Confessions and Sharing

The Worst in Goodbyes

Donghae remained in the gravesite of his father. It’s getting dark now and everyone except me and him went home. He was sitting by the tombstone, touching his father’s name engraved on it. My parents insisted that I stay beside him.

I sat down and faced him.

“Your dress will be dirty,” Donghae said, still touching the tombstone.

Yes, my dress will be dirty, but I didn’t care. I didn’t care if it’s white, or how hard it’s going to take to wash it.

“Never mind me,” I said. Then I put on my sunglasses too, in case he saw my red eyes.

I looked around and there were some Elfs gathered around at one corner of the cemetery. I guess they’re also sad when anyone from Super Junior is sad. They really are loyal fans.

I looked at Donghae’s father’s grave. I felt sad again and wanted to cry. I guess Donghae felt that I was going to cry so he grabbed my hand and said, “Ya, don’t make me cry again.” I sniffled and hold back my tears.

I’m very close to Donghae’s parents, especially to his father. So does he to mine. The four of us used to play kick ball until we drop out of exhaustion. Donghwa would just look at us from a distance. I smiled upon remembering.

He saw me smiled. “What are you smiling at?” he said with fallen face.

I quickly returned my face to normal the instance he spoke. I answered, “Remember when we were kids, both our dads and us used to play kick ball?”

He half-smiled. “Yeah, I miss those times. Too bad the four of us can’t hang out anymore.” As he finished his last word, he looked solemn again.

Whenever Donghae is sad, I’d try to offer something to make his problems or worries lessen. When we were kids, I’d give him candy. Apple flavored was his favorite. In high school, I’d buy him something to eat. But now, I don’t know what to offer. Should I buy the biggest apple flavored candy for him? Or take him to an eat-all-you-can buffet? After a while, it hit me.

“Hae,” I said.

He looked at me and asked, “What?”

“I remembered something again,” I said. Though he looked interested to what I was going to saw, I know he was half hearted to listen to me. Thinking that maybe the thing I’m going to say is about his father.

“What is it?” he asked.

“We were ten back then and were loved to bicker, right?”

He nodded.

“There was this one time I hit you in the leg because you said ‘I’m going to steal your daddy!’” I imitated Donghae with a wide smirk on my face. I wiped the smirk off my face, looked at him and said, “After I hit you I said I would never EVER share my dad with you/”

“Where is this going?” he asked, looking very interested now.

“Now, I’m willing to share my dad…with you,” I said. My dad is no apple flavored candy or buffet buy I think Hae liked it. He actually smiled at the thought, but a lone tear fell from behind the sunglasses.

He looked to his father’s tombstone and said “Pa, did you hear that? Soojin love me,” he said, and blurted a small laugh.

I looked surprised. “What?” is the only thing I said. Scratch that, yelled.

Donghae is still looking at his father’s grave.

He was half laughing, half crying. He looked ridiculous but who knew what he was thinking.

He looked at me and said, “Soojin, thank you for sharing your father with me.” He smiled now. “Your dad is great and all, but nobody can replace my father.”

“I knew that,” I said. “It’s just…I wanted to offer something.”

“You can always treat me to a restaurant,” he said jokingly.

“Donghae, cut it out, I’m serious.”

“I’m serious too.”

“Restaurant?” I asked, getting annoyed.

“My dad,” he said

“Donghae, of course I know that. It’s just, if you miss Uncle, you can always call my dad.” It’s a stupid offer but I really am serious.

After a while, we haven’t said a word. Then something came to me again.

“Why did you laughed?”

“Huh, sorry?” he asked, puzzled.

“A while ago, you laughed. And the ‘Soojin-loves-me’ thing, what’s that?” I asked.

He smiled again.

“Come on, Hae,” I pressed on. I really wanted to know.

“Okay!” he finally said. “After the time you hit my leg and walked-away, your dad saw me. He heard us.”

“And?”

“He said, when you FINALLY share your dad with me, it means you love me so much you wanted to share your dad. Soojin… I’m not that easy,” he laughed.

“Ah, Uncle,” I said, looking at Donghe’s father’s grave. It looked a bit aegyo I think. “I just said that so he won’t be a lot sad.”

Hae hold my hand, pulled me close to him and hugged me.

“However sad I feel, Soojin, you always make me feel a lot better,” he whispered to my ear.

I tugged him away but he didn’t want to let go. “Thanks,” he whispered again. I smiled, to the fact that I made him feel a bit better.

“No problem,” is my only reply.

we pulled away from the hug and he stood up. He then took my hand and help me stand up. At the corner of my eye, I swear I saw some Elfs crying a lot harder now. ‘No’ I thought, ‘I’m not the girlfriend.’ Donghae took off his coat and wrapped it around my waist down.

“I told you so. Now your dress.” I look at my dress and sure enough, it was muddy.

“Yours too,” I exclaimed, looking at his pants.

“I’m a guy, its okay.” He smiled. He looked at the grave again and said, “We’ll come to visit again, Pa. Saranghae.”

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Well that was...long? I dont know where to cut this chapter so I decided type everthing I wrote.

As soon as I finished typing the next chapter, I'll update.

Thanks

~Crina