Chapter 18

Destiny

2012, June 9th, Wannabe comeback D-day
At the showcase venue
     5 members of Wannabe are checking one more time from outfits, makeup, in-ear monitors and micros before going on stage. Their showcase started 5 minutes ago with the introduction of MC – one of the close dongsaeng to them – Shinee Minho. They heard the loud cheering from crowds outside, which means it’s time for them. Minho calls their name and the music starts. A lot of songs including solo and group are performed with the enthusiastic cheering from their fans.
     In the middle of the showcase, they have a talking time where they will answer questions that fans sent to them through survey held by SM staff:
   “Welcome everyone to the showcase of Wannabe mini album Return: The chaser”
    A round of applause with cheering can be heard through the venue. Then Minho continues: “Firstly, please introduce yourself.”
    “Hello, we are Wannabe.” Then each of them send their greetings from left to right:
    “Hello, I’m Kwon Yul. Nice to meet you all.”
    “I’m Kim Taeng. Please take care of us.”
    “I’m Im Yoon, nice to see you.”
    “I’m Choi Soo who is very happy to be here”
    “And lastly, I’m Lee Sun. Nice to meet you.”
The fans give everyone the loud support as soon as they finished their greeting. It shows how much they love them as a group.
    “Ok, so after finishing introduction, should we change to the next part, Q&A sections now?” Receiving agree signs from Wannabe, Minho starts to read several questions that he has in hand. Some are about their new album, how they made it together with other producers, what happened when filming the MV, some funny things that they went through,…
    “The next question is for Kim Taeng: Please tell us more about 2 years that you were away? I am curious.”
All eyes are on Kim Taeng after the question, and he knows himself that it will happen, he slowly raises his micro and talks slowly with a small smile:
“Well, I guess it’s finally come. I know a lot of people are curious what happened for 2 years and why I disappeared suddenly. Actually it’s a very long story, as far as I know, my company will release an official statement later regarding this, however I will tell you shortly about it now. I had an severe problems with my health, exactly my head 2 years ago. And I decided to go abroad and received treatment without telling my members because I was afraid that I could not comeback. Luckily, everything went good, but I lost my memory and lived in US until I met one person from SM. After that I think you already know, I came back here, preparing and getting used to this, then now appearing in front of you as Wannabe’s Kim Taeng.”
   During his answering, no sound can be heard, everybody is focus on each words that he said. He can tell that a lot of them is getting a bit emotional after knowing what really happened. Yul and Yoon who are sitting next to him give him a light pat on the shoulders with a smile.
“Well, I think what’s important now is that you are here, completely fine, right everyone?” – Minho tries to continue the show with the statement.
“Yes.” – The fans are screaming loudly for Kim Taeng, a warm welcome they officially give him.
   With then, they continue answers some questions before announcing their schedules for this comeback along with the Asia tour. The final song “The chaser” was performed before Wannabe ends their showcase.
   A lot of news about Wannabe, especially Kim Taeng are seen to be on top of every news sites. SM also releases an official statement with more detail information about Kim Taeng and his health now. Mostly every fans are supporting them stronger than before. Of course, there are always a lot of anti-fans who will attack them without specific reasons.
    The comeback is very successful, all 3 songs with MV tops the charts continuously. Wannabe also receives no 1 in every programs for straight 3 weeks, and some in several following weeks. They are busy promoting news song by attending a lot of varieties, talk shows while continuing their tour over Asia. They once again remain on top with the comeback after 2 years, have new CF and brings a lot of profit for SM as usual.
August 3, 2012, SM entertainment
   As usual, all trainees are gathering again to hear about their subjects for the next showcase and evaluation at the end of this month. They are sitting by groups of 5 to 7 people chatting about different things, such as: fashion, new song, the trends, some famous celebrities and of course, the hot guys:
“Hey, did you watch fancam from Wannabe sunbaenim concert?” – one trainee asked excitedly.
“No, I haven’t.”
“Yes, I watched it last night. My Yoong oppa is so hot.” – a girl answered with a dreamy expression.
“No, I thought Taeng oppa is hotter. Handsome and cute.” – a girl talk and received a deadly glare from the girl beside.
“Well, I think all of them are very hot. I wonder who will be their girlfriend in the future, they would be so lucky.” – another girl trying to end a small argument because of handsome man.
“I heard they sometimes will attend evaluations, what if I can catch one of their heart?” – The girl start having her fantasyland, but it’s not long before she was cut by others.
“They will never love normal person like us, stop dreaming.” After seeing girls are pouting in disappointment, she continues: “I heard rumors that they all had girlfriends now.”
“Really? Who are they? I really want to know.”
“I read comments online, some couples being mentioned are Im Yoon - Suzy, Kwon Yul – SNSD Jessica, Kim Taeng - SNSD Tiffany.”
“Wow, if that’s true, 2 couples are inside SM, so excited.”
“I am not sure, I think we will know someday.”
     Meanwhile, Joo Huyn is sitting with Seulgi and some other trainees, they are talking about music and the performance last month, then they heard the group beside excitedly chatting about Wannabe. Ever since they released new album this year, they are always the hot topic among trainees, including their rumors. 
“I have been here for 3 months, however I never see Wannabe in real life. Did they really appear in month evaluation, unnie?” – Soo Young asked Joo Huyn who is sitting in front of her.
“Huh? Ah, yes. They sometimes attend and even become our teacher for one day.” She wakes up from her thoughts after hearing the question.
“Wow, they are the senior that I like a lot. I hope that I can meet them one day.” – Seung wan said truthfully.
“You will meet them for sure since we are at the same company. Wannabe oppa are all very kind and handsome, that’s why a lot of girls want to get close to them.” – Yerim talks honestly since she saw many girls fell for them over years.
“Yeah, but celebrities are dangerous, like they easily dating a lot of girls for example.” – Soo Young said the truth which can be seen a lot inside entertainment industry.
     During the conversation, there are two girls who suddenly remember some memories, which leads them into similar thoughts: “He is very famous now, and he may already have girlfriend. I shouldn’t think about it anymore, let’s just focus on practicing.”
     Some minutes later, the manager comes in holding a paper in his hand: “Attention, please. I will tell you the main topic of the showcase as well as valuation this month. It’s … nothing.” Seeing confusing expression from trainees, he explains: “It means that they we don’t set topic for this event. Everyone can choose freely what you want to do in order to show your ability. We will have solo and group of 3-6 people performance, therefore, you all should choose your team and do your best from now on. Everybody understands?” “Yes”
“Good. One more thing, we will have some artists from our company attend to give you comments along with our trainers, so please prepare seriously. It’s a good chance for you all.”
“Yes, we get it.” 
     After the manager left, the murmur of voice can be heard through the room. They are excited as well as worried about the next event. Since it seems big, this maybe an important event to choose final candidates to be debuted soon.
“Oh, I’m shaking. What should we do? Should 5 of us form a group too?” – Seung wan asked excitedly.
“It’s a good idea. We haven’t been a team, it may be a new chance, right unnie?”
“Uhm. I agree. We should prepare soon.” – Seulgi answers Yerim honestly and looking at others to get an agreement.
Another day in August, at a coffee shop in Hong dae
    Three girls sitting together and chatting happily. They haven’t seen each other for a while, that’s why they are super happy now.
“It’s been a really long time, I like this place.”
“Yes, we used to go here at least once a week, however we are a little busy these day.” – The girl sitting in the middle said.
“That’s right, the race is getting more intense and I am getting more stressed these days. I don’t know what will happen next.” 
“We will be fine, Nayeon unnie. You, me and Jennie too.” – Ji Soo pats the shoulders of two people beside her with a reassuring expression.
“Yes, I hope that. Jennie ah, have you got used to training life inside YG?” – Nayeon asked, concerning with the little girl.
“Yes, I am okay, unnie. I have been here longer than JiSoo unnie though. She is just fine and I still feel comfortable about practicing.”
“Oh, I forgot. That’s good. You will be fine, don’t worry. I am just a bit sensitive about it.” Nayeon just shrugs her shoulders before going on: “And I saw you two are already introduced to public, even if it has not been official, it’s a good sign.” – 
“You will be fine too. Don’t think about unhappy things, let’s just have fun between us and enjoy this moment together.”  “The noodles are arrived.”- All three girls are excited about foods that are served.
When they are eating, the music changes to “That xx” by Wannabe Kim Taeng and Im Yoon. 
“Oh, I like this song so much. The playlists here are good.” – Ji Soo smiles happily for the second time. Of course the first time is for the food.
“Tsk, tsk, I don’t really know why you are in YG while you are loyal fan of SM group.” – Nayeon playfully said.
“I like YG group too. But don’t you think SM songs are good too? I just like music.” 
“Nayeon unnie, she even told our chairman that she liked DBSK the most when attending the auditions. What more needs to say? She’s a SM-stan who lives inside YG.”
“You two… Stop laughing.” – Just then, Ji Soo has to try her best to calm down two person laughing their off while teasing her. This day is one of their best days among the circles of practicing they have every day, for unknown years until their debut.
August 10, WA entertainment 
   Unusually, the room is filled with silent. The main reason was because of the chaos made by two eldest girls here.
15 minutes ago
    They were having a little rest when rewatching the choreography they just practiced. They saw some mistakes then noted it down in order to fix it the next time.      Each one was having different conversation with each other, suddenly the two youngest heard loud noises from the right:
“You should do it more actively. You can do it.” – The older, Yong Sun said.
“No, I can’t.” – Buyl Yi answers back.
“You can.” “I can’t” … They repeated the same things for several times with louder voice until they start fighting, throwing cereal everywhere which made Wheein and HyeJin to be fluttering. They tried their best to separate the two older, and after that, they were sitting in two corner without saying anything until now.

    “What should we do HyeJin ah?” – Wheein whispers.
    “I don’t know. They seem to be very angry at each other, maybe we just let them like this for a while, then you go and ask them what happened, advise them a bit.” – HyeJin said while carefully looking at two people.
“Why me? I am scared, they are scary now.” 
“So who can do it? There are only 4 of us here, and I am not really good with words like you. And they are always gentle with you, it’ll be fine.”
“Okay, I will try later.” – Wheein is finally convinced by her best friend. She takes out her earphones to listen to music before talking to the two quick-tempered people here. 
     HyeJin looks at Wheein’s music players to see which songs she is listening. She smiles then taking one of her earphones out to teasing: “I know right away. So have you met him recently? How far did you two go?”
“What are you saying? I already told you we are friends. And a lot of people like his music, it’s normal that I like it too.” – Wheein explains, however she talks quite fast, as if she is restless.
“I just say it, only you know if it’s true or false. As your friend, I think he has some feeling for you, so I hope you two can get along well.” – HyeJin said seriously and mischievously at the same time, which makes Wheein’s face to become red a bit.
“Well, I have to talk to our unnie so that we can back to practice as soon as possible. I don’t have time to talk nonsense with you now.” – Wheein stands up right after saying. HyeJin just looks at her friend’s back while smiling happily, thinking that she’s so cute a while ago.
August 20th, one day after the broadcast day of Strong heart
     The article keeps on being published, all are about Wannabe, SNSD and the things they talked on the show. The episode got the highest rating of all the episodes aired this year. Wannabe dating rumor, Kim Taeng life in US, how Kim Taeng comeback, Wannabe new album and their personal life,.. are all things that were mentioned on that show. The fans are especially the most excited about dating rumors nowadays since they all cleared it with SNSD members there. In addition, you can see that there is one sentence that Kwon Yul said is brought up a lot: “I don’t know everything that happened to him, but it’s good that he’s not changed much, for example the sleeping habit, still talking so clearly.” It may be a joke but also a good evidence to tell everyone, especially their fans all over the world that Wannabe is finally back completely.
A day after, at night inside the S restaurant in Hongdae
    Kwon Yul is meeting his friend shortly before flying to Japan 3 days later for the new Japan arena tour – a new tour was announced a week ago even though they are still busy with Asia tour. He might not come back to Korea from 1 to 2 months.
“It’s really hard to meet you these days. Now it feels true, the truth that you are a star, huyng.” – Ki Hoon is playful again.
“Yes, thanks for your compliments, that’s my pride.” – Yul responses proudly with a big smile on his face, knowing that Ki Hoon is a normal friend that he always needs. He feels comfortable, so he can live as a normal person, not a famous singer.
“I like you now, I mean your smile, don’t get me wrong. I only like hot girls, not man.”
“Lol, I know you too well, you are not my style either, no need worrying.”
     Drinking one more cup of wine, they are watching the night view while continuing talking:
“So which kind of girl do you like? Do you really have a girlfriend now?”
Yul is knitting his eyes brows before answering: “You really believe in those rumors? I don’t have anyone now, actually I will not easy tell anyone about this even when I have, but I will tell you since you keep secrets well.”
“So do you still like that trainee?”
“Trainee? What are you talking about?” 
       Seeing the flustered expression from Kwon Yul, Ki Hoon wants to pick on him again: “You told me a lot of time about a girl, who helped you a lot when Wannabe is in trouble. And you helped her a lot too. So I can get into conclusion that you liked her.”
“I did tell you? Ok, it’s just a crush I think. Both of us are not in the situation to think about that. And I don’t know much about her to think about love. You should know a trainee under SM is never easy.”
      Hearing that, Ki Hoon is more worried about his little sister, who is also a trainee now. He hasn’t told Kwon Yul about that since he doesn’t want her to feel any uncomfortable because he knows Yul will take care of her for him. “Can I ask something, huyng?”
“What is it? Why do you suddenly behave like a stranger?”
Ki Hoon hesitates for a minute before asking: “I heard that there is rules that a lot of trainees has to go through if they want to debut? Like… some exchange with the big faces”
“Do you really want to know the truth?” – Kwon Yul is trying to sound as mysteriously as possible to see Ki Hoon’s reaction. He then just smile at him for being fooled easily: “You should see yourself earlier, it’s like hearing about a whole new world exists.” “I am not kidding, huyng.”
“Ok, I got it. Relax, it did happen but not to that extent. The word “must” is not right. Of course, in some small companies they force some trainees to do it, but mostly I see more people do it voluntarily in order to be famous faster. But why are you curious about that? Don’t tell me you think I used that way.” Yul points his finger at Ki Hoon to playfully threaten him.
“Someone I am very close to is a trainee now. I am just worried.”
“Oh, you haven’t told me anything before. Is that friend inside Big 3? Because it’s safer. And if that person really has talent, don’t worry too much.”
“Yes, inside Big 3. She has been there for almost 5 years.”
“That’s long comparing to some new group nowadays. But it might be a good thing because that person will have more skills than others.”
Looking at how Yul is speaking honestly to him, Ki Hoon is really thankful and decides to tell him the truth: “Actually I have a little sister and she is a trainee under SM now.”
Kwon Yul is quite surprised to what he just knows: “Well, are you scared that I might bring trouble to her so that you didn’t tell me anything until now? It’s true that I have a crush on a trainee but it is not like I like every trainee out there. I am quite hard.” 
“Ay, don’t be angry. I just don’t want her to know that I am your friend, she might feel burdened.”
“That’s right. I am just kidding. Actually I don’t know a lot of trainees, and I am getting more and more busy so even if you asked, I couldn’t have helped her. But you can tell me if you need anything, I will try my best.” 
“Ok, I got it. But you should tell me the name of that trainee before I revealing my sister.”
“Aish, I cannot be too serious with you, mischievously as usual.”
Ki Hoon is laughing out loud while making a toast with Kwon Yul. Ki Hoon is actually has a small worry now but he is just thinking quietly: “It won’t be that coincidence right? I have a strange feeling that the girl you like is my sister.”
August 23, 2012 at SM entertainment showcase
      The show will start in 5 minutes. A lot of trainers inside SM such as Shim Jae Won – dance trainer, Jin Young – vocal trainer and a lot of singer from Super Junior, Girls Generation, Wannabe as well as BoA, Kangta and mr Lee So Man attend. This is the evaluation to classify again and reconsider for the next members of girl group, therefore all of them are getting more serious than ever.
     Showcase consists of 2 parts: solo first then group performances. It will take a long time so everyone seems to get tired after the first part ends. Mr Lee So Man realized it and try to lift the atmosphere up by telling joke, then even ask Wannabe to join in:
“Well, since you all are tired, should I ask our company superstar to lift the mood higher?” The trainees all nod lightly because they are always scared him – the most powerful person here. “Taengoo, can you help us?” A lot of trainees are surprised at how he calls Wannabe leader, it fills with affection, like a father is calling his son.
“Yes? Teacher, there are Suju and Soshi too, even BoA noona and Kangta huyng, how can we dare to perform here?” 
“Aigoo, everyone knows that Wannabe is hot star nowadays, and it’s been a long time since we can see you all, just do it and we may give you some good comments.”
     With that, everybody inside the venue give them an applause, so all 5 of them are getting on stage for special performance. Yul and Yoon grab a guitar, while Sun and Soo prepare some chair near the piano where Taeng is going to sit.
“Because we just thought that we are audiences today so we didn’t prepare anything. I hope all of you can enjoy it comfortably.” – Kim Taeng said on behalf of Wannabe before performing.
     They chose 3 songs to do a medley, which are That XX, Payphone and Somebody that I used to know. Their talents is just wonderful, and all people there, especially all girls are giving out their heart eyes to every member on stage.
     Mr Lee also stands up while clapping his hands: “As expected, my children. You all see right? That’s the star material that our company needs, and you are not only born with it, but also having to practice nonstop every day. That’s what I want to say before we move to the second part.” He pauses for a while to check if others understand what he said. “Ok, just continue now.” With that, the showcase is continuing smoothly and the winners for each part will receive a gift from company.    However, after announcing result, mr Lee just got an idea: “I think all trainees tried very hard for this event, so I want to have more special prize for them. We will pick the best in section like singing, rapping and dancing. So all of the judges here will choose one for each section and we will give prize to the most voted person.” The trainees are feeling better because their hard work is partly acknowledged. Actually since mr Lee is attend more in the company’s activities, everything is better.
     From trainers to celebrities, they choose the best person in their opinions. Now it’s 3 last members of Wananbe who is sitting at the end. 
“Well, unknowingly, our choice is the same for 3 sections. We don’t copy each other but it seems telepathy happened.” Kwon Yul talks and making others laughing. “So each of us will said one name for each section.”
     In order of their sitting, Kwon Yul to Kim Taeng to Im Yoon will tell the person being picked for dancing, singing and rapping respectively. Not much surprising, 3 familiar names are mentioned, they are Kang Seulgi, Son Seung wan and Bae Joo Huyn. Of course, there are two people are super happy inside because their “crush” is getting it on point.
     The showcase ended with some words by mr Lee. The day after that, Wannabe is preparing to be back on their super crazy schedule for this year. The more famous they have, the more stress they get. Day by day, they are encircled by rumors, envy and loneliness.

P/S from author: Hi, I return with a new chapter. From the next chapter, I will fast forward to another year and starting to focus on some other girl group and love relationships as well. I hope you all can enjoy it. And like previous update, I will post my own photoshopped image for Wannabe's style in their concert. See you all soon!