The

Deliria High: The Dance Partner

 

HyeSu and I lay on the grass outside, enjoying the warmth of the sun.

“That cloud looks like a cat.” I squealed happily, pointing.

“It only resembles a cloud to me.” She said.

“You’re not looking at it properly.” I huffed. “You have to look at it from this angle.” I twisted my neck.

“I’m not dislocating my neck just to see a cloud that looks like a cloud and not a cat.” HyeSu said firmly.

“Just ‘cause you can’t see it.” I mumbled. “You obviously can’t think outside the box.”

“What!” She cried, outraged. I stuck my tongue out at her. “Fine, I’ll find something...”

HyeSu’s eyes scanned the clouds until all of a sudden...

“There! That one looks like you.” She pointed. I looked in the direction eagerly.

“How?"I frowned, "It just looks like a fat cloud."

“Yeah, it resembles your fat head.” 

I scooped up a handful of grass and chucked it at her.

“Minjae! I have hayfever.” She whined.

“Oh please.” I scoffed. “I’ve never heard you sneeze before.”

“I’ve never heard you sneeze before.” HyeSu mimicked my voice perfectly.

“Don’t start.”

“Don’t start.”

“Stop copying me!”

“Stop copying me!”

“HYESU!”

“HYE-”

“God, do they have to be so noisy. There’s no peace around here.”

HyeSu froze in mid mimic. Together we turned to face the voice of the speaker.

A girl in the year above us sat on the grass with her group of friends. She had red hair that fall down and curled onto the grass. Her green eyes were looking at us distastefully. She looked like she was part Irish or something. Her noise was pinched and held in the air like we smelt bad.

“Excuse me?” HyeSu said.

“Ugh, no wonder they’re so noisy, they seem too deaf to hear the racket they’re making.” Said the girl, turning  to her friends.

“Oh my gosh you’re so right Su-ji.”

“I know Su-Ji, they should go to their room or something.”

“I didn’t know you guys owned the field.” I said, smiling politely. “And you know it’s polite to look the person you’re talking about in the face.”

Su-ji pretended to laugh,

“Isn’t your sense of humour just delightful?” She snarled.

“I guess I can’t help being funny.” 

“Oh please. You? Funny? Don’t make me laugh.”

“Your face is making me laugh.” HyeSu snapped.

Su-Ji turned her eyes on HyeSu.

“Sorry who are you again? Oh yeah, the girl who’s parents abandoned her to go to England.”

“Listen ,” HyeSu hissed. “You may think you are so kickass sitting there with your Rapunzel hair and all you’re giggling friends, but lets see how great you feel when my hand connects with your face."

“Ignore her HyeSu.” I said, glaring at Su-Ji. “She isn’t even worth our time.”

“Because you’re so worth our time,” Su-Ji sneered, “Minjae. Everyone’s friendly .”

My blood turned to ice.

“What, did you just say to me?” My voice dangerously quiet. Su-Ji got to her feet and walked towards me slowly.

“What do you think your relationship with half the boys in our school is a secret? I don’t know what it is JR or Ren see in you.”

“You’re just a jealous cow.” HyeSu said. “Just because all of the boys see you for what you are...”

“...An attention seeking spoilt .” I finished.

Su-Ji’s cheeks flushed red.

“You know what I don’t get.” She whispered. “I don’t get why JR wants you, when he can have any girl in this freaking school. Instead he settles for some boring , tall mumbling freak. Even your own Mother doesn’t want you.” She raised her eyebrows at my pale face. “Oh yeah, I saw her. Couldn’t drop you at the gates quick enough. I feel for her; if I had a daughter as disappointing as you...well let’s just say you wouldn’t be standing here right now.”

Some people say that when you lose your temper you see red, or that it just snaps. Mine was like a mirror; it dropped and shattered.

In one motion I had a fistful of her hair in my hands.

“Say that whole speech again. In this position.” I commanded through gritted teeth, tugging her head down. Her eyes went wide with shock. She seemed incapable of speech. “Oh not talking now are we? Cat got your ing tongue? Next time you want to talk about me, or my best friend like that, you better do it from a distance.”

I let go of her, pushing her away roughly. She stumbled and fell to the ground.

“How dare you...” She began.

“She dared.” Said HyeSu firmly. “Now just stop talking.”

Su-Ji’s mouth closed abruptly. “There’s a good girl.” Said HyeSu sweetly.

“I’ll get you for this.” Su-Ji snarled.

“Oh choose another cheesy line.” I smirked, beginning to walk away.

“Bon voyage es.” HyeSu waved over her shoulder.