Chapter 8

An Odd Smile

Chapter 8

                You sighed as you dragged your feet towards the ice cream shop. Daesung was going to ask out the girl he likes. You bet she was beautiful, charming, intelligent, and way better off than you were in life. She probably had a car and no siblings to take care of. A mother and father who she actually could see every day. You stopped in front of the door with your hand on the handle.

                What were you doing? How could you be feeling sorry for yourself like this? You took a deep breath before walking inside with your head up and shoulders back, trying to look confident even if you didn’t feel it. You walked all the way to the back without seeing Daesung. You knocked before entering the changing room, not wanting to walk in on him changing for his sake more than your own.

                There was no answer so you walked inside and dropped your bag when you did. Daesung was standing there, smiling shyly with a slight blush on his cheeks. He was holding a pint of what you assumed to be the ice cream that Seunghyun had made last night along with a bouquet of pink roses. “So do you want to go out on a date with me?” he asked.

                “So you asked my advice on asking me out?” you asked, laughing slightly. He nodded, “Well since Seungri’s advice didn’t work out, I had to ask someone how to ask you on a date. So, is that a yes?” You nodded, “Yeah, I’d love to go out on a date with you.”

                “Really?”

                “Really.”

                “Really, really.”

                “Are you sure?” he asked, still in slight disbelief. “Just give me the ice cream and tell me when you want to go,” you said, laughing at how he was acting. “Oh yeah, here,” he handed it to you along with the roses, “Hyung said we could take the day off so I could take you out if you said yes. Seungri and Taeyang are going to cover our shifts.”

                “My Seunghyun volunteered to work?”

                “I bribed him.”

                “It makes more sense now,” you said with a laugh, “So where are we going to go?”

                “I’d rather show you than tell you,” he said before taking the ice cream back, “If you want to wait by my car I’ll put this in the freezer till we get back.” You nodded and walked out to the front where you almost ran into a slightly muscular guy with a mohawk. “Sorry,” he immediately apologized even though it was your fault. “No I’m sorry,” you said right back with a small bow before continuing on your way. He must be Taeyang.

                You waited by his car, playing with the bottom of your uniform’s shirt. You wished you had at least gotten to change first, but oh well. Soon he came out and jogged to where you were. “Ready to go?” he asked before opening your door for you. “Yes, but do you want to tell me where we’re going?”

                “Nope.”

                “Alright then,” you said with a giggle before putting on your seatbelt. He smiled and mumbled something like, “I knew the Doraemon boxers would be good luck,” but you weren’t sure if that was really what he said. Either way, it still made you smile.

                He drove for about a half an hour before stopping by a green, grassy hill. “I made a picnic,” he said before getting out. He pulled a basket out of the trunk along with a blanket for the two of you to sit on. “What would you have done if I said no?” you asked before following him up the hill. “I would have had the loneliest picnic ever,” he said in a dramatic voice.

                “That sounds extremely depressing,” you said, smiling as he handed you the basket so he could spread out the blanket. “It definitely would have been,” he agreed before sitting down on one side of the, what you now noticed, Doraemon blanket. You sat down next to him and put the basket between the two of you. He had packed some sandwiches along with other typical picnic foods.

                “Did you make all this?” you asked, impressed. “Yes I did,” he said, puffing out his chest slightly. You raised an eyebrow, not believing him completely. “Okay,” he admitted, “My Omma helped me.” You laughed before beginning to eat. It was delicious, and you told him so. He agreed, but his mouth was full so you weren’t exactly sure what he said.

                Once you two had finished eating, the sun began to set. You moved closer to him and laid your head on his shoulder. His arm immediately wrapped around you, pulling you close. “Can we do this again?” you asked, snuggling into him. “How about this Friday?” he asked, smiling as he leaned his head against yours. “Okay but don’t take Seunghyun’s advice on the date. If you do, it will probably end up badly.”

                “What makes you say that?”

                “It’s Seunghyun. His plans always end badly.”

                “Alright, I’ll think of something on my own” he laughed as the sun finally disappeared. You stayed like that for a few more moments before sighing, “I should probably be getting back now.”

                “Oh right, it’s getting late, huh?” You nodded before he stood and helped you up. He quickly packed up before the two of you walked back down to the car. By the time you got home, it was close to ten because you had to go pick up your ice cream. Daesung walked you up to your door. He carried the ice cream while you carried the roses.

                “Thank you, Daesung-ah,” you said, smiling shyly. “Thank you for agreeing, I was really scared that you would say no, especially after having seen my Doraemon boxers.”

                “I thought you didn’t want to talk about that?”

                “Pretend I didn’t say anything?”

                “Alright,” you agreed, laughing again. He smiled before he began to lean down. Your eyes widened, was he already going to give you a good night kiss? Wasn’t that a little fast? Even so, you closed your eyes, not disliking the idea of kissing Daesung.

                “Don’t even think about kissing my sister,” Junghwa interrupted. You jumped back while Daesung cleared his throat. “Um…don’t forget your ice cream,” he said, handing you the pint before bowing to your brother. He slowly walked away, Junghwa watching him as he left. “You brat,” you said before playfully hitting his arm with the flowers. “I know,” he said, smiling as he closed the door behind you.