Chapter 20

An Odd Smile

Chapter 20

                You fixed your skirt and looked over yourself in the mirror again. The shirt was second-hand and the skirt was a couple years old, but they were the nicest clothes you owned. They would just have to do. You stepped out of the room and immediately had to avoid the twins as they came running down the hall with Seungri not far behind.

                “Whoa!” Seungri exclaimed when he saw you, “You look like a woman!” You snorted before hitting his shoulder, “I am a woman, you idiot.”

                “Yeah but you never look it,” he teased before dodging another hit. You laughed before sticking your tongue out at him, “I’ll ignore that for now. Thanks for watching the kids, Seunghyun-ah.”

                “No problem. Go make his parents love you.”

                “Okay,” you bit your lip before nodding and heading towards the door. Seungri grabbed your arm and spun you back around before wrapping you in a hug. “You’ll be fine,” he reassured you, “All parents love you. It’s impossible for any parent not to go gaga over you. So don’t be nervous, you’ll only stress yourself out, and then you’ll have issues going to the bathroom later.” You snorted at the last part and relaxed slightly.

                “I feel like you know me a little too well,” you said before pulling away from him. “It’s what happens when your parents make you bathe together as children,” he said with a shrug. You chuckled and shook your head at him before actually leaving this time.

                Daesung arrived right as you left. He tried to hop out and open the door for you but you beat him to it. “You look beautiful, but you know you didn’t have to dress up so much to meet my family,” he said after giving your cheek a kiss. “I just want them to like me,” you said before putting on your seatbelt.

                “Don’t worry about it,” he said, giving your hand a quick squeeze before putting the car into reverse. It didn’t take very long before he pulled into the parking lot of his own apartment building. You tried to remember Seungri’s words as you followed Daesung into the building and up to his apartment. He opened the door for you and you stepped inside.

                Daesung’s family’s apartment wasn’t anything fancy, it was definitely middle class, but it was still better than your family’s. All of the furniture matched and it was clean without looking cold. “Omma, I’m back with _____,” Daesung called out.

                His mother immediately came out of the kitchen. She was a pleasant looking woman who was wearing a Doraemon apron. You glanced over at Daesung and smiled before bowing to her. “It’s a pleasure to meet you,” you said and repeated the greeting when his father came out to greet you as well. “Oh, you don’t have to be so formal,” she said, making you feel a little more comfortable.

                You took off your shoes before Daesung led you into the living room. You sat next to Daesung on the couch as his father went back to watching the soccer game on TV. He would occasionally ask you questions about you and your family, but Daesung would interrupt if it got to a point that he felt you shouldn’t have to answer. He was being good at taking care of you.

                Soon enough, it was time for dinner and his mother made sure to give you an extra scoop of rice. “You look too skinny,” she said, “You should eat more. Here, let me get some Tupperware for you to take some home.” You smiled and thanked her before beginning to eat. You had never seen so many side dishes outside of special occasions, but you tried to keep your excitement under control.

                This whole family atmosphere should have made you feel happy and accepted, but you felt like something was gnawing at the pit of your stomach. You didn’t belong here. They were talking about colleges and politics while you were still wondering if you could even go to college. However, you tried your best to ignore those thoughts and have a good time. You were almost sad when you had to go back home, but at least you had some yummy food to take back with you.

                “Come back soon,” his mother said before giving you a hug. You were caught off guard, but you hugged her back of course. Daesung chuckled before grabbing your hand and walking a little slower than normal down to his car. “I told you it would be fine,” he said and you nodded.

                “Make sure to thank your mom for the food.”

                “You’ve already thanked her like fifteen times,” he said, “I think that’s enough.” You blushed but agreed before getting into the car with him. He drove you back home and made sure to walk you up to the door before you went inside. “How did it go?” Seungri asked, taking the Tupperware from you.

                “Great,” you said but the tone in your voice didn’t convey that feeling.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

You guys have no idea how hard it was for me to type “soccer” instead of “football” haha even in America I still want to call it that…. American football to me is should be a branch of rugby ah sports…

Anyways hope ya’ll liked this! I’m on my winter break so I’ll try to update more! :D