A Shocking Encounter

My Charming Key

The hotel lobby in practically no time had become extremely chaotic. Bystanders, and even some of the hotel staff, had gotten their phones out and were snapping photos. Reporters, who had been hanging around the area since Minho’s last scandal, all of a sudden appeared and were eager to get their next scoop.

Amidst the flashing Ji Yeon broke away, her face turning red as crimson.

Minho swallowed as he stared at Ji Yeon’s startled expression.

His attention was diverted when a woman shoved a microphone to his face.

“Choi Minho, would you care to tell us who this girl is?” The lady asked.

It hit him when he realized the situation he had gotten Ji Yeon into. Without a word to the female reporter Minho grabbed Ji Yeon’s hand and drew her past the hoards of reporters and bystanders, making for the entrance. Even the hotel guards’ eyes followed them as they left the building.

“Choi Minho!” The reporters called out after him. “Are you currently dating?”

“Who is she? Who’s that girl you just kissed?”

Minho put an arm around Ji Yeon to cover her face from all the unwanted attention. When they had finally reached the car, Minho helped Ji Yeon into the car seat and joined her on the other side. In a moment Minho started the car and drove swiftly off the hotel property.

It had been five minutes since they had gotten into the car and the atmosphere was nothing if not awkward.

“I’m sorry,” Minho said finally after battling himself on what to say that would lessen the heavy cloud of tension between them.

There was no response and Minho glanced over to his right to see Ji Yeon’s reaction.

She had her head bowed in embarrassment.

 “It’s okay,” she said trying to sound bright but failing miserably. “It was an accident right?” She cracked an unconvincing smile.*It had to be, it was so random*

“No…” was Minho’s unmerciless reply.

Ji Yeon gulped and looked out the window. That’s when she realized her heart was racing, and this gave her the biggest shock. Was this because of him? Was she falling for him? Again? 

She peeked over at Minho.

Regardless of the reason, one thing was for sure. He was definitely making her see him in a different light after so long...

--

The hotel lobby had cleared up when Ji Yeon returned to work at near sunset. She walked through the many doors whilst on the phone with her best friend. 

“HE DID WHAT?!” Annie shouted on the other end of the phone.

Ji Yeon winced, holding the phone ten inches away from her ear.

“No way... I told you he has a massive crush on you!”

“Annie-“

“Did you feel anything? Was there any electricity?!”

“I don’t know, that’s the thing. I can’t tell if it’s him or the fact that we kissed in public and everyone was watching and taking pictures.

“Well you gotta find out.”

“Yeah… but how?”

“I don’t know, kiss him again?” Annie laughed menacingly on the other end.

“OH MY GOD ANNIE, you can’t expect me to—oh no! I gotta go, my boss is here. Talk to you later okay? Goodbye!” Ji Yeon quickly hung up the phone and tucked it into her apron pocket.

“You’re very late,” Ji Yeon’s boss called out as she strode over.

“I’m sorry!” Ji Yeon bowed.

Her bossed sighed and folded her arms. “I’ll let it go this time since you seemed to be in tight situation this morning. But make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

“Yes, ma’am Ji Yeon bowed a second time.

“Alright, go inside now.”

Ji Yeon drew a deep breath as she made her way to the kitchen.

“Order’s up!”  The cook called out. He saw Ji Yeon walking in fixing the collar of her uniform. “Oh, Ji Yeon, you’re here. Can you take this to Room 2208?”

“It was Ji Yeon? THIS Ji Yeon?” She heard a co-worker say.

“Sh, sh, she’s here!” The co-worker’s friend whispered back to her.

“Ugh, I can’t believe it! She’s so lucky!”

Ji Yeon took the tray of food the cook left on the counter.

“Don’t forget the coffee! Thanks!” The cook said.

“No problem,” Ji Yeon placed the coffee cup onto the tray and carried it out the door and to the elevator.

She could hardly think of anything rational when Minho was taking up almost every corner of her brain at the moment. She recalled their conversation in the car:

“It’s been five years now. Can’t you look at me?” Minho said. “You know I’m not like him. I won’t make you cry.”

She passed by a mirror hung up on the wall as she bounded down the hallway and saw her face red at the cheeks. She blinked at her blushing reflection and then kept on moving.

Room 2208, she repeated to herself as she passed some doors.

She took another deep breath and stopped at room 2208. *What if I do like him?*

She knocked on the door.

“Come in,” the voice said.

She balanced the tray against her waist and opened the door.

“Just set it on the table, please,” the man said as he twirled a lock of his brown hair. He was reclining on his bed in a bathrobe with a magazine opened up in front of him.

Ji Yeon stared at him. The man with brown hair stared back.

Ji Yeon’s eyes widened and before she knew it the tray had slipped out of her hand and crashed to the floor. The last thing the man saw was the flutter of Ji Yeon’s uniform as she zipped out of the room. *Why is he here? How is he here?!*

Key got up from the bed.

“Ji Yeon…”

He peeked down at his robe with a look of revulsion. *What the hell am I wearing…!*

He threw the thought aside and quickly fastened his white bathrobe before making out the door after her.