Following in your footsteps.

A Bed Of Roses

"Oh! So you haven't told her...." Aunt Gina said sarcastically.

"Tell me what?" I questioned with much curiousity. 

My mother started jerking into tears. At this point, I was really confused. I crawled over to my mother and shook her legs furiously.

"Umma, what are you hiding from me?"

"I...." her voice faltered, "You're a child out of wedlock..." 

I looked at her with much disbelief. 

"So you and appa.. Were clearly in the same state as I am today?" I tried to reconfirm what I just heard.

My mother nodded in agreement which made me really frustrated.

I immediately stood up and threw a fit, "Then you of ALL people should be more understanding!" I shouted. 

I ran up into my room as Changsub, Aunt Gina and Hyosung followed me. Leaving my mother alone in the living room. I crawled onto my bed and stuffed my head into my pillows. My legs began to fly, without giving a care about anyone around me, into the air and my body was flopping on the bed like a fish out of water. It was my way to express anger.

Aunt Gina slapped me hard on the calf as I screeched in pain.

"Auntie........ Why'd you hit me so hard?" I cried.

She sat on my bed and patted my back as I continued lying down.

The room was quiet, so I decided to break the silence. "I'm not mad that I'm a child out of wedlock. I'm not mad that she kept this from me. What I'm angry about is that.... She had the nerve to get angry at me when she did the same mistake. She out of all the people should understand what I was going through.. Yet.. Sigh." 

Aunt Gina then called Changsub over as he settled himself beside me. I put my head on his thighs. It was definitely more cushy and comfortable than my pillows.

"You kids are still young. You've to take responsibilities for your actions. It wasn't easy for your mother to raise you. She was young and she barely graduated. At that point of time, your grandmother learnt the news that she was pregnant. She immediately chased your mother out of the house. She disowned your mother. She lived with your dad ever since. But your dad's parent's were also opposing this marriage. But since your dad was their only son, they unwillingly accepted your mother. Throughout the months, your mum faced tons of criticism. She called me every night, crying. Until, you were born. She seemd much brighter then. She said that you were the only thing that mattered to her. You're part of her family. So, please don't take it to hard on your mother. She just.. didn't want you to go down the same path she did. Trust me, those were her darkest days... I'm guessing she didn't want her daughter to face such emptiness in her life."

My hands found Changsub's as we held each other tightly. 

"What about appa? Didn't he suffer?" I asked.

Aunt Gina snorted, "YA. Your dad at that moment. He avoided your mother even when she was staying at his house. He was ashamed. You have to know that they weren't truly in love then. But after you were born, things made a turning point."

I smiled as I looked up to Changsub. At least, this time it was different from my mother. I knew that Changsub loved me. We were deeply in love. Clearly inseparable. 

I slowly got up and hugged my aunt, thanking her. I walked out of my room and slowly made my way to the living room to see if my mother was still there. She was. I spotted her sitting of the sofa, crying silently to herself.

I walked closer to her as I got down on my knees and apologised, "Umma. I'm sorry. I didn't realise all the hardships you went throught but I promise you, Song Hyerin is a strong girl. She's gonna get through this no matter what. Because she knows that she can count on you."

As soon as I finished my speech, my mother hugged me tightly. I could feel her tears landing on my sleeves. It was really wet. I pulled away from the hug as I wiped the tears off her face. "Don't cry.." I said as I began to sing the 'Three Bears' song.

She began to chuckle and pat my head, "My little girl's all grown up now."

I looked over her shoulders to see Hyosung, Aunt Gina and Changsub looking at us with much happiness.

"Changsub ah, come here." my mother called out. He came over and got down on his knees like I did and looked at my mother. I pursed my lips, wondering what my mother was going to say to him.

She took our hands and put them together. She held our hands firmly and said, "I entrust my daughter to you. Please take care of her and don't let her get into any harm. Although I know it's impossible because our Hyerin is pretty clumsy-"

"Umma..." I interrupted, feeling embarrassed by what she said. Changsub giggled and promised my mother that he would take good care of me. 

Hearing him say those words, my heart felt so much lighter. It was as if I was floating on air. 

Hyosung ran over and yelled, "Awesome! It's all over now! Hehe, so what's for dinner? I'm hungry!"

I facepalmed, "YA, HOW CAN YOU BE SO SHAMELESS?"

She stuck her tongue out at me and pestered my mother all the way into the kitchen. Aunt Gina followed as well, to see if any help was needed.

So there was only me and Changsub in the living room. I flung my arms around his neck as I tiptoed to kiss his cheek, "Now where were we?" I said cheekily.

He leaned in towards me and I closed my eyes, waiting for my prince to kiss me. 

"OW!" I yelled as I let go off my hands and rubbed it against my waist. Changsub couldn't stop laughing. 

"LEE CHANGSUB I AM GONNA GET YOU FOR POKING ME!" I screamed playfully.

Changsub began running around the house as I chased after him. While chasing him, he tripped over the leg of the table and so did I. I landed directly on top of him and my lips landed spot on his lips. I tried to get up but he tugged my arm and said, "Don't move.. I've been wanting to kiss you all day." 

I blushed as I leaned in for round two.