Keeping My Pride

A Journey To Fall In Love {Hiatus}

"Ami, it's time to wake up," Ami's mother crept in her room. "Your father and I have something to tell you." She sat next to her bed.

Ami's mother, Eunbi, was a hard working seamstress for a clothing factory. While she was working, Hyukjae, Ami's father stayed at home. He watched 1 year old Ami. They weren't the traditional Korean couple, they didn't give their children a traditional name and raised her speaking both Korean and English.
15 years later, Ami is all grown up and her mother has been laid off. They weren't able to pay their house, bills or taxes. Their one choice was to burden & abandon their bills and face the streets as their home. Instead, they borrowed money from their ever-willing neighbors, who also happen to be close friends with Eunbi& Hyukjae. The bills were paid off, and taken care of. Meanwhile, Hyukjae got a stable job as a chef. Everything was fine until 4 years later. Nothing was returned to the family they've borrowed from.

"Ah?" Ami's eyes opened, her eyes gleaming to a beautiful day ahead. "Ami, we have some news for you.." Her mother lead ami downstairs. "So.. What's the news" Ami took a seat at the breakfast table. "How can we say this gentl-"
"You're getting married!" Hyukjae blurted out. Ami nearly choked at the news.
 "Yeobo! I thought we were gonna be thoughtful about this."
"You talk too slow. That's why I beat you!" Hyukjae's deep voice spoke.
"What do you mean, I'm getting married?" She tried to stay calm.
"Remember that time when we weren't able to pay off our bills? The way we struggled?" Her mother reminisced.
"Yeah.. Why?"
"We haven't paid-"
"- the Lee's back yet." Eunbi cut off Hyukjae.
"And how does this connect to why I'm getting married?"
"You're getting married to their son, Jinki."
"What? I can't get married yet?! I still have things to do. Big plans!"
"We're sorry we're putting you through with this but, please. Remember the time. It's for your family, it's one of the favors you could do to show thanks."
"Isn't the Lee's son, some part of a boy group or something? Oh, and his stage name is Onew, right?"
"Yes but, their group is taking a break. Besides, the Lee's are very fond of you."
"How does their son feel about this?"
"Well, none of us has met him yet.." Hyukjae looked away from his daughter
"Oh yeah, what wonderful parents." Ami, stormed back into her room, not forgetting to grab her plate of food with her.

"How would they think this is okay?! Me- their precious daughter getting married to someone they don't even know?! Ugh." Ami plopped on her bed, looking at the ceiling. She sat up and continued eating her breakfast. "Gosh, may I remind myself that this dude, is an idol.. Which probably means he looks a hundred times better than me." Ami paced back and forth her room. "But why is a marriage the solution to unpaid money? What about food? But, then that would make me starve.. Doesn't my dad make enough? Then again, theres the bills." she took a bite of egg. "Ami! Get dressed we're gonna go see your husband~" Eunbi sing-songed through the door. "Oh, I have to get used to saying that.." she cringed.

"What?" Ami pouted, "I haven't eaten yet." Ami walked to her closet and scowered through her clothes. "What to wear.." She thought, while looking at a closet full of clothes. Just like everyone out there, she 'had nothing to wear'. After 20 minutes or so, Ami came out of her room. She was wearing a simple white blouse under a green/white flannel with a pair of dark denim shorts, along with a black purse. "You look so grown up!" Her mom exaggerated, waiting at the bottom of the staircase. "I wear this on a regular basis, mom." Ami looked at her mom then at her dad. "Your umma just needs new glasses." Her dad shrugged. They all piled into their small car, and drove to a restaraunt. Ami stared at the window thinking, "Remember Ami, no matter what, you'll keep your pride."