Chapter 3

An Odd Smile

Chapter 3

                Monday mornings were always hectic. Getting three kids ready for school or daycare was never an easy process. Junghwa helped as best as he could, but the two of you were still worn out before the day had even started. You dropped off your youngest sister at daycare while Junghwa took the twins to school since it was on the way to his own.

                Once school ended, you took the bus to the ice cream shop with a change of clothes in your bag. Junghwa would take care of the kids until you or your dad would get back home. So, you quickly entered the shop and made your way to the changing room that Seunghyun had showed you on Saturday. Changing room, yeah right. It was more like a closet. You changed quickly, leaving your bag in the room, before walking back out front to help Seunghyun until Daesung arrived.

                “Sorry for being late, hyung!” Daesung exclaimed as he came inside, wearing his school uniform. “It’s alright, just go get changed so I can get back to making ice cream,” Seunghyun replied with a laugh. “Eating ice cream more like,” Daesung whispered to you as he walked past, making you giggle. “I heard that!” Seunghyun exclaimed, making Daesung quicken his pace back to the changing room.

                Daesung emerged a few minutes later in another tight fitting t-shirt and jean combo. Lord, you swear that boy was trying to make women swoon over him. You chuckled to yourself before returning your attention back to the customer you were currently serving. You handed him his change before turning to greet Daesung. He beat you too it though, “Hi _______-ah! How was your day?”

                “It was alright.”

                “Just alright?”

                “Just alright,” you replied, unable to stop your smile, “How was yours?”

                “Alright.”

                “Alright?”

                “Just alright,” he said with a shrug, trying to keep a serious face. You raised an eyebrow and he broke out into a fit of giggles. “You’re hopeless,” you said with a laugh. “Aw, why do you say that?” he asked, tugging on your shirt like your siblings whenever they wanted something. “Because you’re such a dork.”

                “Am not!”

                “Are too!”

                “Am not!”

                “I don’t even know you and I can already tell that you are,” you said, biting your bottom lip so that you wouldn’t smile or laugh. “But… But I’m not a dork.”

                “What’s your favorite show?”

                “Doraemon.”

                “You’re a dork.”

                “Doraemon is not dorky!”

                “It is when you’re a senior in high school,” you said as another customer walked in with her two children. You smiled and took care of her order, wanting so bad to bring your siblings here. Just as you were about to reminisce about the good old days when your dad used to take all of you out for ice cream every other Friday, the lady’s son dropped his ice cream right outside the store and began to cry. Without even thinking about it, you quickly scooped up another ice cream cone for him and walked back outside.

                “Aigoo, don’t cry. Here’s another one,” you said as he handed him the cone, “But be extra careful with it this time, okay?” He nodded and gave you a wide grin, showing off his missing teeth. “Thank you,” his mother whispered, patting your ar. You bowed to her before walking back into the shop with Daesung leaning on the counter, smiling at you. “You’re a dork too.”

                “Am not.”

                “Are so.”

                “Well how am I a dork then?” you asked, walking back past him. “What’s your favorite show?” he asked, giving you the same expression you had given him earlier. “Pororo.” He burst into laughter, “See! You are a dork!"

                “No I’m not! It’s my favorite show because it’s one of the only ones I get to watch!” you defended, sticking your tongue out at him. It was your favorite though, that penguin was just too cute. “Why’s that?” he asked, still leaning against the counter, if he wasn’t wearing his apron, you’d be able to see a small strip of tanned skin between the bottom of his shirt and the top of his jeans. This dork was y.

                “Because I have four younger siblings,” you answered with a laugh before another customer entered. After this one, the place suddenly got busy. You didn’t have much time to talk any more except to randomly mumble “Doraemon” or “Pororo” in passing. It appeared as if the person who said it the most would somehow win this competition, whatever it was.

                Near closing, Daesung disappeared somewhere, so you took care of the last of the customers. You figured he probably slipped out the back or something while you weren’t looking, so you went to the back of the store. You needed to change and rush to the bus stop or you’d miss your bus and have to wait another fifteen minutes. It didn’t seem like a lot of time, but to a cranky five-year-old it certainly was.

                You opened the door and took a step inside the room before stopping in your tracks. Daesung hadn’t slipped out the back; he had gone here to change. He was now standing before you, like a deer in head lights wearing nothing but a pair of Doraemon boxers. Yup, he was definitely one y dork.