#50:Happy Birthday

At World's End

Once again, almost went a month without an update >< Well here you go! Drabble number 50 and it is in honor of my baby!!!

Caution: this drabble may make you hungry. Also there’s reference to some…ahem, naughty themes. But it’s not terribly explicit, we should be okay.

 

 

#50:Happy Birthday
Continuity:After drabble #48

 

It started when Yixing and Kyungsoo took a walk and found a bookstore. Of course at the time, they didn’t know what it was called, they thought it was a library. Kris was the one to explain to them that there were actual shops where one could buy books and keep them.

“You mean like, pay for it?” Kyungsoo asked. “How come?”

Kris shrugged. “It’s not for us to know.”

On their world books were mostly kept in libraries. If someone wanted to own a book, they could request that a copy be made for them and after a few days, that copy would be delivered—free of charge. Of course it was rare that anyone wanted to keep a book forever. most people would just borrow it from a library for however long they wanted to, and then they’d bring it back. Though Kyungsoo now realized that it was more practical for books to be kept in libraries—on their world even the best made house could have a leaky roof or a mouse scurrying about, and nobody really wanted to damage a book.

But when Yixing and Kyungsoo stumbled on the bookstore they didn’t know all this. The place was crumbling, as were most of the books. Some were okay, because their pages were made of some kind of weird paper that didn’t disintegrate as fast. It almost didn’t feel like paper at all.

Yixing and Kyungsoo were looking through these books and they found one that stood out.

“Pie…pie…tcha,” Yixing stuttered. “Pietcha.”

Kyungsoo eyed the title. “I’m pretty sure that’s not how you pronounce it.”

Yixing huffed and shoved the book at Kyungsoo. “You try it then.”

Kyungsoo snorted. “I’m smart enough not to even attempt it, let’s just go ask Kris.”

Perhaps if Kyungsoo had known what chaos was about to ensue, he would have left the book where it was.

“It’s a Pizza recipe book,” Kris explained.

“Pisha?” Yixing parroted.

“Pi-tzah,” Kris repeated.

“Nevermind,” Kyungsoo said quickly, “What is it?”

“It’s food,” Kris sighed, rolling his eyes.

“Well duh, I know that,” Kyungsoo scoffed. “But it doesn’t look very appetizing.”

Kris shook his head. “From what I’ve read it’s very good. People used to go mad for this stuff. Maybe we should try to make it someday, I’ve always wanted to try it.”

That would have been the end of it if Kyungsoo hadn’t taken note of the almost wistful look in Kris’ eyes and shoved the recipe book into his bag. He kind of forgot about it for a few years, but only because he knew they couldn’t make this ‘pizza’ with what little resources they had. After they had settled into their new home however, and they had a farm and a field of crops and a functioning kitchen, things changed. Kyungsoo was going through his belongings one day and stumbled across the book for the second time and, recalling the look in Kris eyes, had an idea. Kris’ birthday was coming up soon, and he’d said he wanted to try pizza, so maybe it would be nice if everyone pitched in to make it for him.

He brought it up to Suho, who seemed to like the idea well enough, but noted that they would need to keep Kris busy while everyone worked on the surprise. They only had a few days until Kris’ birthday, so they needed to think of something fast. Kyungsoo, however, decided to count himself out of that conversation, because he was busy letting everyone else in on the plan. He figured that was enough contribution to the planning on his part.

They weren’t entirely sure that it was Kris’ birthday. Several of them had managed to keep count of the days while they were separated and they all had the same numbers, but the problem was figuring out what date it was when they had crash landed. They had managed to find newspapers and identify certain dates, match up the numbers of days with the calendars by counting in convoluted ways…it made no sense to Kyungsoo but that was because he hadn’t actually figured it out himself, it was mostly Kai and Xiumin who had done that. To the best of their knowledge, Kris’ birthday matched up with the date of November 6th on this world (one of the reasons they had come to this planet was because it’s yearly calendar matched with their own), but they weren’t totally, 100% sure it was November 6th. In any case, it was probably close enough. So on the agreed upon day, ten boys gathered in the remodeled kitchen to fix up a surprise for their leader.

Kyungsoo was a fool, he should have known better than to try to make more than five of them do something all at once, especially when both Suho and Kris weren’t around to mediate.

“What are you doing here?” Kai squawked upon seeing Tao in the kitchen.

“Making pizza!” Tao exclaimed, “Where else would I be?”

“Distracting Kris!” Chen cried.

“Oh,” Tao sighed, “No, Suho is doing that.”

“Say what?!” Kyungsoo yelped.

“Just Suho?” Lu Han asked, side-eyeing Tao. “You don’t want to like, be a part of that or something?”

Tao looked confused for a second, and then a look of clarity passed briefly over his face before he took on a positively evil look.

“No,” He said smugly, “I get my turn with him later. Best for last and all that.”

Sehun gagged and covered his ears, Lu Han cackled and gave Tao a highfive, and nearly everyone else rolled their eyes. Yixing gave everyone a wide-eyed look. “Wait a second,” he gasped, “Is this another one of those ual things?”

Xiumin opened his mouth, but Baekhyun slapped his hand over his mouth. “Yes,” Lu Han said seriously, smirking at Yixing, “It is, and we’re so proud of you for getting it.”

Yixing looked absolutely horrified. “Ew,” he squeaked, shutting his eyes and shaking his head. “Oh, ew, I don’t even want to think about that!”

“So don’t!” Tao cried, “Stop thinking about my boyfriends!”

“YOU STARTED IT!” Yixing shrieked.

“WELL NOBODY TOLD YOU TO ACTUALLY THINK ABOUT IT!” Tao and Kyungsoo both yelled.

Kyungsoo glared at Tao. “We have a bigger problem here! Now we have to attempt to get along without mediation from either of our leaders!”

Chanyeol scoffed. “Oh please, we’re all adults here. I think we can manage.”

“Oh, right,” Kyungsoo said sarcastically, “We’re adults, but it’s only been five minutes and we’ve already made a few inappropriate remarks, scarred Yixing for life, and we haven’t even opened the recipe book yet!”

Xiumin at least looked a little uneasy, but everyone else just laughed.

“We’ll be fine,” Chanyeol cooed, patting Kyungsoo’s head. “We’ll get serious now, promise. Let’s get to work, okay?”

Kyungsoo bristled, but managed to keep his cool. Thus far he had been the best at cooking with the resources they had, so he had been placed (mostly) in charge. “Okay,” he said coolly, opening the book. “First we need to make the dough. I already have the ingredients for that. Then we need tomatoes for the sauce.”

Tao wrinkled his nose. “Ugh, tomatoes.”

Kyungsoo felt his eye twitch. “This isn’t for you,” he said tersely, “It’s for Kris, you don’t have to like it.” He turned back to the recipe book. “We need to make the dough first. We’ll need warm water, olive oil, salt, sugar, flour and yeast.”

There was silence.

“What the hell is yeast?” Baekhyun demanded.

“It’s the stuff that makes the dough rise,” Sehun sighed impatiently. “Honestly guys.”

“Okay but what about olive oil?” Baekhyun went on.

Kyungsoo smugly held up a bottle. “This is olive oil.”

They all jumped and stared at the bottle in awe—well, all except Kai.

“What is it?” Chanyeol asked.

“It’s the oil that’s leftover from crushed olives!” Kai exclaimed. “I found a factory that makes it—it’s amazing how self-sufficient these factories were you guys, I literally flipped a switch and all the machines . The olives had been growing by themselves for years, and then these little carts went out and shook them off the trees, and then they got put into this huge vat and crushed into a paste, then that paste was put in this spinny-thingy and boom! Olive oil!”

“When did you do this?” Chen asked incredulously.

“A few months ago,” Kai and Kyungsoo chorused.

“Kyungsoo needed it a while back, so I went looking for it,” Kai explained. “I had to go hundreds of miles before I found a completely automated factory.”

Kyungsoo nodded, then he caught sight of their sundial clock. “Enough chatter!” He cried. “We need to get a move on, who knows how long Suho will be able to keep Kris busy!”

Tao laughed and Lu Han smirked, but Xiumin quickly hushed them. “Quit trying to turn everything into a dirty joke,” he scolded.

“Obviously we don’t need to help that along,” Lu Han scoffed, “Seeing as we didn’t even say anything.”

“FOCUS, PEOPLE!” Kyungsoo cried as Yixing looked ready to break down. “Here’s the recipe for the dough, somebody work on it while others make the sauce.”

Xiumin, Yixing and Tao offered to make the dough. Kyungsoo then turned to the recipe for sauce. They needed a bunch of tomatoes and the olive oil, water, garlic, salt, and vinegar.

“We need to blend the tomatoes, water and olive oil together by chopping it up into little pieces. Chanyeol, get me the blender. And make sure it’s the one with the lid, this time!! We don’t have time to waste cleaning up another mess, like last time.”

“It was one freaking time,” Chanyeol mumbled as he went off.

Once the tomatoes had been blended, Kyungsoo put them on the “stove” to boil. The stove in the palace’s kitchen didn’t actually work, so they had to make do with a grill over a fire pit. Kyungsoo left Chen and Sehun in charge of keeping an eye on the sauce while he went to check on the dough.

“It’s slimy,” Tao muttered when Kyungsoo asked how it was going.

“It’s fun!” Yixing gushed. “I like making dough!”

Chanyeol came rushing over. “Let me try!” He begged.

“Making dough isn’t fun,” Kyungsoo countered as Tao broke off a piece of his and handed it to Chanyeol. “The fun part is kneading it, and that’s what…OYE! PARK CHANYEOL!!”

Chanyeol choked and spit out the dough he’d eagerly bitten off. “Blech, eeew,” he groused, shoving the bit of dough that was left back at Tao.

Tao eyed it like it was going to bite him. “Ick, I can see your saliva on it you animal!” Off to the side, Kai and Sehun were doubled over, laughing hysterically.

“Why is it only ever my whole name that gets used?” Chanyeol whined as he wiped off his tongue. “Eurgh, it tastes awful.”

Kyungsoo smacked Chanyeol on the shoulder a few times. “You’re not supposed to eat it raw!” He cried. “Ugh, go back over with the others.”

Chanyeol went slinking off, gluing himself to Baekhyun’s side. Kyungsoo could hear the barely restrained laughter in Baekhyun’s voice as he tried to comfort Chanyeol.

“Is it safe to use this?” Tao asked scathingly, holding out the piece of dough Chanyeol had bitten from. “It might be contaminated, I don’t want to make my boyfriend sick.”

Kyungsoo snatched the dough away. “Don’t be a snob,” he scolded, “I’m sure Kris will never tell the difference, especially after it’s been cooked.” Then he turned to Chen—the only one left watching the sauce. “How’s it coming?”

“I think it’s done,” Chen answered, lifting the pot off the fire and carrying it back to the table with the rest of the sauce fixings. Kyungsoo added a few spices, mixed them in thoroughly, and took a tiny taste.

“Seems fine to me,” he said brightly. Chen pouted for a taste too, and Kyungsoo gave him a tiny one.

“I’m hungry,” Sehun whined, watching the exchange. “Can we break for lunch?”

“You can if you want to,” Kyungsoo shrugged. “But I’m not feeding you. It’s time to put the dough, sauce and cheese together.”

“Are you sure the cheese we made yesterday will be alright?” Xiumin asked anxiously.

“Of course,” Kyungsoo assured, “I had this in mind when we made it, go and get it for me.”

Kyungsoo was the one who flattened out the dough and spread the sauce over it, the other boys each took turns slicing the block of cheese into little pieces. Kyungsoo was about to scatter the cheese over the sauce when Yixing suddenly stopped him.

“What are we going to put on top of it?” He asked.

Kyungsoo gave him a confused look. “What do you mean? That’s what the cheese is for.”

“But in the book, it says we can put a whole bunch of things on it,” Yixing reminded him. “We can put anything else on the pizza!”

“We can?” Kai asked excitedly. “Oh, let’s put mushrooms on it!”

“Ew, no!” Baekhyun cried, “Mushrooms are icky, put some peppers on it!”

“Onions, too!” Chanyeol cried, “Peppers and onions!”

“And chicken!” Sehun added.

“Whoa, slow down!” Kyungsoo cried. “We can’t put everything on it, let’s just have an array of toppings laid out for Kris when he comes back—”

“Booooring!” Chen whined. “It needs an extra kick!”

“Well, how would we choose what to add?!” Kyungsoo demanded. “Everyone has a different idea!”

“Oh, how about we make a bunch of little pizzas!” Yixing said, bouncing up and down excitedly.

“Yeah, just one little problem with that, Xing-xing,” Kyungsoo said sarcastically, “We already have one big pizza!”

“Oh, oops,” Yixing whispered. “Well, maybe it can still work?”

“Not likely,” Chanyeol said brightly. “Let’s do rock, paper, scissors!”

“No,” Tao whined petulantly. “That won’t work, you should just let me pick, I know what Kris likes.”

“That’s not fair!” Chen cried. “You may be Kris’ boyfriend but we all grew up with him too, we know what he likes to eat too!”

“And besides,” Sehun threw in, “This is supposed to be a present from all of us!”

“Listen!” Kyungsoo yelled, “We’re supposed to be working together to get this done before Kris comes back, so we need to make a decision now!”

Just then, Suho poked his head in. “Um, guys, is the surprise almost ready?”

“NO!” Ten boys screamed back.

“Get back out there and distract your man!” Chanyeol cried, rushing over and making shooing motions at Suho.

“I’m running out of ideas!” Suho yelled back. “He’s wondering where you all are!”

“If he’s thinking about us when he’s with you, on his birthday, then obviously you’re not doing your job right!” Lu Han cried, flapping his hands at Suho.

“What are you talking about?” Suho demanded crossly.

“Oh for heaven’s sake,” Lu Han hissed, “Go distract him with birthday , you idiot!”

Suho gaped and his face flamed. “What the—” He sputtered.

“Don’t you dare!” Tao snarled, “We have a deal!”

“I know!” Suho screeched, “I’ll…figure something out!” And then he stomped off, slamming the kitchen door behind him.

Before anyone could say anything, Kyungsoo smacked his hands down on the table. “As we were,” he said, “We need to make this darn thing. Now are you all going to insist on toppings?”

“Yes!” Nine voices called back.

“Fine,” Kyungsoo said, “Somebody get me a knife.”

Kyungsoo drew lines in the sauce, dividing the pizza into ten triangular pieces. “Each one of you gets a spot to put a topping on,” He said calmly, “No overlapping. You have ten minutes.”

They all scrambled to get their choice of topping and prepare it.

“Why don’t we just throw all the toppings on all at once?” Chanyeol asked.

“Does that honestly sound appetizing to you?” Kyungsoo asked in exasperation.

“Yes!” Chanyeol said happily.

“Well next time, you can do that,” Kyungsoo said, more patiently than he actually felt. “But for now, let’s just keep it simple, okay?” He could feel a headache building at the back of his mind. He couldn’t wait until this was done with.

 

Finally, after a day of arguments and headaches, the pizza was done cooking. Kyungsoo carefully took it out of their makeshift oven and laid it on the table while the others crowded in behind him.

“It’s beautiful!” Tao said. “Kris is going to love it!”

“I personally think it’s ugly,” Baekhyun sniffed, “But maybe that’s just the mushrooms.”

“Oye!’ Kai yelped.

“Enough!’ Kyungsoo said sternly. “This is for Kris, it doesn’t matter what we think of it, what matters is what he thinks of it, so let’s ask him!”

Chen raced to the kitchen door and flung it open, probably intending to run out and find Kris and Suho, and instead he leapt back with a yelp upon finding the two of them standing in the doorway. Suho had his hands over Kris’ eyes.

“I couldn’t hold him off any longer,” Suho explained tersely. “Please tell me you guys are done.”

“Please,” Kris echoed, “I’m dying of curiosity here.”

Chen recovered and pulled Suho and Kris into the room. “We made you a present for your birthday!” He cried.

“Oh, is that what that smell is?” Kris laughed, reaching up to touch Suho’s hands. “Can I see it, or do I have to guess what it is?”

“You’ll never guess,” Tao said smugly. “I guess we should just show it to you.”

Suho positioned Kris in front of the table and uncovered his eyes. Kris looked momentarily shocked and then he smiled. “Oh, wow!” he cried, “You guys made this?”

“Do you know what it is?” Kyungsoo asked anxiously.

“It’s pizza, right?” Kris guessed.

“Yes!” Kai and Sehun crowed. “You got it!”

“Wow,” Kris laughed again, “This is so cool, you guys!”

“We all put different toppings on it!” Chanyeol explained, elbowing Kyungsoo aside as he pointed at the pizza. “That one’s mine, it’s the best!”

“Mine’s the best,” Tao countered.

“Whoa now, I’m sure they’re all great,” Kris assured, “So I’ll try them all. But this is too much for just me, you’ll all help me eat it, right?”

“Only after you try each slice!” Yixing cried, “Here’s a fork and a knife, now get tasting!”

Kris wound up trying Tao’s piece first, and everyone waited on baited breath for his opinion.

“Is it okay?” Kyungsoo asked, wringing his hands, “Does the sauce taste okay? What about the crust?”

Kris held up his hand, he was still chewing, “Holy cow, kids, I can barely concentrate with all of you watching me eat.” But they knew he was teasing. “It’s amazing, really, I love it.” He turned to Tao and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “You did a great job, Taozi, it’s perfect.”

Tao melted and hugged Kris tightly around the waist. “Good,”  he whispered. “I knew you would like it.”

“Try mine next!” Chanyeol begged. “Please, Kris!”

Kris eventually had a bite of all ten slices and he said that each one of them was excellent. After trying each slice he’d hug the person who picked the toppings and thank them—it was just like him, he wanted each of them to know how grateful he was.

“Did you all practice this a head of time?” He asked when he’d tried all the different slices.

“No,” Kyungsoo insisted, “It was our first time making pizza at all!”

“I would have never guessed,” Kris assured. “It’s delicious, really, you should all try it, go on.”

So everyone else had a bite and they all agreed, it was pretty freaking good.

“Kyungsoo did the most work,” Xiumin told Kris. “It was his idea.”

Kris gave Kyungsoo an extra hug. “Did they give you a headache?” He teased.

“Only a little,” Kyungsoo laughed, and his head really didn’t hurt so much anymore.

Yixing turned to Suho curiously. “Suho, what did you and Kris actually do all day?”

Lu Han almost choked on his bite of pizza and everyone else gave Yixing an incredulous look, wondering how he could ask something like that, but Kris and Suho didn’t seem perturbed.

“We went for a hike, we went down to the stables, we played with some of the kittens, we had a really fun day,” Kris gushed.

“Did you get Kris a birthday gift?” Sehun blurted. Lu Han stood on his foot.

“Yes, actually,” Suho said calmly. “But it’s a secret.”

Tao glared at them. “Nothing I should be jealous of, right Kris?”

Kris shrugged. “He hasn’t told me what it is yet, said he would wait for the right time.”

They all turned to look back at Suho and noticed that he was blushing faintly.

“What did you do?” Tao asked.

“Nothing!” Suho cried. “I mean, none of your business! Well not you Tao, but—”

“Oh, god!” Yixing cried, covering his ears, “I don’t want to hear it, I don’t freaking want to know!”

Nobody said anything more on the matter after that, and when Suho, Tao and Kris all disappeared shortly thereafter they all did their best to ignore Lu Han's immature giggles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Happy (belated) Birthday to my baby, my bias, my lovely Kris <3  The idea for this is from rainiedayze146, who mentioned the pizza thing in a comment and I’ve been dying to do something with it for a while now!

HOPEFULLY we won't go another month without an update, because now I actually have a very good idea about what i want to do next and it is good, oh my god it is soooooo good, I am so excited to write this, you have no idea, and I finished a bunch of school work this week so things are looking good! 

 

COMMENT.

COMMENT.

COMMENT.