Christmas Tree

Trio

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun steps back into the small living space of the apartment, bottled water tipped to his open mouth while he watches Jinki and Minho decorating their Christmas tree, because he was off duty after getting tangled in the pile of lights, and both he and Jinki would leave the worst for Minho to do. The stare turns adoring as the two casually argue over where an ornament should be placed, both taking it off a tree branch and placing it elsewhere. Jinki tries to hide a grin, pushing further to ruffle Minho’s feathers as the joke becomes serious to the younger.
 
“Hyung, really.. it can’t go there.”
 
Jinki finally slaps at Minho’s arm that’s moving the decoration, hand staying pressed to his sweatered arm as it slowly drags down and squeezes affectingly, voice a giggle and shoulders shrugged. Minho pouts slightly, knowing he has been had. Jonghyun bites back a smile, finding the two irresistible and lucky he has them. The holiday season reminds him of that fact most.
 
Jonghyun steps forward, arms soon latching around Jinki from behind, and he offers the oldest a sip of water, body tipping the two back and forth a tiny bit in a silly dance. “Drink?”
 
Jinki tries and succeeds in getting a sip from the tipped bottle without spilling. 
 
Jonghyun steps back, smile wide. He eyes the star still partly wrapped in a box, asking “Who’s putting the star on?”
 
Jinki and Minho glance at each other, secret smiles shared.
 
“Hyung, the tree is just your height,” Minho says, “You can.”
 
Jonghyun sputters on his drink, eyes wide. He looks back at the year’s particularly small, short tree the two had dragged in earlier that day. Jonghyun figured it was just for the lack of space in their tiny home. “Did you guys plan this?”
 
Jinki laughs. “We don’t want to fight you over the star this year.”
 
“But.. it’s tradition.” Jonghyun’s smile falls, upset the small tussle to the top of the tree isn’t happening. He had plans to bend Minho over and use him as a stepping stool too. This isn’t fair.
 
Jinki pats Jonghyun’s shoulder and Minho sneaks a quick kiss to Jonghyun’s cheek. Jonghyun stares at the Christmas tree shorter than him, annoyed he’s been played at his own games. "I'm going to kill you.." he grumbles in a blank threat.