinging your arms.

                “Any time with you is romantic,” he laughed.

                “Quit being cheesy,” you giggled, “Or I’ll bring up the-”

                “Why?” he exclaimed, louder than intended. You snorted with laughter before he stopped. You turned to see a fancy apartment building, a little bit above middle class affordability. You turned back to him with a curious look.

                “One day, we’re going to live in an apartment in a place like that,” he said.

                “On a pastor’s salary?” you asked, “I haven’t even started college yet. I’m still saving up, how do you expect that we’re going to do that?”

                “I don’t know,” he admitted, “But I’ll make it happen, I promise.”

                “You promise?” you asked, raising an eyebrow. He nodded before reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a small, silver ring. It was plain, but it was beautiful. He pulled your left hand towards him and slid the ring on your left ring finger.

                “I also promise that this will turn into an engagement ring when I finish college,” he said, his face completely serious.

                “Then what is it until then?” you asked, unable to turn your gaze away from cold metal circle.

                “A promise ring of course,” he said, that smile that you loved breaking across his face. You let out a small chuckle before smiling as well.

                “Then you need one too,” you said, talking about the ring.

                “Why?”

                “Because I promise to say yes.”

                He didn’t reply to that. Instead, he pulled you into a kiss, his hands resting firmly on your waist. You fingers tangled in his hair, deepening the kiss. Someone cleared their throat as they walked by and the two of you broke away, both blushing bright red.

                “Well, we still have thirty-five more minutes,” you said after checking you phone, “What do you want to do? Get ice cream?”

                “You work in an ice cream parlor all day and you still want ice cream?” you nodded, “Ice cream it is!” The two of you walked down the street a little ways until reaching a frozen yogurt store; it was close enough.

                When you got back to his family’s apartment, his mother immediately congratulated the two of you. You half expected her to pull out a bunch of bridal magazines. Your father pulled Daesung off to the side. You were a little worried, but the worries washed away when you saw the two of them hug. Seungri walked over to you, “Congrats!”

                “We’re not engaged yet.”

                “Close enough,” he teased before wrapping you in a hug. It was brief, but he let go first. Seungri ruffled your hair playfully before congratulating his hyung as well. The rest of the night was spent in a similar matter until you finally left for home.

                In the car, you pulled the envelope out of your pocket and opened it. A small chain was inside along with a note. It read “I know you hate wearing things on your fingers, so here’s something for you to put it on. Hyung told me his plan. I hope you said yes or this will be awkward… Anyways, just wanted to say, don’t screw it up!” His name was signed at the bottom, making you smile.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ah... i kind of want to pair Seungri and Junghwa together now ^^;; maybe i'll do a one shot haha

at any rate, thank you all so much for reading, subscribing, and commenting! I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as i enjoyed writing it! Thank you!! *bows*