Backing Away

My Charming Key

 


“Hey!” Key called and ran after her. “Wait!”

Ji Yeon could feel the adrenaline rushing through her body as she traipsed down the hall wishing from the bottom of her heart that he didn’t recognize her.

All hope was quickly deteriorating as she felt Key’s increasing proximity as he paced after her, his strides long and brisk, covering the distance in so short a time that before she knew it, her wrist was caught in his hand.

“Sorry, you’ve got the wrong person.” The words came out of before she could even consider that perhaps he didn’t recognize her at all, and was just following her to ask for fresh towels or extra bath soap. But nonetheless, she yanked her hand out after she said those words and continued to walk. Key, it seemed, was extremely persistent about whatever he needed and wouldn’t take no for an answer. He grabbed her hand again and pulled her around so that she was met with his breath-taking bath-robed figure, damp brown hair, and calculating gaze.

She quickly averted her eyes to the floor.

“Can you please let go of me, Sir?” Ji Yeon asked as she attempted to loosen her wrist out of Key’s tight grip. But Key wouldn’t let go, holding even firmer than before and seeming rather offended.

“’Sir’?” He questioned in shock.

Maybe adding that extra bit of professionalism wasn’t a good idea after all, Ji Yeon thought.

“You can’t fool me, Ji Yeon.”

Ji Yeon bit nervously on her bottom lip, heat filling her cheeks.

Key looked around before pulling Ji Yeon along. “Come with me.”

“—No.” Ji Yeon pulled back.

Key stopped in his tracks and hesitantly turned back around.

“I’m sorry, I have a job to do.” Ji Yeon loosened her hand from Key’s weakening grip.

“If you have any concerns, please…” she stopped for a moment, “…hesitate to ask. Enjoy your stay,” Ji Yeon bowed and walked off leaving Key in a state of bewilderment.

Ji Yeon rushed down stairs, her mind frantic.

*What’s he doing here?! I’m seriously going to go insane.*

When she got back down to the main floor Ji Yeon headed to her office *Okay, just calm down, Ji Yeon, calm down. Ah, what’s going on!* She took a deep breath and shook herself to stay on task.  She walked into her office and sat down at her desk to finish the stack of reports her boss assigned her. *No more waitressing for today. On to real work.* She sighed and crossed her feet on the desk. She took out some files from her drawer and began typing away at her keyboard. It was extremely difficult to concentrate, but thank god, just after a few minutes she was saved by a knock at her door.

“Come in,” she said.

The door opened and the front-desk receptionist appeared.

“J-Ji Yeon, it’s urgent. You’re needed at 2208, immediately. The guy doesn’t sound very happy.”

Ji Yeon looked confused. “What, why?” She asked,

“Apparently you left a huge mess at his door,” The receptionist answered awkwardly.

She was speechless for a moment. Then she remembered how she ran off after dropping the tray with everything on it right in Key’s doorway.*Dangit*

“I got it,” she said to the receptionist and got off her comfy spinning chair.

--

Ji Yeon would have thought it was a dream if it wasn’t staring her right in the face. She had found herself at room 2208 with non-other than Kim Kibum casually lying in bed, reading a book.

“Hello,” he said and went back to reading his book. He was dressed this time, in a black tank top and jeans.

*Who wears jeans to bed…*

 “Just as long as you’re doing your job right?” He said.

“What?”

“You said- earlier: ‘I have a job to do.’”

Ji Yeon bit her lip and looked away. *Why on earth is this happening to me...*

She began to soak the carpet with the wet cloth, trying to remove the coffee stains. It wasn’t going too well.

“Do you need help?”

Ji Yeon shook her head and continued to scrub the carpet.

 “Are you going to continue to act like you don’t know me?” Key asked putting the book on his lap with discontent look on his face.

*Just ignore him,* Ji Yeon told herself. *You’re doing your job, you’re not going to get personal with him.*

“If you’re worried Minho will find out that I made you come to my room…”

That comment took Ji Yeon by surprise. *What? Why did she bring up Minho? Did he see…?* She glued her lips together.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell him. In fact, I wish you two well.” She could hear the tension in his voice.

Key snapped his book shut which startled Ji Yeon and made her almost jump. “I’m going to sleep. Can you get out?”

“But I haven’t finished-“

“It doesn’t matter. It’s not like I called you up for that anyway. I obviously could have done it.” Their eyes met for a brief moment but he quickly looked away. 

“I don’t want to see you right now. So can you go?”

Ji Yeon couldn’t help but feel hurt as she picked up whatever bits of things she could get on the tray and made her way to the door.

She turned the doorknob and swung the door open just in time to be met up by a girl in a pink shimmery dress who let out a frightened yelp.

“Oh my god, you scared me!” She cried.

Ji Yeon backed up into the room. “Sorry!”

 “Watch where you’re going!” The girl snapped.

Key got up from the bed and walked over. “How was she supposed to see through the door?”

“She-“

“And what are you doing here so late?”

“I bought ice cream,” Soyeon said tapping her fingers together. “Cookies and cream, your favourite.”

Ji Yeon looked up at Soyeon in surprise. *That… ice cream*

Key cleared his throat. “No thanks, I... lost my taste for sweets like that." 

Soyeon pouted then she looked at Ji Yeon curiously. “Why are you still here?” She asked.

“Oh! I’m just-- going” Ji Yeon squeezed through the gap between Soyeon and the wall and made her way out, feeling incredibly flustered.

“She looks kind of familiar, that girl,” Soyeon commented as she watched Ji Yeon speed-walk down the hall. “What was she doing in your room?”

“Does it matter?”

“Ehh? That sounds suspicious.”

“I’m tired, Soyeon. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Soyeon pouted. “Fine.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight—“

Key gently closed the door and made his way to the bed.

But instead of  settling himself on it he sat down on the floor with his back against the mattresses and with one leg out. That kiss had been playing through his head endless amount of times that day. He pounded his fist against the bed frame.


Haaaii~~ ^^

It seems some people forgot--Soyeon was introduced in ch 36. She's the girl whose family is close to the Kim family. Mr.Kim told Key to take her to Korea with him because she needs a vaction.