The Dance

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

I took my place in the centre of the dance floor.

I felt sick.

I clenched my fists; I was never nervous about dancing. But then again I had only ever danced in front of her girls. My last school had been a girls school and they hadn’t been that interested in my dancing to begin with. Even so, a couple of good looking guys want to watch me dance and I fall to pieces?

Get a grip Minjae.

JR fiddled with the stereo. A song began to play.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarGwGWlgHI

 

 It was a bit slow to dance too and I looked at him in surprise.

 He looked back at me steadily.

I closed my eyes.

Damn it why was I so nervous.

Okay breathe Minjae. If you don't breathe you will faint.

Omo. Imagine if I fainted in the dance studio.

I inwardly cringed.

The horror!

I shook my head and flexed my hands.

Go.

I began to dance.

 

The first couple of moves were shaky. But then I began to feel the rhythm, the way the beat dipped and then rose like the sun. I kept my eyes closed and just let go. The song truly was beautiful and it made me feel completely happy. I moved all across the space sweeping across the floor, sliding on my knees. Hands up, to the side, body moving to the music like it was my dance partner.

Maybe I would have kept dancing all night, but good things have to end sometime right. The song came to a finish and my breathing  slowed.

I opened my eyes.

“Damn girl.” HyeSu whispered. “When you said you could dance...”

The boys were equally shocked. I paced up and down with embarrassment.

Then Ren began to clap. His eyes were shining and he came right up to me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

“That was amazing Minjae.” He said in a low voice. I looked into his twinkling his eyes.
“Kamsahamnida Ren oppa.” I replied and I meant it. His praise meant so much.

Everyone else came up and surrounded me. Baekho was telling Ren that he should be ashamed that I could dance better than him.

“I don’t mind if Minjae dances better than me.” He said, still smiling. Without thinking, I took his hand and squeezed it, expressing my thanks. Ren immediately turned his head, but not before I caught the pink blush staining his cheeks.

HyeSu gave me a hug.

“You have to enter the talent competition!” She said drawing back.

“Okay I will.” I said. HyeSu jumped up and down delightedly. “But on one condition.”

“Okay...” Said HyeSu puzzled.

“If you enter it too.”

She was shaking her head before I’d even finished.

“No Minjae not me. This talent competitions not for me. I don’t have a talent.”

“Oh come on HyeSu, you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t have a talent.”

“She does have a talent.” Said Minhyun smiling. “She’s in my music class. She sings.”

I turned back to HyeSu who was avoiding my eyes.

“Is that so Miss-I-have-no-talent.” I said raising an eyebrow.

“Well uh, I won’t be good enough for the talent show. Trust me Minjae-”

“Well looks like we both won’t be entering the competition then.” I interrupted with a big sigh. I turned away but kept looking at her out of the corner of my eye. We had only met yesterday and I already knew her so well. She seemed to be struggling with herself; it was only a matter of time before...

“Fine!” HyeSu burst out. “I’ll take part in the show.”

“Yay!” I grabbed HyeSu in a hug and we jumped up and down together.

“I reckon we have competition JR.” Baekho said jokingly.

Me and HyeSu drew away and I looked over at JR.

He was leaning against the wall, hands in pockets with a smile on his face as usual. He was biting his bottom lip a little and I had to look down at my hands to control myself.

“Hey Minjae.” He called.

I looked up. For a moment he said nothing, just looked at me with a thousand expressions I couldn’t read passing over his face. Finally he said,

“It was beautiful.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all went back to the boys room afterwards. Baekho and Aron resumed their game of catch as soon as their hit the seat of the sofa.

“Do you guys actually play this all the time?”I said with a roll of my eyes.

The both nodded happily.

“I’m hungry JR hyung!” Said Ren rubbing his stomach.

“Yah I just stepped into the room and already I'm being sent to the kitchen!” Sighed JR, playfully cuffing Ren round the head.

“Minjae’s a good cook too you know.” Said HyeSu casually. I looked at her sharply and saw the same mischievous glint in her eyes that she'd had when she was trying o get me to dance earlier.

“Well maybe you could help me in the kitchen Minjae.” Said JR.

“Please do,” Baekho begged, “JR’s cooking is getting repetitive.”

“Wasn’t it you that nearly killed your room mates with your rice Baekho.” Said HyeSu.

We all laughed.

“How do you know about that!” Baekho gasped. He turned to Minhyun. “Minhyun how many people did you tell!” He hissed.

Minhyun shrugged, his slanted eyes sly and playful.

“Don’t blame me Baekho!” He said. “Blame Optimus Prime.”

“Who’s that?” I asked Minhyun.

Baekho put his head into his hands. "Here we go," he mumbled.

Minhyun covered his mouth with his hands.

“I’m Optimus Prime.” He said in a low husky voice like a robot.

HyeSu and I looked each other and burst out laughing. I glanced quickly at Minhyun to check we weren’t hurting his feelings, but he was delighted with our reaction.

“Why does everyone find that funny except from me.” Said Baekho. We all knew he was struggling not to laugh.

“Right.” JR clapped his hands. “Are you coming to help then Minjae?”

“I’m not that hungry.” Ren said quickly. “It can wait. Come sit down Minjae.”

“I can’t wait!” Said Aron, “I feel like I haven’t eaten in days.”

“Shush Aron, you’re always hungry.” Ren held his hand out to me. “Come sit Minjae.”

"She'll only be a minute Ren," JR said. He held out his hand too.

I looked at Ren.

I looked at JR.

.