The Advice

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

That night, when Ren sat on my bed, I asked HyeSu to stay in the room.

“I need to ask you something.”

Ren gripped my hand.

There was silence. I looked at Ren, wondering when he was going to speak.

“Oh! You want me to tell her...” He took a deep breath and told HyeSu his plan.

Her reaction was priceless.

“Okay I’m waiting for the punch line to this amazingly bad joke.”

I looked down at my hands.

“You can’t be serious, Minjae. You really can’t be serious.

“It was my idea,” Ren said bravely.

“Well then what the hell Ren? Just, what the hell?!” HyeSu’s voice rose as she grew more incredulous “Have you both lost your freaking minds?”

“It’s the only way! Ren cried.

“The only way?! You weird fool! This isn’t even a way! This is asking for trouble on a whole new level.”

“Do you have any suggestions?” Ren said icily.

“No!” HyeSu said. “And neither do you! Your suggestion isn’t sensible enough to be a suggestion. Please don’t tell me your honestly thinking about this Minjae.”

“I thought that maybe if I became his friend at first and Ren and I kept our relationship quiet, then things would be okay...”

“But then what happens when he starts wanting to be more then friends? Or when he finds out, and he will find out, that you’ve been seeing Ren. This would be cheating” She said, echoing my words.

“If we don’t do something he’s going to leave on Thursday.” Ren sighed. “Baekho told me.”

HyeSu paused for a moment, biting her lip.

“I know he’s your best friend and everything.” She said to Ren. “I understand that. But maybe it’d be best if he maybe...you know ... left?”

Ren shook his head.

“You don’t understand.” He turned to me. “If JR leaves, I have to leave too. The whole of Nu’est will have to leave. We’re a group and JR’s our leader. The Headmaster said that once we leave school, there’s an entertainment label that wants to sign us.”

“But that’s good news? I don’t understand...”

“The condition was that all the original members have to graduate from this school. Up until the end of the 3rd year, we’re free to leave the group at any time because we can be replaced. But after the 3rd year, it becomes too late to find someone else and train them to fit in with our group. So If JR leaves now, he’ll forfeit the entire groups success.”

“But then he can’t leave!” Said HyeSu indignantly. “That’s un fair to the whole group.”

“What I’m doing to him is wrong in his eyes. Being with Minjae.”

“But that’s got nothing to do with Baekho or Minhyun or Aron!” I said.

“I know.” Said Ren sadly. “But we’d be working together for quite a long time when we get signed. He has to stay un till after the talent show. That’s when he won’t be able to leave the group anymore because we’ll be at the end of our 3rd year here. It would be a breach of the contract then. If he loves Minjae as much as he says he does, then he’ll leave on Thursday.”

“Well Minjae can’t go out with both of you.” Said HyeSu bluntly. “I’m in disbelief that you’d even suggested it. Wasn’t it you who disappeared for days when JR kissed her.”

“She wouldn’t be kissing him.”

“JR doesn’t seem the type of person to ask for a kiss.” Said HyeSu drily.

“What do you think we should do HyeSu.” I said desperately.

She let out a great gust of breath.

“I think maybe it would be best if you did keep your relationship on the quiet BUT, and this is a big but, you treat JR the same as everyone else. Don’t pretend to go out with him. Just be friendly with him like you are to Baekho. The talent show’s in two months. Just hold out until then.”