Greater Heights

A Bed Of Roses

"We're here!" Changsub exclaimed.

I opened my eyes to see that we were at the amusement park. My eyes twinkled with excitement as I hopped off the bike.

"Oh my gosh, are we gonna be riding everything?!" I jumped around like how every other child would if they were here.

Changsub shook his head, "Nope, we're going somewhere special.". He handed me an eye mask and urged me to put it on so that he could bring me to the mystery destination. I raised an eyebrow with much curiosity but did as what I was told.

The trip to the destination was tiring. We had to climb up so many flights of stairs. I was worried that I might trip but Changsub held on to my hand and made sure that I was safe throughout. I panted heavily after climbing the stairs as I dragged my feet while walking. 

We were finally here!

Changsub stood behind me and placed his fingers at the side of my face as his hot breath blew on my neck.

"You ready?" 

I nodded as his fingers slipped the eye mask away from me.

I gasped at the sight as my jaw dropped.

In front of me was a beautifully decorated cable car. With shimmering lights stuck on the outside and roses in between. It looked like roses that sprouted from vines and the windows were pasted with self cut heart shapes. I bit my lip as the surprise was overwhelming.

"You went through all the trouble for me?" I stuttered.

"I wanted this day to be a day worth remembering. It took me awhile to get everything together but thinking about you motivated me to do this!" he admitted.

Just then, I remembered Changsub telling me that he was afraid of heights during our picnic at the park with Gikwang. 

Puzzled, I knocked his head lightly and said, "Silly, aren't you afraid of heights?"

He looked to the ground and sheepishly answered, "Yes."

"Then don't force yourself to go on the cable car, we can always do something else!" I suggested.

However, Changsub was reluctant, so he protested,"NO! I want to. I remember you telling me that day at the park that you loved sitting in the cable cars and looking at the night view. Also, you told me that you longed for the day that you can be up there with the one you love and share the moment with him. I want to be that guy, the only guy. So, I gathered all my courage just to do this. I know I can get through this. As long as I have you by my side, I know everything's gonna be alright." 

I looked into his eyes and kissed him lightly on the cheek.

"Then let's go." I smiled.

As we got on to the cable car, we sat by the corner of it. There was only us there. I found out it was because Changsub's cousin worked there, so he managed to pull this off. 

The door of the cable car began to close as the cable car lifted and made it's way up higher above the ground.

I stood up quickly and stood by the window to look at the pretty view. I saw the brightly lit city from a bird's eye view and signalled Changsub to come over.

He slowly made his way towards me and grabbed me by the hand as he took a quick glance of the view and looked away.

Unfortunately, at that point, the cable car began to shake and it came to abrupt stop.

Changsub flipped out and started to panic as he grabbed on to the seat and laid his head there.

I qiuckly ran over to him and hugged him.

"There's nothing to worry about, I'm here." I comforted.

He turned his body toward me and hugged me.

"Let me rest my head on your shoulder, just for a little while." he sniffed.

"Changsub ah, you're fidgeting really badly..." I said with concern.

"I'm sorry........." he cried.

"Huh?"

He lifted his head and looked at me, "When I was 6, I saw my brother jump off a building from this height. I was scarred for life ever since. I never dared take such rides after that incident. To see my own brother die in front of me and there was nothing I can do to stop him. The pain I felt was enormous. He killed himself because my father abused him. He had wounds everywhere. My father even dripped hot wax on him as a form of torture. After he jumped, all I could do was just look at his dead body from that height and distance. I..I regret not pulling him back. I feel as though I caused his death.." 

Changsub's face was flooded with tears. 

"It isn't your fault... You were young. You can't put the blame on yourself.." I tried to console him.

From the corner of my eye, I saw a twinkling star from the window. I nudged Changsub and pointed to the one star shining brightly amongst the others.

"You see that star? That's my grandmother. My grandmother once told me that when people die, they don't disappear from you forever. They become stars and look over you from above. I'm sure your brother is looking at you from the skies saying, 'Changsub ah, don't cry anymore. I'll always be here for you.' Your brother won't want to see you upset like this." 

Changsub wiped his tears and looked to one of the stars. 

"I guess, you're right. Rest assured, hyung. I'll do whatever it takes to make myself a happier and better Changsub!" he whispered.

Then, he turned his attention toward me.

"Thank you for sharing that story with me and giving me the strength to move on from my darkest fear." he spoke.

He planted a kiss on my forehead and pushed my head against his shoulder. I willingly leaned on it as we watched the stars together with much overwhelming emotions from tonight. Changsub hummed a little tune as I fell asleep on his shoulder.

We both sat in the cable car, waiting for it to function once again.