Jessica, Gangs, and Caught in a Dream

My Charming Key

super long chapter.


Minho waited. “Well? What is it?”

“I couldn’t help but see you looking all sulky, and I figured it’s relative to a certain female…”

“Are you serious?” Minho began to walk away.

“Listen to me,” Jessica called after him.

“No, I don’t want to listen to you—like why are you even here? Aren’t you done with Key? Haven’t you played him enough?”

“Look, my transfer to this Academy may have just been out of curiosity. But now…” She hesitated. “I need him.”

Minho raised an eyebrow.

"And you know what he told me?” She added. “He told me he didn't feel anything. What kind of guy doesn’t feel anything when a gorgeous girl kisses him on the lips?” Jessica scoffed and sharply turned away.

"And you're telling me this, why?"

“Because... I need your help."

"Not happening. Leave me alone.”

“Why are you being so stubborn? Can’t you see? We’re in the same boat.”

“No—we’re not.”

“Yes, we are. Key liked me before, and I hear Ji Yeon had a crush on you before too.”

“—how”

“I have my sources,” Jessica cut in. “Anyway, all that can come back if you cooperate.”

Minho gave Jessica an are-you-kidding-me-face. “Right. You actually think I’d cooperate in your little game? He’s my friend and you’re still the same. I don’t trust you okay? And did you wait for me or something? Don’t waste your time.” Minho adjusted the straps on his shoulder and turned around.

“Then! - What if I said I liked you?” 

Minho furrowed his eyebrows and looked back “Huh?”

“What if I said I liked you?” Jessica repeated with a half smile.

“It’s getting late. Maybe you should go home and sleep,” Minho suggested with mocked kindness.

“You think I’m joking,” Jessica smirked. “Or you don’t mind that I’d start going after you in the mean time.”

*In the meantime?* Minho blinked rapidly, a distasteful look on his face.

“So are you going to answer my question? …If I said I liked you.”

“Don’t even bother. I already like someone.”

"Her?" Jessica narrowed her eyes. “You have such bad taste.”

“Tell that to Key, I dare you," Minho replied and walked off this time without looking back.

----------

 

“Finally.” Ji Yeon stacked the sheets of paper that made up her and Seungho’s finished lab. “We’re done. Good work.”

“I’ll hand it in,” Seungho offered. “You go have lunch.”

“Is that okay?”

Seungho nodded.

“Alright thank you!”  Ji Yeon handed him the lab and grabbed her things.

“Thank you. If you didn’t ask for an extension we’d both be screwed,” Seungho replied.

Ji Yeon smiled and nodded. “Bye, Seungho.” She waved.

 “See ya.”

Seungho smirked and shook his head.

 

Ji Yeon made her way out of the library and down the stairs. At every descending level she peered round. *Where’s Key?*

He hadn’t been in any of her morning classes and Ji Yeon was getting slightly worried. *Maybe he’s ditching? Again?* Her eyes crinkled at the corners.*How is he still in the council?* She shook her head.

As soon as she made it down to the last level she felt someone poke her in the back. *Key?*

She turned around.

Annie appeared before her. “JI Yeonnie!”

“Annie!”

“Have you seen Onew?” She asked looking totally worn out from carrying all the heavy textbooks with her.

“No, why?”

“He needs to tutor me.” She pouted.

“He’s tutoring you?”

“Yeah!” Annie beamed. “It took a lot of work okay? He’s always surrounded by these groups of girls pretending to be nerds.”

“But aren’t y-“

Annie shook her head. “I’m a true nerd and Onew and I are soul mates.”

Ji Yeon laughed.

“Anyway, you need to help me find him.”

 

After ten minutes of wandering the school Ji Yeon and Annie ended up at the cafeteria.

“You actually didn’t check here yet?” Ji Yeon asked, amazed.

“I don’t know why – I totally missed it. I like ran-sacked the library, the chess club, the Shinee council meeting room, and the math and geography department,” Annie replied desperately.

Ji Yeon tried to see through the mob of students in the cafeteria. “I think that’s him. There!”

Annie looked as well. “Yeah! It is him! Come ji Yeon.”

*Maybe Key’s there* Ji Yeon thought hopefully.

When she arrived she was surprised to find Jonghyun, Taemin, Onew, Minho, and Jessica sitting at the Shinee table deep in discussion.

“You know those guys we messed with last year? I hear they’re back.”

“Who?” Jessica asked.

Jonghyun glowered at her. “Why is she here, Minho?”

“Look, I don’t know!” He peeled Jessica’s fingers off of his arm. 

Jessica smiled. “Minho’s my substitute until I get Key,” she said simply and tossed her hair back.

Minho rolled his eyes and shifted over.

“Onew!” Annie sqeaked.

Onew looked up. “Hm?” Then his mouth slowly formed an ‘o’ shape. “Oh, I forgot! …I’m sorry Annie-sshi.”

Annie blinked. “You… forgot?”

“Yeah,” Onew replied sheepishly, rubbing his neck.

“Oh.”

Ji Yeon noticed Annie’s expression and wanted to change the subject.

“Can we sit?”

“Yeah, yeah! Guys make room.”

Ji Yeon sat down on the other side of Minho and Annie sat down beside Jonghyun, across from Onew.

“So… what were you guys talking about before?” Annie mumbled.

Onew still looked apologetic.

“Oh yeah,” Jonghyun began. “We were talking about these guys that ganged up on us because the leader of the group got his girlfriend taken by Key.”

*Loaded topic.* Ji Yeon and Annie blinked and exchanged looks.

“And what did Key do?” Annie asked.

“He fought back obviously!” Taemin said proudly.

“Though—“ Jonghyun added, “Not really for the girl; the guy got dirt on his new white shirt.”

Ji Yeon and Annie, and even Jessica’s jaws dropped. *Are you kidding me…* they thought simultaneously.

“Also the leader called the girl a and made her cry, and as a member of the council that can’t be tolerated,” said Onew.

“Anyway, it gets better when we come in.” Jonghyun winked. “We got involved and they got quite a beating.”

“Aw yeah~” The shine guys said and high fived each other.

“They pretty much hate us now,” piped Taemin.

“Actually hate would be an understatement,” Minho corrected. “They basically loathe every single cell in our body and want to tear us apart for humiliating them.” Taemin nodded to this.

“But don’t worry,” Jonghyun assured. “We’ve taken them before. It’s no big deal, really.”

Ji Yeon nodded slowly: wondering and genuinely curious about what these guys do in their spare time.

Suddenly she couldn’t keep it in anymore. “Where’s Key?”

Jessica was wondering the same thing.

“He’s sick,” Jonghyun replied.

“Sick?”

“Yeah. Apparently… Kim Ki Bum was at your place a while ago?” He smirked. “He came back soaking wet in the rain. Couldn’t even give him an umbrella?”

“I didn’t know it was raining…”

“Wait. What was Key doing at your house?” Jessica snapped.

“What is it to you? Huh?” Jonghyun taunted back at her.

“Shut up, Dino.” She jabbed Jonghyun’s forehead with two fingers.

“—Get your filthy—“

“Guys let’s get to class,” Onew interjected after taking a glance at his watch.

“Aish!”

 

Everyone got up and Annie gathered up her courage.

 “O-Onew,” She said meekly.

“Yeah?”

“Can I- do you- can I walk you to class?”

Onew scratched his head. “Uh, sure. It’s pretty far though. Fourth floor.”

“I don’t mind,” Annie said quickly.

Onew looked at Annie with a sympathetic expression. Then he smiled. “That’s great. I don’t like walking alone anyway.” He held out his arm. “Let’s go?”

“Really?!” Annie inched closer and shyly held onto Onew’s arm.

“Aaayy,” Jonghyun said watching the two leave.

“Let’s go Ji Yeon?” Minho smiled and nodded his head to the side.

“Yeah.”

“Aaayy, you too?”

“Hey, I’m going too!” Jessica went on the other side of Minho and clung onto his arm.

“Get-get-off.” Minho struggled out of her grasp and then they were out of sight.

Taemin avoided eye contact with Jonghyun.

Jonghyun sighed. “Looks like it’s just you and me.”

“Uh, no,” Taemin said. “Walk by yourself.” He grabbed his stuff and left.

“Oh, come on!” Jonghyun cried and ran after him.

-----

After school Ji Yeon made up her mind. She was going to go visit Key at the dorm. *It’s your fault he’s sick* Ji Yeon thought to herself. Repaying him with porridge might not be so bad. She would just be dropping it off then leaving. She had a ton of work to do at home.

After she got home and put her things down she began cooking. When she finished she packed the porridge into a Tupperware box and tied it with a blue cloth. She smiled. *I think it tastes alright. He’ll like it.*She got ready and made her way to Shinee’s dorm.

 

After a long walk she reached the building and stepped inside. *Right. Which room is it?* She went to the receptionist’s desk.

“Excuse me, which room number is Key—Kim Ki Bum in?”

“Kim Ki Bum…” The male receptionist flipped through a binder. “Are you just visiting?”

Ji Yeon nodded.

“Room 312.”

“Thank you very much,” Ji Yeon said and made her way to the room.

She arrived at the door labeled 312 and hesitated. *This isn’t weird right?* She realized she had never actually stepped into Key’s home before. *But it’s normal to visit someone when they’re sick,* She reasoned. *I’m just dropping this off and leaving right after.* She nodded and knocked.

After a few seconds the door was answered and Minho appeared on the other side.

“Is it the pizza guy?” Jonghyun called out and laughed. A loud slap could be heard.

“Ji Yeon!” Minho exclaimed.

“Ji Yeon?!”

“Noona!”

All the guys gathered at the door.

“Hey, look who’s here,” Onew greeted.

“Hey guys.” Ji Yeon waved.

“What’s that? Is it for Key?” Jonghyun asked.

“I’m just dropping it off. Here. I’ll be leaving now, bye!” She said quickly.

“What? Come in!”

“Key’s in bed. Wanna see him?” Taemin offered.

Ji Yeon blushed and shook her head.

“Come in anyway!” The guys grabbed her and pulled her in.

“Can I take your coat?” Onew asked.

“I won’t be staying, I kinda have to go.”

“Oh come on, what do you have to do?” Jonghyun asked.

“A lot of things.”

“Like?”

“House chores, homework, grocery shopping.”

“Come on, just for a bit.”

“Yeah, just stay for a while,” Minho insisted.

She finally gave in. “Okay…”

“Yay!” Taemin clapped his hands. “Let’s watch a movie!”

They were all into the crazy action movie for about a good thirty minutes before they heard a loud thud.

Onew paused the movie. “Did you guys hear that?”

“Is he dying?” Jonghyun asked.

“I’ll go check.” Ji Yeon got up.

“Turn the corner and it’s on your left.”

Ji Yeon nodded and headed to the room. She opened the door and stepped inside.

“Key? Are you okay?” She whispered.

*He seems to be sleeping quite peacefully though.* 

“Key…?” She stepped closer towards the bed. She looked down at his face. He looked calm and deep in sleep. His smooth jaw line angled sharply. A lock of hair hung over his eye and his hair was sprawled over the pillow like a mop. He managed to look pretty good for a sick person, Ji Yeon thought.

*I guess he’s fine.* She took one step closer to make sure. 

She accidently stepped on a piece of clothing on the floor and slipped. Before she knew it she had landed on the bed right on top of Key. 

*No!*

She held her breath.

*OH GOD. DON’T WAKE UP. PLEASE DON’T WAKE UP* She prayed.

Their faces were barely touching and she needed to slowly and softly push herself up and off. *Oh no, I’m dipping the bed.* She squeezed her eyes shut and gently tried to remove herself.

Immediately Key’s eyes opened. Ji Yeon froze. 

 


 

This may officially be the longest chapter in this story. And I'm sorry There were so many things that needed to be mentioned and I guess here they all are~

Also sorry for the delay, I've been bombarded with assignments like no tomorrow (joke directed at 21, 2012) --but actually. Even over the break they gave a ton of assignments :/

So I apologize <3

Thanks for being patient ^^  and thanks for supporting! <3

Comments are loved! ^^ And Happy New Year :)