The Friend

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

I don’t know which one of us was more shocked.

As the door slammed shut, Su-Ji’s friends moved to comfort her. Her cheeks were bright red from the slaps.

“I’ll get you both for this.” She hissed at me.

“Doesn’t look like you’ll be needing blusher for a while.” I said, but inside I was feeling uneasy. Su-Ji wasn’t going to let this go and on top of that, I was worried about HyeSu.

What was so secret about her medical records?

I left the dance studio and ran straight to our room. As I had expected she wasn’t there.

I dithered outside the door, wondering where on earth she could be.

A few doors down, JR stepped out of his room.

“Oh hey Minjae, what’s up?” He said.

“I’m looking for HyeSu. I don’t suppose you’ve seen her?”

He shook his head “I’ve only just come out the room.” He gestured to his door. “Want me to help you look?”

“I don’t think she’ll exactly be happy to see you.” I sighed

“It’s still worth a try.” He said. “Meet back here in 15 minutes?”

“Okay,” I said, “Thanks.”

I checked the canteen, the garden, the roof top, the school gates, I even knocked on a few of her friend’s doors, but she was nowhere to be seen.

JR was waiting outside of my door when I arrived.

“Any sign of her?”

I shook my head helplessly.

“What happened to make her disappear?” He asked.

“Oh a stupid fight with this girl.” I sighed. “Thanks for helping anyway.”

He shook his head, a warm smile lighting up his face.

“Don’t worry. Well I have class now, if I see her I’ll tell her you’re looking out for her.”

With a small wave, he walked off down the corridor.

I went in to the room and sat on the bed, the pillow she slept on. Possibilities of what could be on her medical records spun round in my head.

The door opened, revealing Baekho and HyeSu.

Baekho led her in to the room. I could see from HyeSu’s face that she was furious.

“What business is it of yours if I want to leave the school or not? Since when did I need to seek your permission?” She snarled at him.

Baekho shrugged. “You’re my friend and I could see you were upset. I could hardly just let you go.”

“Yes you could have!”

“HyeSu where were you planning to go to? It’s the middle of the country side and busses don’t run on Sunday’s.” I reasoned.

She shook her head.

“I was just going to go for a walk. Just anywhere away from here.”

“Let me come with you.” I said standing up.

“And me. You’re not getting rid of us that easy.” Baekho joined.

HyeSu looked at us, her face softening.

“I love you guys.” She whispered.

“And we love you too.” I replied smiling. I clasped my arms around her in a big hug, and then Baekho joined in until we were one big hugging heap. When we broke apart, HyeSu was wiping her eyes. I raised an eyebrow enquiringly Tell me? But she shook her head slightly. Later.

“All these emotions have made me hungry.” Baekho said.

“You’re always hungry.” HyeSu and I chorused.

“I’m a growing boy!” Baekho grinned. “I need to feed all my muscles.”

I pretended to look around.

“Muscles? I don’t see any?”

“Me either.” HyeSu grinned, the sly gleam back in her eyes. Baekho noticed it too for he said,

“I think I like it better when you’re angry, you don’t cuss me as much.” He pouted, but I could see in his eyes he was happy that she was okay.

“You’re just too easy to cuss Baekho.” HyeSu chided.  She lay back on her bed and closed her eyes. “It’s no fun for me anymore.”

“Oh well I’m sorry you’re running out of things to say.”

HyeSu opened an eye.

“I suppose I could always start on your hair.” She mused.

“My hair?” Baekho said aghast, “What about it? There’s nothing wrong with it.”

I could see he was restraining himself from touching it.

HyeSu waited.

Right on cue, she ran her hand from her hair and the exact same time as Baekho, mimicking him perfectly.

“Anybody would think you were in a hair advert.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Hey!” Baekho latched on to the idea. “That’s not a bad idea.”

He raised his eyebrows, and bit his lip slowly, running a hand through his hair and stretching back so his arm muscles bulged slightly.

“How do I look?” He winked, dark eyes smouldering.

“Like a idiot.” HyeSu laughed, throwing a pillow at him.

“You’re just jealous ‘cause you can’t do it like I can” Baekho said, throwing it back at her.

HyeSu got off the bed slowly, musing up her hair until it all fell in her face in dark waves. She twirled a strand of it over one finger and advanced slowly upon Baekho. She nibbled the bottom of her lip and went right into Baekho’s face until they were inches apart. He was torn between admiration and alarm.

I tried not to laugh.

“Who says I can’t do it like you can?” She breathed.

“High five me sister!” I cried. “That was some hot hair advert.”

She laughed and slapped my hand.

“I have to hand it to you.” Baekho said shaking his head. “You’d certainly sell me the product.”

HyeSu stuck her tongue out at him.

“Didn’t you say you were hungry Baekho?” I asked suddenly.

HyeSu looked at me and winked, realising what I was going to do.

“Yes...” Said Baekho, catching the wink between me and HyeSu. He was instantly suspicious. “Why..?”

“The funny thing is.” Said HyeSu. “Is that suddenly I have become so hungry I feel faint.”

“Well would you look at that.” I pretended to gasp. “The same thing has happened to me.” I collapsed back on my bed.

“I’m so hungry I can’t even move.” HyeSu whined.

“Who will bring us food in this state?” I said desperately.

Together HyeSu and I looked at Baekho.

“Uhm... I just remembered I have uh Spanish class.” He said quickly.

“Spanish class?” HyeSu raised an eyebrow.

“Okay fine, I can’t lie quickly, give me a break.” Baekho sighed.

“Please Baekho.” I pouted, getting up and hugging his arm.

“We’ll love you forever!” HyeSu said, hugging his other arm.

We held on, squeezing tight until he said.

“Fine! What do you both want?”

“Chocolate is a girl’s best friend.” I sang happily.

“I could really do with some popcorn.” Said HyeSu.

“Aish, what did I do to deserve you too.” He sighed, smiling.

“I know right!” I said.

“You must have been really good in your past life to get friends as great as us.” Said HyeSu. She pushed him out the door.

“Quickly Baekho, before the shop closes!”

“Oh and some sweets would be nice!” I called before shutting the door.

A second later there was a knock.

“Oh what now Baekho!” Said HyeSu opening the door. “Oh...”

The Headmaster stood out our door. It was the first time I had ever seen him. Normally he stayed in his office. He was a terrifying sight, at least over 6 ft 3 inches tall and right now he didn’t look too happy.

Standing beside him was none other than Su-Ji, curled into a satisfied grin.

“That’s them, Sir.” She said, her voice dripped with relish as she pointed to us. “They’re the ones who attacked me.”

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorry if there are any typos! This is my last update for the Easter holidays -Sob sob. I hope you enjoy it and I will try to keep updating regularly :) Take care -Wave <3