Broken Promises

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

I woke up to the sound of beeps. Thinking it was my alarm clock, I tried to reach over and shut it off. My arm was too heavy to move. My eyes felt like there were steel weights keeping them closed.

With a huge effort I managed to open them and squinting, I turned and looked around.

“She’s awake.” I heard a familiar whisper.

“HyeSu.” I smiled.

“I’m here Minnie.” She came into my line of vision and bent down, holding my hands. I saw she was trying not to cry.

“Don’t cry silly.” I said softly. “You did it, you sorted me out. I swear you could be a nurse.”

HyeSu closed her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” She murmured.

“What for?” I gave a slight laugh. “I didn’t even feel any of the pain anyway...”

“I couldn’t do it.”  She interrupted. “I couldn’t do it to you.”

“What?” I frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m sorry,” She repeated.

I became aware of the steady being nose and the pain in my hand. Lifting it up, I saw there was a needle inserted into it, with a tube leading to a machine.

Panic mounting, I started looking around. I was in a narrow metal bed with crisp sheets. Looking out through the open door, I saw it led into a corridor.

“No...” I gasped, my breathing hitched.

I was in hospital.

Memories threatened to overwhelm me.

“Don’t let them take me.” My Dad said as they wheeled him into surgery. “I’m begging you.” My Mother turned away, a tissue pressed to as she chocked on her tears.

I had to get out of here.

I struggled to sit up, moving the covers away from my legs.

“What are you doing?” HyeSu gasped.

“Need to get out of here.”  I panted. The machine beeped frantically as my heart rate accelerated.

“I know you said you didn’t want to come here but we had no choice.” HyeSu said, trying to keep me in the bed.
“No!” I screamed. “You don’t understand! My dad didn’t want to come here but we forced him too, and now he’s gone! Once you come in here, you don’t come out.”

Ren and JR ran into the room.

“I’m sorry Minnie.” HyeSu begged.

“You promised me!” I shouted to JR. “Both of you promised me.”

“We had to, the pain would have sent your body into shock!” Ren shouted. “You could have died. Don’t you understand?”

I covered my eyes.

“How could you do this to me?” I cried.

“Did you really expect us to be able to cope seeing you in pain?” JR said.

“I’d rather be in pain then in here.” I hissed. I managed to tug off the pads on my chest, making the heart machine emit one steady drone of a beep.

“Minnie please!” Ren begged helplessly.

JR came over and held my arms down firmly, careful to avoid the bandages.

“Get off me.” I said.

“No.”

I tried to kick my legs but they were trapped by the covers. JR rested his forehead against my head.

“I can’t stay in here.”

“We’re all here for you.” JR whispered. “There’s no need to be scared.”

Gradually my breathing calmed down and my heart rate decreased. JR’s eyelashes fluttered against my own as he waited for me to stop fighting. Finally he stood up.

“I’m really sorry Minnie.” Ren whispered. He leant down and hugged me. “I know I promised but I couldn’t bear it...”

“It’s okay.” I replied softly, patting his hair. “It’s okay.”

Aron, Baekho and Minhyun came into the room. They also began to apologise.

“No no.” I swallowed. “It’s fine, I understand why you had to bring me here.” The all came and sat on the bed around me, HyeSu too.

“You should try and get some rest.” Minhyun whispered. I obediently closed my eyes.

“You’ll all still be here right?” I said.

“Of course.” They murmmered.

“If a nurse tried to kick me out I’ll just use my masculine charm.” Baekho said.

“You really cannot help yourself!” HyeSu said. I didn’t even have to look to tell she was rolling her eyes.

“I guess charm comes naturally to me.” He replied.

“Oh please.” She scoffed. “You couldn’t even charm a cockroach.”

“But I managed to charm you and you’re worse then a...OUCH.”

“Unless you want to be the one in the hospital bed, I suggest you stop talking.” HyeSu said cheerfully.

“Are you guys actually going to let Minjae sleep?” JR said, amused.

“I think she’s sleeping already.” Ren said. I felt his face hover over mine, his breath tickling me.

“Maybe we should all try and sleep.” Minhyun said.

There was sounds of agreement and rustling as everyone tried to get comfortable.

When everything was quiet, I opened my eyes.

Ren was lying with his head on my stomach and Aron was lying on Ren’s leg. HyeSu was lying in between my leg and Aron’s back and Baekho and Minhyun were curled up in balls at the end of the bed. JR was lying with his head just below mine so I could see all his silky black hair.

We looked like some sort of jigsaw.

A jigsaw where all the pieces were different sizes and shapes.

But we still fitted together anyway.