Chapter 24

An Odd Smile

Chapter 24

               

                “When do you need to be back?” Daesung asked as the two of you walked towards his apartment after a date. “My dad is home today so around ten I think,” you said with a small smile before letting go of Daesung’s hand as the two of you approached the door. Daesung glanced at you curiously for that but unlocked the door and stepped in anyways. “We’re home!” he called out as if you actually belonged there.

                “Hello,” you greeted his parents, still a little stiff and formal. “Welcome back,” his mother said before wrapping you into a hug like always. You nodded and followed Daesung into the living room. The two of you had already had dinner, so you were merely here to chat and drink decaffeinated coffee. His mother handed you a mug and you held it with both hands, using it to warm you up.

                The conversation started as normal with every day, mundane topics. Soon, you found yourself getting almost interviewed by Daesung’s mother. He helped you skillfully avoid most of the questions asked. You gave round about answers to the others. “How are your siblings doing?”

                “Fine.”

                “Did your brother enjoy my cooking on his birthday?”

                “He loved it”

                “Oh good, but couldn’t your parents-”

                “Mom!” Daesung exclaimed, moving almost as if to shield you from her. “I was merely going to ask-”

                “Mom,” Daesung said again, giving her a not too subtle hint to hush up. “It’s fine,” you said, patting Daesung’s leg, “My father was working and my mother… She isn’t around anymore.” A silence fell over the room. His mother gasped before looking at the ground, feeling embarrassed. His father cleared his throat before moving onto a different subject.

                Daesung gripped your hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze, but you weren’t reassured. You wanted to leave. It wasn’t that his mother offended him; it was that, once again, you suddenly felt like you didn’t belong. You somehow lasted for another hour before Daesung drove you home.

                “I’m sorry about my mom,” he said with a sigh. “It’s fine,” you mumbled, staring out the window and wringing your hands. “No it’s not. You’ve been silent the entire night,” he said as he pulled into the parking lot. “I’m fine,” you said again.

               “Why are you lying to me?” he asked as he put the car into park. “I’m not.” He shook his head before turning to you, his face completely serious. You bit your bottom lip before glancing at him. You couldn’t look at him while his smile was gone like that. It made you feel like he knew exactly what was wrong, and you weren’t ready for him to know that yet.

                “Stop,” he whispered softly before turning you to face him. You looked down at his chin instead of into his eyes. “_____-ah, look at me,” he whispered again. You shook your head; his lips parted in a soft sigh. He leaned in and gently kissed your forehead. “You can tell me anything,” he said, “So stop lying to me. Just tell me what’s wrong.”

                You shook your head.

                “I love you.”

                Your eyes widened and you pulled back suddenly. “I…” his eyes bored into you, “I can’t!” You unclipped your seatbelt before opening the car door and running all the way up to your apartment. You slammed the door shut behind you and locked it. Junghwa and the kids were startled at you. Daesung banged on the door, but you didn’t answer. You sat on the floor in front of the door crying.