Discipline a day, A Home away.

What Krystal Didn't Know

 

Krystal finally got to the peak of the hill. The entrance of the school was made of high stone walls surrounding the land except for a metal gate door. The walls blocked the sun from view. Pulling the doorknob of the metal gate, it wouldn’t open. There was a bunch of rusted chains that bolted the door closed. On the left, she saw a nailed sign covered with snow. Brushing it away, she read “ CHOOL OR BOY  AND GI LS. NO VISIT RS”

 

Dismayed, she yelled peeking her face in between the bars. Even though she was far, Krystal saw the large building half a mile away. “ WHERES THE WELCOMING COMMITTEE? ARE YOU GOING TO LET ME IN? ITS COLD OUT HEEEERE!” Her own voice echoed back. Some snow fell off the tree branches from above and landed on her head.

 

Krystal groaned patting it off. Still, nobody came down to open the metal gates.

 

“ Yah, what is this place?,” she wondered. “ The lock is kinda old...maybe if I.. “

 

She gave the lock a good hit with her bag and the chain clanked way. As she walked down away from the door, a small robotic voice alerted the school of their new guest.

 

“ We have an Intruder. Intruder. Intruder.”

 

Her shoes crunched on frozen snow as she kept walking. She noticed that not a single soul has made footsteps on the snow. Looking back, it was only her footsteps that stained the field.

 

“ This place is getting creepier the closer I get eh?,” she said. The secretary had told her this school specialized in students like her. But what was so special about this school if it felt so empty? Rather than a school, it felt more like an abandoned jailhouse with the stone walls. What was its purpose? Not letting anybody escape?

 

Interrupting her thoughts, a pair of rough hands pushed her from behind and she landed face flat in the deep snow with her arms sprawled out. Like a snow angel. Krystal inhaled snow and the cold took over her visage. Trying to ease the terrible piercing, she made the mistake of planking into a push up position. Somebody's foot pushed her back down.

 

“ Oof,” and she met the snow once more. She lifted up only her face this time and a man concealed under black sunglasses and camouflage towered over her.

 

“ Name,” he gruffed.

 

“ Off me first,” she replied rudely. She didnt like this treatment.

 

“ NAME,” he shouted pressing harder on her spine.

 

“ KRYSTAL JUNG,” she shrieked as the cold became unbearable. He took out a walkie talkie. " Krystal Jung checked in."

 

As she shook herself off, Krystal took the time to inspect the man. He was in his late 20s and couldve been quite handsome if he didnt have a double chin and arrogant frown. Retaliating, she plucked her overnight bag out of the snow until the man seized it from her.

 

“ Crouch down. Hands behind your head! You have a little more, so kneel all the way. 당신을 지금 시작에요 ,” he ordered.

 

She didnt dare to piss him off again and did as he told. Her thighs burned with every step and her arms grew tired. When she slowed down, he forced her to go faster. Krystal felt humiliation as she waddled like a penguin who was taking its first steps.

 

“ Mom and Dad, for Mom and Dad, Mom and Dad,” she thought as a motivational force. When she finally walked up the stairs and into the building, she threw herself onto the floor like a dog not caring who was there to watch her. She extended her legs to release the muscle stress.

 

“ Tired already?,” the man laughed at her pathetic strength. “ Get up now.” Kystal stood up and her body swayed in response. It wanted her to have a rest. The man ped her bag and took out things one by one.

 

“ HEY!,” Krystal yelled as he threw her parent's picture frames into the confiscation box. She was about to release her anger until another man appeared beside her with a taser gun. She had no choice but to watch as the man confiscated all of her borrowed clothes from Taemin's guest room and personal belongings. Including her Lollipop.

 

“ None of your possessions have passed my test,” he told her. “ This is Donghae, your new DA. You will call me Kangin Sir. Whatever you do, will get reported to me by him, so be warned.” He dismissed her and Donghae fastened her hands with a pair of Plasticuffs.

 

" So you wont try anything foolish." He took her arms for balance and Krystal stared down Kangin as he walked the opposite way with the confiscation box.  No way was she going to let him go for letting her scrawl in the snow.

 

“ Isnt this a school? Why is everything so serious? I cant walk anymore!” Krystal let out all her frustrations on Donghae and he threatened her with the taser again. He in his teeth and poked her side with it. “ Please dont make me turn this on.” 

 

Krystal was not frivolous and walked silently as Donghae walked down more corridors. All the windows were barred and no sunshine leaked through. She had a feeling this school had more details than what she was led on.

 

The corridor lanterns lit up automatically s the both of them passed by. Donghae mobilized his taser and blue static zapped from two ends. Her split ends rose when she felt its energy. His grip grew firmer as he unlocked a door and threw her in. Without taking out the Plasticuffs.

 

Dorm F4

 

" Dinner in 10 minutes. Ill be back with your new supplies," Donghae said before locking the door.

 

In the dorm was 6 bunk beds, 3 propped on each side. 11 girls with namepins dressed in grey sweatpants and hoodies stood in a single file with their backs down as Donghae showed up.

 

When he left, they scattered back to their bunks except for one. 

 

" Need a hand there?," one of them asked helping Krystal pull off the cuffs. Krystal gave no sign of thanks as she rubbed her wrists. She backed up slowly sensing something negative in the room.

 

Two girls at a bunk were scratching their bedpost with a pocketknife. Maybe sharpening them. One of them was pulling clumps of hair from her scalp leaving bald spots. Krystal was horrified at the sight. 

 

" Where am i," she asked the girl. Her name was Yuri. Her clothes hung loosely from her extremely skinny figure.

 

" Disciplinary School For Boys And Girls," she said shuffling her feet. " Parents send their problematic kids here. Druggies. Thefters."

 

" What did you do for your parents to send you? You seem decent than the rest," Krystal said. 

 

" I.....was a senior preparing for my medical exams to get into college. To catch up with studying, i took pills. Over time, i felt like i needed them even when i wasnt studying. My parents found out my addiction and sent me here as a time of reflection. You seem decent too. What are you here for?"

 

" I dont know...i was transferred here by my previous teachers. They didnt tell me it was a disciplinary school though." The thought suddenly dawned on Krystal. They will help you tremendously. The school specializes in students like you. She got tricked!

 

" You were a bad kid?," she asked. 

 

" I guess," Krystal admitted herself. " Whose Kangin and that Donghae guy? They pretty young to be called sir."

 

Yuri guided her past the girls towards her bunk and pointed to the top one.

 

" We sharing bunks. Oh, Kangin? Hes the dean. Everybody must listen to him or he's gonna give you living hell. Donghae is the dorm advisor of this floor. Make sure we are in bed at lights out. No fights. Or that nobody's missing. The school has 5 floors separated into 2 dorm wings. Male and female are separated. But there are more male then female students."

 

This IS a form of bootcamp! Krystal listened as she climbed up to her bed and hug her knees. She wished it had bumpers in case she ever fell off.  She remembered the untouched snow. " Do you ever get to leave this place?"

 

Yuri looked over to the gray wall as if there was suppose to be a window there. " We havent left the school at all since the school year began. So we havent seen the first snowfall. Our families. Unless they pick us up."

 

Krystal saw Yuri get dust in her eye, and didnt know how to comfort her. " Haha...well its pretty cold out there. I was just outside before Donghae kicked me in here."

 

" SINGLE FILE" The familiar voice reacted with the girls. 

 

Yuri ushered Krystal to follow her. All the girls dropped what they were in the middle of and formed the same single file in front of the door with their heads hung low. To their surprise, it was Kangin who walked into the room, not Donghae.

 

" Up." Everybody stood straight with their chins high for his approval. To them, discipline a day, was a home away. Kangin held in his hands a pair of the same training clothes and boots. He went up to Krystal and ed it to her. She held it, waiting for what he was going to say next. 

 

" Krystal Jung eh? Another Jung member. I knew it. The moment i got that call from your teacher. I accepted you immediately ," he said chuckling. She didnt know what he meant. He took off his sunglasses and pocketed them.

 

" I had your bother in the past. In this same school. Guess troublemakers run in your family. I pity your parents to have such reckless kids." Kangin made a smug face as he mentioned her brother.

 

" My brother? You mean O-," Krystal gasped. 

 

" YES I HAD ONEW JUNG AS ONE OF MY STUDENTS," Kangin bellowed. The girl beside Krystal whimpered at his sudden shout. It was the pulling hair girl. " 아이고! 깜짝이야!," she whispered squeezing a clump of hair.

 

" Yah, You dont need to scream so loud! You scared her!" But Kangin didnt listen. 

 

" He loved to talk back too and made everything hard. But i straightened that boy out. Cant wait to do the same to you. We are going to have fun arent we?," he told her leaning into her face. Krystal smelled his putrid breath but didnt blink.

 

" Get your act together because you wont be leaving my sight for a long time. If you want to have it peaceful like everybody else around here, dont be an attention seeker or a hero. One minute to change into your clothes and get to the cafeteria."

 

As the girls headed to the cafeteria, she quickly threw off her wet clothes in exchange for the dry ones. The material was wind absorbant and scratchy. The dinner bell rang throughout the school and all the kids were walking out of their dorms like zombies. Same grave expressions and clothes. 

 

This school was the school her parents sent Onew when he was going through his bad phase. It was the choice her parents didnt want to make and Onew looked furious the day they decided to send him away. A few months later, they decided to take him back to see if he changed. The same week, her parents died.

 

Krystal never knew it was here.

 

Onew was taken out by her parents. But she had no more parents. She got herself in, so how was she going to get out? There was no way.