Chapter Two-My Birthday Wish

My Cute Cola Bear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~6 years later~

“Yah!  Wait for me!” I cried.

Myungsoo turned around and smiles.  Nicole was running towards him with 2 chocolate bars in her hands.  When she reaches him, she was breathing heavily. 

“Whew!  That was quite a run!” I exhaled.

He chuckled and teased, “You only ran a block!  You’re tired already?” 

I smack him on his chest, “Yah!  Quit making fun of me!  I was going to share a chocolate bar with you…but since you’re being mean to me, forget it!”

I started walking faster in front of him as he caught up to me. 

“Calm down.  I was just kidding.  May I please have a chocolate bar?” he asked giving me the puppy look face.

I sigh and roll my eyes at him.  With a handsome face like his, I couldn’t resist.  I handed him one of the chocolate bar as we walked home together from school.

 

We have been close friends since 8 years old.  Even though he always teased me about being overweight, he always stuck up for me.  He spent most of his time in detention too because he would always get into fights whenever people would poke fun about my weight.  He was known as the “troublemaker” at school, but yet there were so many girls at school that wanted to date him because of his “good looks” and his “sweet charms.”

I look over at him and asked, “What are your plans for tonight?”    

He shrugged his shoulders, “I’m not sure…why?”

My eyes glowed with excitment, “Guess what tonight is?” 

He pretended to think, “Hm…it’s too early for Halloween…ah…it must be “Sweetest Day” huh?”

I made a face at him, “Nope!  It’s my birthday dummy!  Anyways, I was wondering if you wanted to come over and celebrate with me?”

He stop walking and stared at me long and hard, “What about your mom and your friends?”

I let out a small sigh and replied, “My mom is working late at the restaurant again…and most of my friends are going to the school dance.”

“If they’re your “real” friends, wouldn’t they come to your party?” he asked coldly.

I shrugged my shoulders.  The truth was I didn’t have many friends because a lot of my classmates teased me for being overweight.  I guess you can say I;m a loner.

“Kim Myungsoo!” a voice shouted behind them.

We both turned around and saw Hyuna and Amber running towards us.  Hyuna was one of the most prettiest and popular girls at our middle school.  Every guy wanted to date her but she seems to only have eyes for Myungsoo.  Not only was she popular but she was also a very good dancer.  Amber on the other hand wasn’t quite as popular as Hyuna, but she had many male friends that most girls wanted to be friends with.  Amber spoke very good English just like me, but she always dressed like a boy.  I wasn’t sure if Amber was a lesbian or not…nor did I want to find out.  They were the same age as Myungsoo and I was very thankful that they were not in the same grade as I was. 

Amber and Hyuna pushed me out of the way and started walking next to Myungsoo.

I almost lost her balance when they pushed me aside.  Geez…all they had to say was excuse me I thought.  There was no need of them to push me like that.

“Are you going to the dance tonight oppa?” Hyuna asked.

Myungsoo continued to eat his chocolate bar and ignored Hyuna.  He found her very annoying and rude.  Ever since elementary school, she had been throwing herself at him and she didn't seem to tget the hint that he wasn't interested in her.

“Oppa?  Hello!  I’m talking to you!” yell Hyuna grabbing Myungsoo by his left arm.

Myungsoo shook Hyuna’s hand off of him and glared at her with his cold eyes.  “Don’t touch me.”

Hyuna’s eyes widen and pouted at him.  “Well…at least answer my question.” 

“Yah!  Why are you so cold to us?  What did we ever do to you?” question Amber.

Myungsoo stops walking and turns to face Amber.  He glares at her with his dangerous eyes.  “Do me a favor…LEAVE ME ALONE!”

Nicole kept her distance from them when she finally heard Myungsoo snap at Amber.  Uh oh…they tick him off.  She walks pass them and continues to walk home by herself. 

“Wait up Nicole!” shouted Myungsoo.

Nicole stops and turns around to see Myungsoo catching up to her.  “Um…what about Amber and Hyuna?”

Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders.  “Who cares…I didn’t tell them to follow me home.”

Nicole gives Myungsoo smirk.  “Well, you should at least say good-bye to them.”

Myungsoo rolls his eyes at her.  “Whatever…they’re not worth my time.”

Their walk home was quiet and Nicole wasn’t sure what to say to him.  She had known Myungsoo for 6 years and she could still remember the very first day when they met each other.  She giggles to herself as she remembers throwing her favorite cola bear at him.

Myungsoo looks over at Nicole and raised his right eye brow up.  “What are you giggling about?”

Nicole stops giggling and smirks at him.  “I’m just re-calling the very first time when we met each other.  You call me fat…and you also said I had a funny name.”

Myungsoo made a face at her.  “Yeah…I remember…but you threw your cola bear at me…and you also scream in my face saying you hated me.”

“I know…so…when can I have my cola bear back?” ask Nicole.

“Why do you want it back so bad?” questions Myungsoo.

Nicole sighs.  “Well…first of all, my dad gave it to me before he died.  And whenever I feel lonely, I know that cola bear will never leave my side.”

Myungsoo stops and looks at Nicole as she kept walking.  He has never seen this side of her before.  She was always a happy-go-lucky girl with no worries. 

“Do you also remember what else happen that day?” ask Myungsoo catching up to her.

Nicole smiled and nodded her head yes.  “Yup.  I was being bullied by 3 boys and you came to my rescue.”

“I don’t remember you saying “Thank You” though.” teased Myungsoo.

Nicole stops walking and thought for a moment.  He was right!  She never “Thank” him.

She slaps her forehead and giggles.  “Omo!  Why didn’t I ever “thank you” for it?  How rude of me.  I’m so sorry Myungsoo!  Thank you for saving me that day!  You are my shinning knight!”

Myungsoo rolls his eyes at her and continues walking.  “You’re 6 years too late for “Thanking” me.”

Nicole runs up to him and lightly punches his right arm.  “Yah!  I was only 8 at that time.  Plus…who would have ever thought that you knew how to fight at such a young age?" 

Myungsoo scoffs.  “What?  You didn’t think I could take on those 3 boys by myself?”

“Well…they WERE twice your size and I honestly thought they had beaten the crap out of you.  I was too scared to watch so I closed my eyes.” said Nicole.

Myungsoo rolls his eyes at her and mutters “That is so typical of you…”

“I heard that!” shouted Nicole.

“I’m glad you heard it.  It tells me that you’re not deaf.” said Myungsoo.

“Yah…be nice!” yell Nicole.

“I am being nice.” smirk Myungsoo.

“So...you never told me how you knew how to fight as such a young age.” nag Nicole.

“You’re annoying.” said Myungsoo.

Nicole made a face at him.  “I am not!  I’m just curious…that’s all.  But if you want to be secretive about it, then don’t tell me.”

As soon as they reach her house, she turns to look at Myungsoo.  “By the way, I really hope you can return my cola bear back…I have been missing it a lot.”

Myungsoo watches Nicole go inside her house.  He put his head down and slowly walks towards his house.  He didn’t want to give her cola bear back to her yet.

Nicole walks inside her house and went straight into the kitchen.  She set her backpack on the kitchen table and before she open up the refrigerator; she notices a sticky note that said “Happy 14th Birthday to my beautiful daughter!”

She smiles and opens up the refrigerator.  She took out an apple and started chewing on it.  It looks like she was going to be spending her 14th birthday alone this year.  None of her friends wanted to come over to celebrate her birthday, her mom wasn’t going to be home till later, and Myungsoo never gave her an answer. 

She dug into her purse to see how much money she had and found $10.00.  That was enough to buy a really small cake and candles to celebrate her birthday.  She took her cell phone out and quickly text her mom.

Text mes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter