Ditching

My Charming Key

At that very moment the library doors slammed open.

Key came stalking in, and grabbing Seungho by the collar, he roughly threw him against the wall.

Ji Yeon gasped.

“Ow-! What the fu-?” Seungho groused in confusion at the sudden introduction.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Key seethed.

“What the hell are you even talking about?!”

 “Don’t act innocent, !” Key shoved him harder, twisting his tie.

“Key, what are you doing?!” Ji Yeon cried.

“He just made a move on you! This sick bastard!"

“What the frick--?!”

 “Key, let him go!”

“Nope, he's gonna die - "

“—Make a move on her? What are you talking about?” Seungho looked at him as if he was mad. “I was just reaching for my calculator!”

Key scoffed, taking Seungho’s words as a sad excuse. He raised his fist, itching to pound it into the latter’s face but caught himself right after a swift glance down at Seungho’s shaking hand. It was grasping, unmistakably, a calculator.

He blinked, and his eyes rapidly darting back and forth as realization overcame him.  Key slowly loosened his grip, mouth parted in disconcert. 

 “Seungho, are you okay?” Ji Yeon came towards them.

“I don’t know—ack, my neck…”

 Key stood there blank in the face. “I didn’t—“ He backed away feeling like the biggest idiot that ever walked the planet.

“Is he your boyfriend or something? Why is he acting so freaking protective?” Seungho spat, rolling his shoulders, un-tensing them from their last encounter with the wall.

“No, he’s not…”

“Ji Yeon—“

“We’re kinda in the middle of a project, so can you—“

“—yeah,” Key interjected. “Sure.” He didn’t mean for it to turn out like this. Why did he follow them to the library anyway? He almost wished Seungho was guilty so he didn’t have to look like such an idiot—standing there as Ji Yeon scanned her lab partner for any bruises.

He took a quick glance at the both of them before walking out the door.

*you freaking idiot* Key whispered to himself.

Seungho looked up and a small triumphant smirk crossed his lips as he watched Key’s back out the door.

---

It had been a long day.

Ji Yeon dropped her school bag and groceries that she had bought from the nearby market, on the floor by the staircase. The expression on Key’s face remained etched in her mind as she went upstairs. His fiery character gripping Seungho’s shirt as if he wanted to kill him. She had never seen him that way before.

It then occurred to her: was he watching them the entire time? He couldn’t have been genuinely concerned, could he? Kim Ki Bum, was actually worried enough that he followed them to the library to watch over her? The thought made her tummy churn incomprehensively.

No, Ji Yeon concluded. He probably didn’t. She had more than enough experiences with him to gather that it was probably just a coincidence. She shook away those thoughts, and after taking a shower and changing into her pajamas, proceeded to her daily chores.

---

“Park Ji Yeon!”

Ji Yeon’s eyes cracked opened as she heard Mr. Goh’s voice shouting her name. She slowly lifted her head.

“If you’re not going to pay attention in class and doze off like that, why don’t you sleep outside?!”

*Can I…?* she thought longingly.

But she quickly sat up straight. “Sorry! I’ll pay attention!” Ji Yeon shook herself awake and clicked her pen, ready to jot down anything.

Key sighed, shaking his head.

“What time did you get back last night?” He asked, voice low.

“Pretty late,” Ji Yeon put a hand over to cover a yawn.

“Are you guys done?”

“No, we have to meet up again.”

Key drew another breath and exhaled. Unintentionally his eyes met with Seungho and they exchanged glances. The latter shrugged his shoulders and smirked. Key cocked his brow at him and scoffed, turning away. Why the hell hadn’t he noticed this kid before?

“Don’t go,” Key told her.

“But we have to finish…”

“I don’t trust him.”

“Key, listen, yesterday you almost beat the living day lights out of him just because he was getting his calculator. Now you’re telling me not to trust him?

“You know what?” Key said. “I thought about it. Calculator or not, he was still reaching way too close. If he really wanted his precious calculator it would have been much easier to just directly grab it rather than snaking around your—“

THUD!

Key winced as a thick textbook collided onto his head. Ji Yeon flinched.

“KIM KI BUM, PARK JI YEON, OUT!” Mr. Goh roared.

They didn’t need to be told twice. Key and Ji Yeon quickly gathered their things and left the classroom. Ji Yeon’s heart was pounding at top speed. She had never heard Mr. Goh’s angry voice directed that closely to her before. It was terrifying.

The door closed on them and they stood out in the hallway facing each other. Ji Yeon was still partly shell-shocked.

“Now what?” Key said cooly.

“I-I guess we just sit here. He’ll probably call us in, /in/ like ten minutes.” Ji Yeon leaned back against the wall and slid down so that she was sitting with her knees folded.

Key joined her.

They sat in silence for about two minutes before Key got up off the floor. “Let’s ditch.”

---

There were only a few places they were actually allowed to go to. Students weren’t allowed leaving school grounds during class and many parts of the school were blocked off to keep people from wandering aimlessly.

“Where are we going?!” Ji Yeon called out as Key lead her by the hand.

“I don’t know.”

“What?! –Then—“ Ji Yeon bit her lip. They would get into so much trouble if Mr. Goh didn’t find them when he opens the door to call them in. She had already got into detention twice and certainly did not fancy another. “Key, maybe we should go back. I don’t want to get detention again—and are we even allowed here?”

“No… and no,” he replied nonchalantly. “That’s what makes it fun.” He looked back at her and gave an encouraging smile.

Ji Yeon groaned. *Oh, god…*

---

They came to a stop at a big heavy-looking door.

“Where is this?” Ji Yeon whispered, keeping her voice low just in case.

“The back of the library,” Key replied not bothering to lower his voice. Ji Yeon turned all directions before looking up at Key with a serious expression and a finger to her lips.

Key chuckled. *Cute.*

“Don’t worry. Everyone’s either in class or wandering elsewhere; barely anyone comes here. “

With that, he pulled on the handle and somewhat dragged the heavy door open slowly. “It’s one of my favourite places,” He said. “Come in.” He tilted his head, holding the door open as Ji Yeon hesitantly stepped inside.

The sight was breathtaking.

The front of the library was more formal with the receptionist desk, tables for studying, couches for lounging, and rather ordinary-looking bookshelves surrounding.

But the back… it was something else. Rows and rows of mountain-high book shelves—or that’s what it seemed like—towering over her, with text that looked like they could have dated back 1000 years. The entire place was almost like an endless maze of ancient books.

Ji Yeon wandered in, mouth parted in awe. It was beautiful.

Taking that Key was nearby, Ji Yeon wandered deeper into the rows.

“Her Whisper is the Lucifer,” She read on the spine of one of the books. “Funny name.”

She proceeded further and further into the heart of the library. No wonder this was Key’s favourite place. It was beginning to become hers too. It seemed like the perfect place to come if she ever just wanted to get away from everything. 

She kept walking, sliding books in and out along the way, and getting totally immersed in the pages.

After a long time something made her realized she was losing track of time. She must have been there for an hour already and she barely noticed.

Ji Yeon looked around and immediately slid the book she had in her hand back onto the shelf.

“Key?” She called out faintly, peeking down the rows.

There was no answer.

*Where’d he go?*

“Key?” Ji Yeon called out a bit louder. “Where are you?”

Still no answer.

She glanced around, seeing nothing but towers of books.

“Key, where are you?” She repeated, in dire hope that he would just pop out of nowhere.

She thought he had been following her the entire time. Turns out he wasn’t.

“This isn’t funny,” Ji Yeon cried. “Come out.”

*Please…*

She gulped. *What if he left?*

Panicking, she began speed-walking down the rows of shelves glancing right and left. They were all empty.

“Key, are you there?”

*Did he really leave? How am I going to find my way out…*

She could practically hear the pounding of her heart against her chest.

“Hello?” Ji Yeon tried again.

A sharp feeling pierced her eyes as they became coated with a glossy fluid. *Are you seriously going to cry, Ji Yeon? This is the school’s library for God’s sake.*

She gathered up some strength and continued through the rows, scanning each and every section. But there were way too many.

“Kim Ki Bum!” She yelled.

All she got in reply was the echo of her voice.

*He’s gone…*

She walked slower, turning her head dispiritedly down the rows.

“…Key,” she murmured.

*He really did leave.*

Her eyes stung again.

“Key, you jerk,” she said bitterly. *I can't believe it. He just brings me here and leaves. What a--*

Suddenly something tugged her by the hand and flung her around.

Ji Yeon had a mini heart attack as she came into contact with a solid body.

“Hello,” Key whispered.

She immediately recognized the voice.

“Yah!” Ji Yeon said, pushing him away. “Where did you go?!”

"Just around..." A bashful smirk-smile played on his lips. He studied her expression. “Were you afraid?”

Ji Yeon blinked in disbelief and then stared at him. “Yeah right.”

“Were you scared that I was gone?” He tilted his head.

Ji Yeon glared at him.

His smirk turned into a pout. “I’m sorry.”

“I—hate you,” She uttered and punched his chest with her fist.

Key simply blinked at her and stepped forward to wrap his arms around her. 

Ji Yeon squirmed out of his embrace and pushed his shoulders away leaving her arms there to keep him at a distance. She continued to glare at him.

“Idiot.”

“I know,” Key whispered back, and he leaned in to her lips. 

"YAH." Ji Yeon pushed him back, heart pounding against her chest.

Key looked at her, eyes burning. He took Ji Yeon's hands off his shoulders and brought them down to her side, stepping forward. Ji Yeon looked back into his eyes, unable to help from pacing back as Key began moving towards her, closing the gap between them until she was flat against the shelf.

“—Key,” Ji Yeon managed to spurt out.

“I really can’t do this anymore,” he breathed. “Don’t you know my feelings?” And gripping the back shelf, he leaned in and pressed his lips against hers.


 

Hai guys~

Super long... I know...

Aahh Key... well here we see some Key development. and omg please dont kill me for the terribly cheesy scene... I'm actually not very good at writing these things U___U'

Anyway, this counts as Key's first ACTUAL kiss... since the first was an accident and the second was Key being a jerk :)

Ps. Thanks for the support! Comments are loved :)♥