Chapter 20-The Unexpected Surprise

My Cute Cola Bear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~March 13th~

Lunch time

“Yah! I’m so excited for Myungsoo’s birthday party tonight!” Min squeals as she pulls a chair next to Nicole.

Nicole smiles and beams, “I know…me too! I can’t wait!”

“He doesn’t know about it…does he?”

“No he doesn’t. He’s in for a big surprise!”

“What did you get him for his birthday?”

“I got him a new video game for his PSP…what did you get him?”

“I got him some comic books.”

“Omo! He’ll love that! He’s a comic book freak!”

“Tell me about it! Mir thinks he’s weird…but then again…Mir collects action figures…so I told him that he was just as weird as Myungsoo.”

“Mir collects action figures? That’s funny!”

“Do you think Myungsoo has been acting a little strange lately? Have you been noticing it?”

“I have…he doesn’t talk or smile as much anymore. I have been nagging him to tell me what’s bothering him, but he said it was nothing.”

“Hm…maybe he’ll tell you tonight.”

“Maybe…I don’t know.”

“Oh…there’s Mir. I’ll talk to you later Nicole! See you tonight!”

“Bye Min!” Nicole cried as she watches Min chased Mir down the hallway.

“Hi Nicole. Where’s Min?” Minho asks as he sits across from her.

Nicole smiles at him and replies, “She was here a few seconds ago, but she saw Mir and decided to chase him down. What’s up?”

“Not much. So…what are your plans for tonight?”

Before Nicole could answer him, Myungsoo interrupted, “She’s hanging out with her boyfriend tonight.”

Nicole turns around and winks at him. “Hi Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo smirks at Minho and kissed her forehead. “What’s up man?”

Minho smiles at him and replies, “Not much. I was planning on taking Nicole to the carnival tonight if she didn’t have any plans.”

“The carnival is in town?” Nicole squeals as she claps her hands together.

Myungsoo scoffs and says, “Did you forget what day it is today? You’re stuck with me tonight whether you like it or not.”

Nicole giggles and teased, “What is so special about today?”

Myungsoo looked hurt and stare at her with his cold eyes. “Cola…did you really forget?”

A smile appeared on her face as she started laughing. “No I didn’t! Happy Birthday Myungsoo!”

“Today is your birthday? Wow…I didn’t know. Happy Birthday!” Minho said.

“Thanks Minho…turning 17 today feels no different than being 16.” Myungsoo gloomily said as he scratches his neck.

Minho took a big bite of his pizza and says, “Look on the bright side…once you turn 18, you’re consider an adult. At least you get to make your own decision.”

Myungsoo grins and nodded his head in agreement. “That is so true.”

“Hi Myungsoo!” Suzy shouted as she approaches their table.

As usual, Myungsoo ignores her and gives Nicole all of his attention. “Cola, feed me. I’m hungry.”

Suzy scoffs at Myungsoo and angrily pulls out a chair next to Minho. She sat down and crossed her arms in front of her chest. Why does he always ignore me? Doesn’t he know that I like him? What does Nicole have that I don't? Her mind was full of Myungsoo when Minho snaps his fingers in her face and said, “Did you know that today is Myungsoo birthday?”

Suzy eyes widen and cried, “Today is your birthday? Omo! Oppa! Why didn’t you tell me? What do you want for your birthday? Do you have any plans tonight? Let’s celebrate your birthday together! The carnival is in town…do you want to go there?”

Myungsoo waited until Suzy was done rambling before he could talk. “First of all Suzy, no one knows that today is my birthday expect for Nicole and Min. Second of all, I have plans tonight. And lastly, NO I do not want to go to the carnival with you. Good-bye!”

Suzy looked like she was ready to burst into tears. She stutters, “I-I-I…”

“Yah…Kim Myungsoo…do you really have to be that mean to her?” Minho questions as he tries to comfort Suzy.

Myungsoo rolls his eyes and coldly replies, “Yes…because she doesn’t seem to get the hint that I don’t like her. I have a better idea…why don’t YOU go to the carnival with her?”

Nicole smiles at Minho and nodded her head in agreement. “That’s not a bad idea.”

Minho scratches his neck and looks at Suzy. “Um…if you’re not busy tonight…do you want to go to the carnival together?”

“No thank you.” Suzy quickly replies. She got up from the table and stomps away towards Hyuna's table.

Nicole shakes her head and mutters, “What’s her problem?”

“Ignore her.” Minho said as he took a few sips of his chocolate milk.

“I’ll catch up to you later Cola. I need to talk to Minhwan.” Myungsoo said kissing her on the lips.

Nicole smiles at him and says, “Okay…I’ll see you after school.”

~After school~

“Are you ready to go home?” Myungsoo asks as Nicole approaches him.

Nicole nodded her head yes as she holds his left hand with her right hand. “Where’s Min?”

Myungsoo smirks and replies, “Mir is taking her home. That means I FINALLY get you to myself.”

Nicole giggles as she leans her head on his shoulders. “That’s fine with me.”

“Kim Myungsoo!” A voice shouted from behind.

Myungsoo turns around and saw So Hee, Hyuna, Suzy, and Hyorin running up to him.

“Happy Birthday!” They all shouted as they each handed him a birthday gift.

Before he could reject their gifts, they ran away giggling hysterically with each other.

Nicole smiled at him and said, “Since today is your birthday, just accept their gifts.”

“I don’t want to…the only gift I want is from you.” Myungsoo pouted.

“Aren’t you going to open them up?” Nicole asks.

Myungsoo scoffs as he shook his head no. “Why should I?”

“Well…I’m curious what they got you.” Nicole said trying not to sound jealous.

Myungsoo grins at her and says, “Maybe later…right now…I want to enjoy walking home with you.”

Nicole smiled at him and nodded her head. “Let’s go.”

Suddenly her cell phone started ringing.

“Hello?”

“Hi honey. Are you still at school?”

“Yes I am mom. What’s up?”

“Is Myungsoo with you?”

“Yeah…he’s with me. Why?”

“His mom doesn’t want him home yet…she’s not done decorating the house. So can you…”

“Don’t worry mom. I know what to do."

“Omo! Thank you so much sweetie! I’ll text you when we’re done. I love you!”

“No problem mom! I love you too!”

Myungsoo gave her a weird look. “What did your mom want?”

“She wanted to know if we were still at school or not.”

“Really? Why was she asking for me then?”

“She thought you left without me.”

“Why would I leave without you?”

“Beats me? Anyways, can we get some ice cream before we go home? I’m really craving for some right now…please?”

“Well…I…”

“Please? Please? Please?”

“Cola…I have plans for us already. If we delay it…”

Nicole gave him the saddest face ever and pouted her lips together. She saw him scoff at her and mutters, “Fine…but we’ll have to eat it while we’re walking home.”

“Thank you Myungsoo oppa!” Nicole cried as she kissed him on the lips. She continues to kiss him as he lightly tries to push her away. As much as he enjoyed making out with her, he really didn’t them to be late for their reservation.

“Cola…” He mumbles.

“What?” Nicole whispers as she continues to shower him with kisses. “I love you Myungsoo.”

“I love you too…but we need to get going.”

“Just a few more minutes…please? Don’t you want to kiss me?”

“I do…but we really have to go.”

“Fine…”

“You can kiss me all you want tonight…I promise.”

Damn! How was she supposed to stall time for his mom to finish decorating if he was in a rush to go home? She had to think of something quick before he found out about his surprise birthday party.

~10 minutes later~

“Hi. I would like a triple scoop of chocolate ice cream in a dish please.” Myungsoo said as he took money out from his wallet.

Nicole heard her cell phone vibrating from her back pack. She quickly took it out and saw that it was a text message from her mom.

Text message from mom: “Okay…his mom is done decorating! You guys can come home now! Everyone is waiting for you guys! Hurry up!”

“Here you go sir.” The ice cream man said as he hands the dish over to Myungsoo.

“Thank you.” Myungsoo said as he grabs the dish. “Here you go Cola.”

“Thank you so much Myungsoo!” Nicole cried as she kissed him on the cheek. “Come on…let’s go!”

“Cola! Wait for me!” Myungsoo shouted as he started running after her. “Yah! Wait for me!”

“Hurry Myungsoo!” Nicole cried as she ran faster. She didn’t want him to be late for his own party.

When Myungsoo finally caught up to her, he held her by the arms to stop her from running.

“Yah! Why are you running? What’s wrong?”

“Come on Myungsoo…we need to get going…please.”

“No…we’re not going anywhere unless you tell me what’s wrong.”

“Do you trust me?”

“What?”

“Answer the question.”

“Of course I trust you.”

“Then please don’t ask me any questions until we’re home…okay?”

“…Fine.”

“Come on…let’s go!” Nicole quickly said as she grabs his hand.

As soon as they reach his house Nicole let go of his hand and was breathing heavily.

“Yah! Are you okay?”

“I-I-I’m fine. Damn…I am so out of shape!”

“Now are you going to tell me what’s wrong and why the hell we were running all the way home?”

“Let’s go inside your house first…and I’ll explain everything to you…okay?”

“Fine.”

Myungsoo held onto her hand and slowly opens the door. It was pitch black and as he flips the lights on, there were screams of “SURPRISE!”

“Happy Birthday!”

“Happy Birthday Myungsoo!”

“Happy 17th Birthday!”

Myungsoo’s eyes widen as he saw his mom, his brother (Kim Sang Bum), an old couple that he had never seen before, Min, Mir, Min’s parents, Minhwan, Minhwan’s parents, and Nicole’s mom standing there with party horns.

Nicole kissed him on the cheek and happily said, “Surprise! Happy Birthday Myungsoo.”

“Happy Birthday man!” Minhwan cried as he slaps him on his right shoulder.

“Happy Birthday my love!” His mom said as she pulls him into a tight hug. “I invited your brother and…”

“Happy Birthday little brother!” Kim Sang Bum cut his mom off.

Myungsoo was so speechless that he didn’t know what to say. “I-I-I…”

“Let the party begin!” Min shouted as Nicole and her pulls him towards the backyard.

His mom looks at Kim Sang Bum and asks, “Sweetie, why did you cut me off? You should have let me introduce his grandparents to him.”

“It’s not the right time yet mom…let’s wait until the party is over. Besides…we don’t want to make a big scene…especially in front of his friends. “ Kim Sang Bum replied as he watches Myungsoo disappear into the backyard with Nicole and Min.

“Your son is right…let’s wait until the party is over.” Her father-in-law said as he slowly walks towards the backyard.

His mom nodded her head and slowly follows him. I hope Myungsoo won’t be upset with me. Heavenly father…am I doing the right thing?

Myungsoo was shock and surprised to see that his entire backyard was turned into a Spider-man theme party. There was a long table filled with delicious food and at the very end of the table was a huge Spider-man cake that said “Happy 17th Birthday Myungsoo!” There were Spider-man balloons floating around everywhere and a Spider-man piñata was seen hanging on a tree branch.

“Yah! Why aren’t you saying anything?” Min asks as she lightly hits his left arm.

“I-I-I’m just surprise and shock.” Myungsoo truthfully answers. “Whose idea was it to throw me this party?”

Nicole and Min both replied, “Your mom!”

Myungsoo sighs as he looks around for his mom. He spotted her talking with Min’s parents as he shouted, “Hey mom!”

His mom excused himself from Min’s parents and walk towards him. “Hi honey…is there something wrong?”

“Mom…I told you that I didn’t want a party. Why didn’t you listen? I already have plans.”

“Let me guess…you made reservations at The Pine Tree Restaurant...correct?”

“Yeah…how did you know?”

“I called them already and cancel your reservation.”

“What?! Why did you do that?!”

“I’m really sorry honey…but this is where you belong tonight. We can’t have the birthday boy go missing at his own party.”

Before Myungsoo could argue back with his mom, Nicole came walking over with his birthday gift.

“What’s a birthday party without a birthday gift? Happy Birthday Myungsoo.” Nicole said smiling as she hands him his gift.

“Thanks…” Myungsoo mumbles. He was upset at his mom for canceling his reservation at The Pine Tree Restaurant because it took him months to book it.

“Honey…I have to go. I’ll talk to you later.” His mom quickly said as she kisses him on the forehead.

“Myungsoo…you look mad. Is everything okay?” Nicole asks as she wraps her arms around his neck.

“I had reservations for us at The Pine Tree Restaurant at 7:00pm and my mom canceled it. I told her months ago that I didn’t want a party because I’m too old for this…but what does she do? She throws me a party and goes out of her way to cancel what I had plan for us. Urgh!”

“It’s okay Myungsoo. We can always eat at The Pine Tree some other time. Your mom went through a lot to make this party happen just for you. She wanted to celebrate your birthday with you. Don’t you feel happy at all about this? I mean…your close friends, family, and loved ones are here with you to celebrate this special day together.”

Myungsoo thought about it for a minute and a tiny smile appeared on his face. “I’m sorry.”

Nicole kissed him lightly on the lips. “There’s no need to be sorry Myungsoo. Come on…let’s go eat. I’m hungry for some food.”

“Aren’t you always?” Myungsoo teased.

Nicole giggled. “Yah! I can’t help it if I love eating.”

~One hour later~

“Alright…it’s time to do the birthday cake!” His mom happily cried. As everyone crowded around the table, Myungsoo quickly pulls Nicole next to him as everyone started singing Happy Birthday.

“Yah! Make a wish!” Min shouted.

Myungsoo put his hands together and closed his eyes. As soon as he was done making his wish, he took a deep breath and blew out all of his candles. Yahoo! His wish was going to come true!

“Are you going to tell us your wish?” Mir teased.

Myungsoo scoffs and shakes his head no. “If I tell you, it’s not going to come true.”

Minhwan rolls his eyes at him and laughs. “I can’t believe you still believe in that.”

“Whatever dude…” Myungsoo said shoving a cake into his mouth. Everyone started laughing as they watch the boys wrestle with each other.

~15 minutes later~

“Yah! It’s time for presents! Open mine first!” Min demanded as she shoves her gift into Myungsoo arms.

“No way! Open up mine first!” Mir cried as he threw his gift at him.

Myungsoo laughs as he looks at his brother. “Hyung…whose presents should I open up first?”

Kim Sang Bum smirks and replies, “I think you should open up mine first.”

Myungsoo nodded his head in agreement. “I like that idea!”

Min made a face at him and pouted, “Are you serious? Fine…be that way!”

Nicole giggled. “It’s okay Min…I’m pretty sure Myungsoo won’t open your gift last.”

“He better not!” Min said frowning at him.

Kim Sang Bum handed him a birthday card and said, “Spend it wisely my dear brother.”

Myungsoo gave him a weird look as he quickly tears the birthday card open. Inside the birthday card was a check for $1,000.00 written to him.

“Yah! This…this…this is way too much!” Myungsoo cried as his eyes widen. He held the check in his hand and kept shaking his head as if his brother was crazy. Why in the world would his brother gift him $1,000.00 for his birthday? His brother was an ordinary college student with a lot of debt, so how could he afford to gift him such an expensive gift?

Mir patted him on the back and laughs. “You think $100.00 is too much? Man…you’re crazy! I can spend $100.00 in twenty minutes!”

Minhwan hits Mir across his head and says, “Are you blind? The check isn’t written for $100.00…its $1,000.00!”

Mir quickly looks at the check again and his eyes widen. “Holy mother of pearl! You’re right! $1,000.00 is a lot! Damn! You’re one lucky bastard!”

Nicole looks at Kim Sang Bum with wide open. What an expensive gift! She thought to herself.

“What do you say Myungsoo?” His mom said sternly.

“Th-thank you.” Myungsoo stutters.

Kim Sang Bum smiled and replies, “You’re welcome.”

~15 minutes later~

After opening up everyone’s gift, Myungsoo had gotten everything he wanted. Min brought him some comic books, Mir brought him a set of numb chucks, Nicole brought him a new video game for his PSP, Minhwan brought him a collectable Spider-man action figure, Minhwan's parents gave him a $25.00 gift card to the mall, his mom gave him $200.00, his brother gave him $1,000.00, Min’s parent’s gave him a gift card to the mall, and Nicole’s mom brought him some Western cook books. Everyone got him gifts expect for the old couple. He assumed that they were his mom’s friends so he didn’t care if they had gotten him anything. They kept asking him lots of questions during the party…but they were very nice and very polite.

It was getting late and everyone started leaving the party. Min’s parents were the first ones to leave followed by Mir and Min.

“Your party was awesome! Thanks again for having me over.” Mir said shaking hands with Myungsoo.

Myungsoo smiles and says, “No problem. Thanks for coming.”

Min gave him a friendly hug and happily says, “Happy Birthday Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo hugs her back and smiled. “Thanks Min. Take care.”

“I would like to stay longer and hang out, but I have to work tomorrow morning so I gotta head out too. Happy Birthday.” Minhwan said as he lightly punches him on his left arm.

Myungsoo laugh as he lightly punches him back on his left arm. “Thanks for coming man.”

"Happy Birthday Myungsoo." Minhwan's parents sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter