#20-21

At World's End

 

#20:Lost Wings
Continuity: Chapter 4
Kris-centric

Kris shivered and clutched his blanket around his shoulders. The Healers said he was in shock, he wasn’t really cold, but the knowledge didn’t make him stop shivering. He was lying on his side, keeping his weight off his injured wing. He’d broken it while practicing flying, and even though the bones were already starting to heal he’d need a few weeks to make sure the tissue and nerves in his wing would be alright. Unfortunately that meant no flying.

Kris whimpered, half from pain and half from sheer misery. He pulled his blanket over his head and allowed himself to cry again.

He felt a tap on his shoulder and groaned.

“You have a visitor,” one of the Healers told him.

Kris didn’t move or respond. After a moment he felt his bed dip and a hand on his shoulder.

“Krissy?”

There was only one person in the world who called him that. Kris pushed his blanket back and saw Sehun’s face inches from his own. But…Sehun’s hands were on the bed in front of him. Who’s hand was on his shoulder…?

Kris looked around and realized that all of his brothers were gathered around his bed. He quickly sat up and wiped his eyes.

“What are you all doing here?” He asked, and then cleared his throat when he realized how hoarse he sounded. “You should be in bed, it’s late.”

Lu Han looked like he wanted to laugh. “That’s just like you, always worried about everybody else even when you’re clearly hurting.”

“We wanted to see you of course,” Chen piped up from the foot of the bed.

Kris managed to smile through the pain. “Thanks, but I’m—”

“If you say you’re fine I will go to your room and tear up all your homework,” Xiumin growled.

Kris shook his head, then stopped as the room started to spin. “Really, it’s okay you should go to bed…”

“We don’t want to,” Tao protested. “We’re going to stay with you tonight. Whether you like it or not.”

Kris glared at Suho. “Help me,” he hissed.

Suho nodded. “Okay, tell me what I should do, but don’t tell me to make them leave.”

Kris floundered for a moment. He wasn’t used to everyone blatantly defying his wishes like this. They all knew he didn’t like the younger kids visiting him while he was in pain, they didn’t need to see it.

“Kris,” Kyungsoo called softly, “Please, we want to stay with you.”

“You stay with us when we’re sick, or scared,” Kai added, “It’s our turn to do that for you now.”

As much as Kris wanted to be strong in front of his kids and show them what a good, reliable leader and big brother he was, he found that he just couldn’t anymore and for a brief second he hated himself for it. He felt the tears come again and he didn’t bother to hide them, he knew there was no point.

“But that’s not your job,” Kris choked out. “You’re not supposed to worry about me.”

Suho stepped forward and sat down next to Kris, placing his hand on Kris’ cheek. “It’s okay,” he said gently, brushing the tears away with his thumb. “You will always be our big brother and we will always be proud of you and admire you for everything you do, but don’t shut us out when we try to help.”

“I’m not…I wasn’t trying to…” Kris sobbed. Suho pulled him closer and let him cry into his shoulder.

“We know,” he crooned. “It’s hard for you to accept help. Maybe you can start by just telling us how you really feel right now?”

Kris took a shaky breath. “My wing is freaking killing me and my head is spinning and I feel nauseous, but more than anything…I just want to fly again.”

Chanyeol sat down on his other side, careful not to jostle his injured wing, and rested his hand on Kris’ back. “You will fly again soon. But until then let us take care of you, okay?”

Kris sat up and looked around at his brothers. “You guys are the best,” he said, “And I love you so much.”

Tao crawled up on the bed and gave Kris a hug. “We love you too.”

Kris spent two weeks in the Healers room recuperating. After day three they had to move him to a bigger bed because every night eleven other boys would show up in their pajamas and fall asleep on his bed, whether there was enough room or not.

 

#21:Smile for Me
Continuity: Chapter 2
Kai, Suho-centric

It started after the renaming ceremony, when the two of them became Kai and Suho. Suho had told Kai that with his new name, he’d need a new attitude. That hadn’t gone over with Kai well, and he resisted Suho’s attempts to teach and civilize him every step of the way.

Minseok had once asked Suho why he hadn’t given up on Kai, but to be honest the idea had never even occurred to Suho to do such a thing. Firstly, giving up was not in his vocabulary—never had been, never would be. Secondly, he loved Kai too much to give up on him. He may have been a brat, he may have bitten and kicked Suho countless times, screamed at him and run from him, but Suho loved him.

The first time Suho told Kai that he loved him, he’d been tucking Kai into bed.

“Goodnight, I love you,” Suho told him. Kai had smacked him with his pillow.

“Don’t lie to me, you don’t love me.” Kai growled.

Suho had been shocked for a half second (more from the whack with the pillow than anything) before he grinned. “I’m not lying, I love you.”

“Do not!” Kai had insisted.

“Do so,” Suho countered, and he pulled Kai into his lap and hugged him tightly.

Kai shrieked. “Let go! Get off me!”

Suho only hugged him tighter. “Can’t do that, I love you too much.”

“You’re such a weirdo,” Kai yelled into his ear. Still Suho didn’t let go.

Eventually Kai stopped squirming and resorted to glaring. “Why do you think you love me? I’m rotten.”

Suho thought about it for a minute. “You aren’t rotten,” he said slowly. “You’re badly behaved, but your behavior doesn’t have to mean that you’re bad or that I can’t love you.”

“You have to be good for people to love you,” Kai whispered.

Suho sighed and ruffled Kai’s hair. “You’re a good person Kai, I know you are. You just think you aren’t because you grew up thinking something about you was bad, and it’s not true.”

Kai had nothing to say to that. Suho wasn’t holding onto him all that tightly anymore, but Kai hadn’t tried to get away.

“What’s good about me?” Kai asked.

Suho pulled back a bit so he could look at Kai as he ticked off all the things he could think of. “You’re funny, you have nice handwriting, you never raise your voice to Sehun even when he bothers you, you have a pretty smile and a bright mind…”

Suho stopped because Kai had lifted his hands to his face. “You think my smile is pretty?” He asked.

“Yes,” Suho affirmed. “I don’t get to see it often, but it is absolutely dazzling. It changes your whole face.”

“How so?” Kai demanded.

Suho thought for a moment. “It makes your face light up.”

Kai bit his lip and then the corner of his mouth twitched up. “Really?”

Suho grinned. “I wouldn’t lie to you ever.”

Kai looked up shyly, but he was smiling. Suho tapped his nose and grinned playfully.

“There’s my smiley boy,” He whispered, then his kissed Kai’s forehead. “I love you baby.”

As he was walking out of the room, Kai called to him. “I really like you hyung.”

It made Suho happier than he’d ever imagined it would.

 

 

I would have liked to do something more for drabble #20, but I thought that what I had was pretty special. Sadly I just couldn't make it longer without rambling, so now I give you two shorter drabbles at once. Two that I couldn't extend so I threw them together ^^ Hope you enjooooy! Tao's drabble should be next.