Bullying

What Krystal Didn't Know

 

 

Christmas spent with the last person she wanted to be with. Kyuhyun. He was the school's Gym teacher and didn't look any nicer than Kangin.

 

Krystal was awoken at 6 am to start her first class of the week. Physical Education. This was no ordinary PE class. A whole obstacle course was laid out in the gym. And it was not the inflatable ones. She was in the same class as Yuri and 20 other students. But they were the only girls present. Majority ruled for boys. The both of them huddled together like penguins for body warmth. It was better than being alone so she appreciated that Yuri was there.

 

“ Are we suppose to climb that?,” Krystal asked Yuri. She looked up at the spider web looking net that was held up by a single buckle. It swung back and forth mocking her fear as the wind blew furiously. On top of the net hung a bell.

 

“ Its actually really bad the first try. But once you do it everyday, it gets better,” Yuri noted. Krystal's was in no state of mind to climb nets.

 

“ You gotta climb that net. Once you actually get your hands and feet on, its going to be like a rocking horse. Kyuhyun times every student, and every student must ring the bell in under 60 seconds. If your even one millisecond over the maximum, you're assigned to kitchen duty, ” she went on.

 

“ 60 seconds? That net is like as tall as a two story building! How am I suppose to do it under 60 seconds for a first time?,” Krystal whimpered as Kyuhyun blew his whistle. First up was a bold boy with the name Yonghwa that climbed the net without his hoodie on. His muscles and chiseled abs ripped as he used his strength to hoist himself up. Kyuhyun held his gaze at his timer.

 

As expected by his friends, he rang the bell in less than 30 seconds and jumped back to the ground in complete sweat. They all gave each other high fives and chest bumps.

 

The next boy Kwangsoo slipped on a hole. The net swayed as he fell down a few inches. His friends below hollered in shock. Krystal held her breathe until he maintained his balance again. He nearly failed because of that mistake with 57 seconds.

 

Yuri climbed the net just in the nick of time with 60 seconds and the teacher gave her a thumbs up.

 

“ Off the hook this time.”

 

Krystal's name was called and all eagle eyes were on her as she made her way to the net. It was if they were robots who were just to attack mode.

 

“ KITCHEN DUTY KITCHEN DUTY KITCHEN DUTY,” the boys chanted. She was astonished at their sudden behavior and heard the whistle too late. “ GO KRYSTAL GO!,” she heard Yuri shout over the voices. Krystal jumped at the net. She couldn’t reach and grabbed nothing but air. Explosive laughter erupted behind her and Krystal made a larger bounce at the net.

 

She got a hold of the rope and hoisted herself so her feet could start climbing. Krystal then realized how dangerous the rope climbing really was compared to watching others do it. The rope trembled at every step she took threatening to throw her off.

 

“ One hole after the next,” she told herself trying to concentrate on her goal. The bell.

 

Now the boys were chanting something else. “ FALL FALL FALL FALL FALL!” There was excitement and eagerness in their voices.

 

Krystal was sure she passed 60 seconds a long time ago. She didnt realize her hands were sweating profusely. Losing her grip like the previous boy, she fell a few inches. Her foot fell into a hole and wrapped tightly around her shoe.

 

Hanging upside down dangerously, she saw Kyuhyun calmly tapping his timer. He has got to be kidding. Yuri tried to come to her aid but was held back. “ FALL FALL FALL FALL FALL.” The swarm of boys had the look of glee on their faces as they threw objects on the floor at her.

 

“ STOP,” Krystal begged blocking a rock from pelting her skull. She played a pinata until Kyuhyun ordered them to stop. He himself climbed up to untie her from the tangle.

 

New found fear racked her bones that she never had before. Her lack of strength to do anything. She wanted out.

 

She was tired of fighting and the old belief of missing her family resurfaced. A tear fell down her forehead to her hair before she got to hide it from Kyuhyun. But he seen it. “ Toughen up. The fun has yet to begin Krystal Jung.”

 

----

 

Kitchen Duty. It wasn't the best night. Washing hundreds of residue dishware after dinner. This had got to be the gloomiest Christmas ever. Worse than spending it alone.

 

“ Oops.” Yonghwa, who was washing dishes with her threw a whole cup of dirty water at her face. He was single handedly blamed for the gym incident so they both shared Kitchen duty. His anger with her was evident. She felt the grime slide down her face and decided to get him back. That was gross.

 

He dodged the water she flung at him and found this an opportunity to attack her. Grabbing the nozzle and pulling her hair back towards the sink, he turned the nozzle on full power.

 

“ Dont try it.” He blasted her face and Krystal sputtered against the force. Cold water trailed down her neck as she struggled.

 

“ Die! Die just like how your parents did!,” he sneered.

 

Pulling her back up, he pulled her face closer to his and interlocked lips. She knew that he was doing this to her for power, not pleasure. Unsatisfied, he gave her a last slap to the face.

 

“ Everything will be revealed in time. The school gang doesn’t support him anymore. He's no longer the old guy we knew. If you want to save yourself from his plan, you better kill him first before he kills you.”