Chapter 28

An Odd Smile

Chapter 28

               

                Daesung parked his car a little bit away from the woman’s house. He got out and immediately began looking for you. On one side of the street, the sidewalk was lined with tall apartment buildings. They were modern looking, probably expensive. On the other side, a small park had children running around screeching happily.

                He walked across the street towards the park. He walked quickly and turned his head side to side, looking for you everywhere. He jogged through the park until he caught sight of a familiar figure. “_____-ah!” he exclaimed, picking up the pace as he ran towards you.

                You turned, your eyes widening; you hadn’t expected to see him here. You jumped up from your sitting position on the grass and started running towards the entrance to the park. Daesung chased after you, yelling at you to stop, and causing people to stare.

                You began to slow. Your lungs felt like they were on fire, you were huffing and puffing, trying to get your feet to hit the pavement faster and faster. His fingers wrapped around your arm as he spun you around. His grip remained steadfast as the two of you tried to catch your breath.

                “Stop running,” he said once he finally caught his breath. The two of you had reached the entrance which was located right across from your mother’s apartment building. You glanced over your shoulder at it, the pain visible on your face, before turning back to him.

                “Seungri told me. He told me about your mom. I’d… I’d never do that to you,” he said, not letting go in fear that you would run away.

              “You say that now, but we’re both in high school. Do you know how many relationships actually last through college? We’re not in some drama. You can’t guarantee that we’ll always be together. So, it’s better to break up now; get it over with,” you said, trying to rationalize it.

              “I can’t guarantee that we’ll always be a couple, but I can guarantee that you’ll regret it if we break up now like this.”

                “I don’t…”

                “Don’t break up with me if you love me. People break up when they’re not in love; they leave when there’s nothing left. Don’t leave me when you love me.”

                “No, I don’t…” you looked away at the ground, unable to finish the sentence.

                “Don’t lie either.”

                “I don’t want you to leave me!” you suddenly exclaimed, “I’d rather leave now then have you leave later! So quit trying to get back together with me!”

                “No!”

                “Yes!”

                “I love you!” Daesung yelled at the top of his lungs. You wondered if the whole of South Korea heard that, everyone in the park certainly did.

                “You’re making a scene,” you hissed as you tried to pull your arm away.

                “I love you,” he repeated again, “I love you now so don’t worry about what comes later.”

                “How can I not worry when I know what happens?”

                “You don’t know that,” he said, softly this time. He took a step forward and pulled you close, wrapping his free arm around your waist before letting your arm drop. He cradled your head, tangling his fingers in your hair, and just stood there.

                “She left because of the money,” you mumbled into his chest, “I thought she loved us enough not to care, I guess that’s what my dad thought too. She wrote a letter though. I found it first. ‘Love isn’t enough sometimes’ that’s what it said.”

                “Then I’ll get a good job.”

                “It’s not that simple.”

                “Sometimes it is,” he said before kissing the top of your head, “I’ll make you happy so that you’ll forget all about these worries.”

                “It’s not me that I’m worried about.”

                “Your happiness is my happiness,” he said, leaving you unable to resist anymore. You smiled softly in spite of yourself, and wrapped your arms around his waist as well.

                “You’re not going to give up, are you?” you asked, pulling back just enough to look up at him. He paused, as if thinking about it, before placing a soft kiss on your forehead.

                “I’m stubborn,” was his answer.

                “So am I.”

                “Then we’ll be stubborn together.” He pulled back but captured one of your hands in his. He began walking out of the park, not noticing the family walking into the building across the street. You noticed them though. The woman’s hair was a little shorter than you remembered. There were a few more wrinkles, but she had aged well. Her hand was linked with a little girl’s and the little girl was also holding the hand of a man at least a few years younger than the wife.

                She laughed and you stared. She turned, as if sensing something, and made eye contact with you. Her smile fell slightly as realization hit. Your bottom lip quivered but you gave her a shaky smile. Daesung stopped and stared at her as well. She nodded at him and he nodded back before pulling you away. She turned and walked inside the building, pretending nothing had happened.

                “Are you okay?” Daesung asked, the two of you walking slower than normal. You nodded and used your free hand to wipe at your eyes but they were dry. You looked back at the park and took in a shaky breath before laughing.

                 “What is it?” Daesung asked.

                “Let’s never come back here again, okay?” he nodded, “I mean… she’s happy now. That’s all that matters, right?”

                “No,” he stopped in front of the car, “What matters is if you’re happy now.” He leaned in and pressed his lips against yours gently. He pulled back but you leaned up and kissed his lips again.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

winding down to the final chapters! Gasp! Kinda sad but happy all at the same time