Home Alone

What Krystal Didn't Know

 

Nobody knew Krystal was the daughter of somebody important.
Nobody knew she was a rich girl.
Nobody knew she was now an orphan.
Nobod knew her look on life changed after tragic twists.
Nobody knew she lived alone.
Nobody knew she had to balance school and work.
Nobody knew, not even Sulli, her classmates, or the teacher that she had been lying about everything, along with herself.
Nobody knew that the strong image she showcased was exactly the opposite of how she was inside.

 

" Are you sure you can walk home alone?," Sulli said as they stopped at an intersection.
 

" Yea," Krystal smiled and pointed out towards the road. "Your're going to miss your ride."
 

She watched as Sulli quickly skipped down the block to catch the bus.

 

Innocent, sweet Sulli. She felt so guilty about not telling her best friend anything except that she worked for a living. Sulli never questioned her for being so secretive. She was the only one that treated Krystal like a friend while everyone else stayed far away from her.

 

But it was better thatSulli didn't know anything.

 

Dragging her feet up the stairs to her one room apartment, she stuck her key into the lock. Everyday, when she turned the lock, she would hope that Onew would be on the other side of the door.

 

Yet, she always opened the door to reveil the same cold and vacant room. The room she dormed in only had a bathroom, closet, and a window. In the corner, she had her covers and a pillow.

 

She saved on money by eating at school and since she didnt have a kitchen, she ate her meals outdoors which mostly consisted of bread and ramen. On lucky days, she had rice with meat and kimchi.

 

" Omma.. Appa.. I'm home," she said brightly kicking off her shoes and greeted her parents. There was no sound of greetings back. That was because pictures couldn't talk.


Throwing her bookbag carelessly, she kneeled in front of two picture frames propped against  the wall. " I know you don't want me to be this way. I was raised to be much better.. It's been two years since I've lived alone..And in order to keep this room, I have to work and miss school. You understand right omma? You said education was important, but that will have to wait."

Krystal pulled out a paper behind the her father's frame and read it with tears. She had been reading the same paper over and over again every night. Digesting the words. Stained with tears, it was still in good condition. It was the same paper she found on her bedside table when she woke up two years ago.

Krystal-ah,
        Oppa had to leave for America. Don't blame oppa for leaving you. I will be back one day. I know this has been hard on you. It has been hard on all of us. Omma and appa are already on the news. Their bodies were found in the river. The press was quicker than I thought. Oppa has small business to finish. I'm sorry to leave so suddenly. Live well while Im gone.



                                                                                                                                     Sincerely, Onew

" What small business is two years long," she laughed. " How am I suppose to live well by myself in this cold room? I miss you guys so much...."


---------------------------------------


Three boys dressed in black were outside of Krystal's window trying to spy on her. A short boy with many brown shades in his hair tried to hide it by wearing a black beanie. But many streaks still showed. The second boy had one side side of his head shaved and dyed blond. The third boy had a small face and big eyes with long hair. He was the tallest out of the three.

 

" A little higher Jonghyun," Minho said as Jonghyun grunted.

 

He was riding on Jonghyun's shoulder to get a look through the second floor window.


" Your 's in my face! Why couldn't you carry me? You're super taller and stronger. You know im a midget," he complained holding onto Minho's weight.

 

Finally at the right height, Minho looked through the window, and his jaw dropped.

 

" What? What do you see?," Key asked, jumping like a dog on his hind feet. Minho just smiled with misty eyes.

 

" She's changing," he replied grabbing the window frame. Without warning, all three boys charged like cannibals, including Jonghyun and Minho fell on his back.
 

" I WAS JOKING GEEZ!," he yelled rubbing his head. They heard a nearby dog bark and scrambled behind a bush.


" That was close," Key said dramatically as he annoyingly smacked Minho for pulling a stunt. " So when do we take action?"


They all started talking at the same time so Jonghyun cupped his hand over the other two's mouth.


" Not yet. Let our " little" plan take action first," he winked at Taemin.