Chapter 18

An Odd Smile

Chapter 18

                “Is he spending the night?” Junghwa asked as soon as he got a moment alone with you. “Yes, why?” you asked, rolling out the bed mats for the night. It was a good thing you had one extra or Daesung would be sleeping on the couch. On the other hand, the couch was probably more comfortable for him. Oh well.

                “Because he shouldn’t be sleeping here. I don’t think Aboji would like…” he trailed off when he saw the look of annoyance you were giving him. “He’s staying the night,” you said, firmly, before pulling out the blankets. “But-“

                “I need him here, Junghwa-ah,” you said even though you really shouldn’t have to give him an explanation. He looked away and frowned slightly, but didn’t say anything else. “Time for bed?” Ahrin asked, walking in with her favorite stuffed animal of the day. “Yup. Go tell your brothers it’s time for bed,” you said and laughed when she yelled at the twins.

                “So I hear that it’s time for bed,” Daesung said as he walked into the room wearing hand-me-downs from your father’s dresser drawers. The shirt was a little too tight, showing off his muscular chest and arms while the pants were a little too loose, exposing the tops of his red boxers. “Do those have Doraemon on them too?” you asked, making Junghwa roll his eyes and Daesung blush.

                “No…”

                “Pororo?”

                “Quit guessing,” he said as he tried to pull down the gray t-shirt to cover them up. When that didn’t work, he tried to pull up the pants, but that just made him look weird. “Quit acting like such a girl,” you teased before the kids ran in. They all settled in on their respective beds except for Junghwa. He looked as if he were going to take the spot you had designated for Daesung, but the twins started whining, so he begrudgingly laid down in his bed.

                “We’re sleeping next to each other?” Daesung asked, looking a little unsettled himself. “If that’s okay with you? You can always sleep next to Junghwa if you really want to,” you said as you got under the blankets next to Ahrin. “No,” he protested quickly, “I’m fine like this.” You shook your head, but couldn’t help smiling at him. If this was a drama, he definitely would be playing the female role in this situation.

                 He laid down beside you as stiff as a board. It was as if he were afraid to move even a muscle. You turned to him and whispered in his ear, “It’s okay. I promise not to do anything to ruin your innocence.” He chuckled slightly before you turned back around to face Ahrin. She hated it if you faced any other direction. Man, your siblings were bossy; must be a family trait.

                “It’s not you I’m worried about,” you thought you heard Daesung mumble, but it was probably nothing. After everyone had settled down and you had just begun drifting off to sleep, you heard the rustle of his blankets. For a moment, you were afraid that he had gotten up to leave, but an arm wrapped itself around your waist instead. He scooted closer to you so your back was pressed against his chest. “Are you awake?” he whispered.

                 “No,” you whispered back, but glanced over your shoulder at him anyways. You could only make out a faint outline of him, so you laid your head back down on the pillow. There was a long silence before you felt his lips press softly against your neck, sending shivers down your spine. “What are you-” you started to move, but he held you in place.

                 “I love you,” he whispered.

                 “Huh?”

                 “I love you…I just wanted to tell you,” he mumbled, hiding his head in your neck. You smiled and shook your head slightly. This couldn’t have waited till morning? And here you though he was going to try something weird. He was so much better than that; you should’ve known. “I love you too.”

                 “Really?”

                 “Yes, now go to sleep. You’ll wake everyone up,” you intertwined your fingers with his before closing your eyes again. You felt him smile before moving his head back to rest on his pillow. You were so glad to have him here. You’d tell him that in the morning though. Now, it was time for sleep.