Under Constellations

The Worst in Goodbyes

The sun had finally disappeared from sight and the moon is peeking its way into the night. The darkness slowly swallowed the streets and streetlights started to light the streets. I was sitting down on one of the benches of our garden. My legs, both fine and bandaged, were stretched out on our green lawn. I was feeling the cold night air and just resting my body and mind. Though my wounded feet stings from time to time, it was getting better.

A flash of headlight caught my eye. A minivan stopped in front of our house. Four guys walked out of the small vehicle. One of them was carrying a grocery bag packed with sodas and snacks. They stopped in front of the gate, as if waiting for something.

I eyed the person heading them, pouted and said, “What are you doing here?”

“Soojin-sshi, I’m very sorry. Please forgive me,” Leeteuk begged as he was on his knees. I spotted Sungmin and Eunhyuk snickering at the background. Then I finally saw Donghae smiling and pulling Leeteuk up.

“Hyung, you’re blocking the way.” Donghae then pushed him aside so that he can open the gate.

“I didn’t say you guys can come in,” I said, raising an eyebrow.

“Soojin…not me too?” he asked, lost for words.

The three guys were snickering behind him now. Donghae’s face was a mix of confusion and sadness.

I finally gave up the attitude and smiled at them. Besides, Donghae’s confused puppy look always gets me.

“I’m just kidding. You guys can come in,” I said, smiling at them.

Sungmin, who was at the back of the group, pushed everyone aside and was the first one to come in. Eunhyuk, who was eyeing Sungmin very furiously, grabbed him by the hood of his jacket and rode Sungmin like a horse. Donghae and Leeteuk joined in by hitting Sungmin’s arms.

“Why did you do that, Hyung? Huh? Huh?” he said as he continuously messed with Sungmin’s hair.

They are such kids! I can’t help but laugh. As I burst out laughing, the four of them where in a choir with me, also laughing at their act. Eunhyuk got on his feet and received a large blow from Sungmin.

“MY HAIR’S A MESS! YOU MONKEY!”

“YOU PUSHED US, ANNOYING RABBIT!”

“You guys that’s enough.” Wow, I should be a circus trainer. The two wild animals finally calmed down and smile at me. The four made their way to my direction.

Donghae sat down beside me and handed me a soda. The three guys were sitting at the lawn. Eunhyuk stretched out his hands up high and lie down on the lawn.

“Is your wound okay now?” Donghae asked.

“It’s getting better now. It stings less now.”

I was startled at Leeteuk’s next act. He quickly stumbled to his knees and bended down. He clasped his hands in front of his pouty face. “Soojin-sshi, I’m really sorry. Forgive me, will you?”

I smiled. He’s being cute!

“Eww, hyung! You, acting cute like that, is so gross. Besides, you doing it wrong,” Sungmin objected. Sungmin then pouted his lips and batted his eye lashes at me. He raised his paws, I mean hands, in front of his face and said, “THIS is cute, right, Soojin-sshi?” in his sweetest, heart-melting voice.

Wow. Just…wow. He’s a lady killer. Whoever says that gross is so stupid.

“Now that,” Donghae interrupted, “IS gross.”

I hit him on his thigh.

“What was that for?” he asked.

“Don’t say that. It’s…rude,” I said, a small smile painted on my face.

“You liked that, don’t you?” Sungmin said, smiling at me. “Well, a lot of girls do.”

I smiled even wider, even snickered. I then looked at Leeteuk who was still on his knees.

“Leeteuk-oppa, of course I forgive you.”

“O-oppa.” He blushed.

I nodded. “Besides, what’s to forgive if it’s not even your fault that there’s a shard of bottle on the sand. So, no one’s at fault here, alright?”

He buried his face on his hands. He was acting a bit giddy. “She called me oppa,” he said.

Really. They are such kids!

I looked at Donghae, then to Sungmin. We all shared the same face: surprised. And the three of us laughed. Eunhyuk then sat up.

“What’s the commotion about? I think I just slept there.”

Then the four of us laughed.

Donghae handed them the rest of that sodas and opened some snacks. We ate the whole lot and were now looking at the bright stars up above us. It was quite a quiet night. Slow cold wind was blowing beneath us, giving us a relaxed feeling. Some cicadas sing along with the night. Stray cats wandered the streets to rummage some food elsewhere and the four of us happily spaced out on the wonderful evening.

The silence was interrupted by Donghae’s voice.  “It’s been a long, long time since we had out last vacation.”

“Yeah…” replied the other three in chorus.

Oh, this poor guys. They deserve this vacation. They’ve been, well, deprived of all the rest they need. They’ve been all over TV shows, with photo shoots, radio hosting, and advertisements in between. I cant help but sigh at the thought.

“Well, it’s getting late. I think we should head back to the hotel. We’re going to drop off Donghae on their house on the way, too.” Leeteuk stood up from the lawn and stretched his arms.

“Aren’t you guys staying at Donghae’s?” I asked, looking from Leeteuk to Donghae who was sitting beside me.

“I told them they can have my room, but…”

“I can only fit in his room,” Sungmin said, smirking at Donghae.

“That’s over exaggerating,” Donghae said, looking at Sungmin with a what-are-you-talking-about-you-annoying-rabbit-you look.

“It’s okay anyway. I like hotel food,” Eunhyuk said, standing up too.

“My mom can cook for us.”

“We also have shame,” Eunhyuk said, matter-of-factly, patting Donghae’s shoulder. “I guess we’re not going tomorrow, aren’t we?” he continued.

I looked confused. I looked at Donghae for some answer. He read my stare and he answered.

“Well, according to Eunhyuk’s well planned itinerary…”

“Which is ruined now,” Eunhyuk interrupted.

“Shut up.” Donghae whispered to him. I giggled. “We, including you, were supposed to go fishing tomorrow,” he continued. “But because to recent turn of events…” he pointed at my feet, “…I g uess we cant go.”

“Why spoil your vacation because of me? You guys can go ahead and do what you want.”

“Or…” Sungmin butted in, “you can come with us.”

“I cant go. My feet…”

“So? Will your feet be holding the fishing pole?” Sungmin said, laughing a bit. I, too, laughed. “Are you coming or not?”

The four of them stared at me and waited for a reply.

“Well…”

“Okay… see you tomorrow. Good night.” Leeteuk waved his hand and dragged Eunhyuk to the gate. Sungmin crossed his arms in front of his chest and smiled really wide and followed the other two guys to the gate and off to the minivan. Donghae helped me stood up.

“I didn’t even say anything,” I told Donghae.

“You’ll agree anyway. There’s no use.”

“I was just…”

“Did you see Sungmin’s aegyo? That’s 10%. If he raises it up a notch, you’ll swoon to agreement,” Donghae said, amused. “We’ll pick you up in the morning, at about 8 AM. Don't worry about your wound, I’ll carry you if I have to.”

“I’ll SKIP if I have to.”

We both laughed. He helped me to our house and bid goodbye. The three guys were waving goodbye and Donghae did as well as he got to the gate. As the headlight shone the road, I waved goodbye and went into the house.

Those guys. They weird me out, but their fun. They really are super.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

Did you guys have a wonderful Christmas? I did.

The craziest thing I got for Christmas is a weighing scale. WOW. Just...wow. But it cool, its made of glass. At first i thought it was a digital clock.

Was this update short? This is what I can write for the meantime. Hope to hear from you wonderful people. Thank you.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

~Crina