potatoes are your friends

The Healer's Vision

  “What's missing?” Jonghun asked, sipping on a mug of coffee. His eyes closed, head hung low, and body shaking with a trepid fear. No one had ever dared to break into his apartment before. He had always felt safe, and now he no longer felt safe in his own home.

“Only an envelope.” Hongki sighed, curling up beside Jonghun on the sofa. “I haven't finished putting everything back in order, but that's the only thing that seems to be missing.”

“An envelope?” Minhwan walked in. “What was so important about that envelope?”

Hongki chewed his lip, glancing between the two. These people that he called his friends. He could trust them, he always knew that he could. “It was given to me earlier by my ex wife, Ha Yul. She told me I've been being followed. The envelope had pictures and files in it...things about me. She seemed really scared.”

“Who would be following you?” Jonghun asked.

“I don't know.” A long silence followed that statement before Hongki spoke again. “And I guess I'm not going to figure it out now..”

Minhwan sighed. “Well, if anything, we at least need to get the bed put back together so that you can sleep tonight.”

Hongki nodded. “I'll go do that.”

“I'll help.” Minhwan's voice was stiff when he offered his help, throwing a knowing look at Hongki, one that told him not to argue the help but that it was also an ulterior motive for doing so.

The two left Jonghun in the living room and walked back down to the hall to Hongki's bedroom. The couch was put back together and the things were shoved back into the drawers but the bed was still a mess and clothes were strewn all about the room. Hongki sighed and walked over to the mattress.

“Whatever you have to say can wait until we get this back on the bed.” He told the other boy.

Minhwan nodded and took the other side of the heavy mattress and together the two of them maneuvered it back onto the bed. It was heavy for a queen-sized mattress and left both of them panting. Minhwan was the first one to catch his breath and to speak.

“About this thing with Wonbin.” He cleared his throat awkwardly. “He told everyone that you weren't taking advantage of him.”

“I wasn't.” Hongki deadpanned, staring down Minhwan for a moment before finding some clean sheets for the bed. He tossed one corner of the fitted sheet to Minhwan and they both began to slide it onto the bed.

“I know that now, and I'm sorry for assuming something. Wonbin's a good guy, and he's been done wrong before.”

“I'm not the kind of person who would do something like that to one of my friends.” Hongki spoke again, blocking off what Minhwan would have said next.

“I know.” Minhwan got the last corner of the sheet onto the bed and smoothed out all the wrinkles. “And I've said I'm sorry for overreacting to it.”

“But that's not all you wanted to say to me?” Hongki questioned, spreading out the top sheet onto the bed.

Minhwan shook his head. “I also wanted to talk to you about Jonghun.”

Hongki groaned inwardly, preparing himself for another one of the very annoying 'you can't have him he belongs to me' talks that Minhwan usually prepared for him when they were alone.

“Take care of him.” These words froze Hongki, making him look up at the other man with wide eyes.

“What?”

“You heard me.” Minhwan grunted. “Don't make me repeat myself. This is already hard enough, as is.”

“What are you talking about, though?” Hongki tucked the sheet under on his side of the bed, Minhwan mimicking his motions before either one of them spoke again.

“I love him.” Minhwan said. “You know that, he knows that, everyone knows that. We also know that he doesn't love me...all I want is for him to be happy, Hongki. Even if that means he won't be with me.”

“What's that got to do with me?”

“You are so stupid sometimes!” Minhwan groaned, turning around and kicking the base of the nightstand. Something fell out from behind it onto the floor. Minhwan ignored it and turned to glare at Hongki. “He loves you, you idiot. And I swear to god, if you hurt him I will turn your life inside out and destroy you.”

With that being said, Minhwan huffed and stomped out the door.

Hongki watched after him in shock for a while. He blinked a few times, unable to get a grasp on what he had just been told, then, just as he was about to walk out of the bedroom, his toe caught on something and spun it across the room.

“What?” Hongki walked over and picked it up, the thing that Minhwan had knocked from behind the nightstand. A small, square case. It was the disc, the one that Ha Yul had given him. “This must have fallen behind there when the thief started to leave..”