Chapter 10

An Odd Smile

Chapter 10

                                It was Saturday, finally. Date day; D-day. You had no idea why you were so nervous considering the two of you had already had your first date. Yet here you were, going through the few girly outfits you had, wishing you had more time to get ready. “Get out of your underwear and pick something already,” Junghwa whined, getting tired of hearing you sigh and moan about your outfits. “Fine, fine!” you sighed before picking out the nicer of the two outfits and throwing it on.

                “You look nice,” he said with a nod, “even if it is for a date with that guy.”

                “We already had that discussion.”

                “Whatever,” he said before walking down the hall to watch TV. You shook your head before going into the bathroom to style your hair as best as you could. Your three youngest siblings wandered in the bathroom to watch you after a while. The twins sat on the edge of the tub while your sister sat on the toilet seat. “When are you going to be home, Noona?” the twins asked in unison.

                “Definitely before Aboji,” you said with a reassuring smile. “Come back soon,” your sister mumbled, playing with her own brush. “You guys make it sound like I’m leaving forever,” you said, crouching down to their level, “I’m just going on a date, like with Seunghyun, remember?”

                Changho and Changhee nodded, having vague memories of that time, but Ahrin was clueless. “Junghwa will be here to take care of you guys, I’ll be back as soon as I can,” you said, more to Ahrin than to the twins. She nodded and you led your siblings back into the living room right before there was a knock at the door.

                You immediately raced over to open the door. Daesung was standing there in a white button down shirt that was tucked into a nice fitting fair of jeans. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up, exposing part of his arms. You gulped and wished you had worn a little nicer outfit, but you really didn’t have anything better than the skirt and shirt you were wearing.

                “Aigoo, you look so cute!” he exclaimed, a grin spreading across his face. “What? No I don’t, you’re the one who look cu-” his smile faltered slightly, “I mean handsome! You look very handsome.” He laughed before holding out his hand for you to take. You blushed before intertwining your fingers in his; your siblings immediately made sounds like they were about to throw up.

                “Oh, shut up. I’ll be back later,” you said with a laugh while Daesung blushed. “I love you, Noona!” the twins exclaimed while your sister shaped her hands like a heart. Junghwa nodded as you said, “I love you guys too!” You shut and locked the door behind the two of you before walking with Daesung down to his car.

                “So I’m just going to take you to a café this time, is that okay?” he asked, as if you actually cared about the location. As long as you were with him, you didn’t care where you were. “Works for me,” you said, grinning brightly when he opened the door for you.

                He drove you to the nicer part of town and then to a very familiar building. You bit your bottom lip as you stared at your old workplace. You didn’t think you would ever end up here again; especially after what happened last time. You didn’t say anything, hoping that maybe she wouldn’t be here today. You squeezed Daesung’s hand as the two of you walked through the door. He glanced at you, slightly confused at the squeeze, but continued to walk into the café.

                “Two please,” Daesung said as you glanced around, looking to see if she was here. “Right this way,” your replacement said before leading you to a table by the windows. You sat down and glanced through the menu, not really looking at the options. You still had most of it memorized, but you did notice a few new choices. “Do you know what you want?”     

                 “Uh…yeah, I think so,” you said with a smile, relaxing since you hadn’t seen her yet. He smiled before pressing the button that signaled the waitress to come over. Your eyes widened at the familiar face, but you pretended like you didn’t know who she was. “What can I get for you two?” she asked in a cheerful tone, flashing Daesung a flirty smile before glancing at you.

                The smile was immediately replaced with a frown along with that y look you had grown accustomed to over the two months you had actually worked with her. She fixed her smile back into place as she took Daesung’s order and then yours. Once she left, you sighed and began playing with the napkin in your lap nervously.

                “Are you okay?” he asked, noticing something was wrong.

                “Yeah it’s just… I used to work here.”

                “Are you embarrassed to have your old co-workers see me with you?” he asked before covering his mouth as if he hadn’t meant to ask that. “No! No, not that,” you said, reaching across the table to grab his hand, “Why would you think that?”

              “Well… I’m not exactly handsome,” he said with a laugh. “You are so oblivious to how attractive you really are, huh?” you asked, not able to believe what had just come out of his mouth.  “What? I was always told I was ugly.”

                “Whoever told you that was mentally ill.”

                “You’re so cute,” he said with a light pink blush dusting across his cheeks. “Your orders are ready,” the waitress interrupted, setting your plates down in front of the two of you. She flashed Daesung another smile before glaring at you. Suddenly, you weren’t hungry. Who knew what she had done to your food.

                Daesung dug into his food, rightly so because the food here was amazing. You picked at your own meal on the other hand. “What’s wrong?” he asked for the second time that night. “It’s just…” you sighed as you glanced back at her. He turned in the direction you were looking, “Does it have something to do with her?”

                You sighed before nodding. “Do you want to tell me?” he asked, looking at you worriedly. “No it’s okay,” you immediately replied before taking a tentative bite of your food in hopes to alleviate his worries. “Yah, tell me. We’re a couple now, right?” you blushed, but nodded, “Then you should be able to tell me anything.”

                “Well…” you sighed before beginning to recount your memories of this café.