Chapter 14

Destiny

WA entertainment, February 2012
It’s already 1 am, the only person inside the room pretends not to know that and keeps listening to the loud music. She needs to concentrate on the beats in order to go smoothly with the flow. She used to not have any idea about rapping or anything related to that, however she has to learn it as fast as possible. She agreed with the CEO’s idea and already brainwashed herself just to make her dreams come true. Now she can only pray that this is the right path and one day she can grow up as an artist that people admire. 
Ever since the group’s members were decided, Moon Buyl Yi has been practicing continuously in rapping. At first, she didn’t tell others about her conversation with CEO and his conditions before choosing her. But she still remembers clearly that her members found out almost right away when they noticed what she practiced after. They were very angry at that idea, especially Wheein – the girl who is like her real sister. That kid even wanted to give up everything to be able to have a proper conversation with their CEO. Moon Buyl needed to persuade her for almost a week before she calmed down and agreed to gives it a chance. She is always thankful for them even though they are not her siblings and have known each other for only a year, they are very special to her already. Therefore she can’t let them down, they need to receive good results at the next review before going to US to meet some people that Mr Do contacted. He said it will be a good experience for them in the future, therefore they need to make it happen.
Actually Moon Buyl can’t think about anything right now. She needs writing some lyrics to prepare for the review as soon as possible though. She just writes and erases, keeps repeating those actions several times before another person comes in.
Yong Sun just finished practicing singing, she went out to buy some late snacks at the nearby store. She brought back those things and went straight into musical room. As expected, Buyl Yi is still here. She knows how hard their “rapper” is practicing these days. She has been using about 3 times more effort than before in order to learn from the basic. All of them know how hard it must be for her to decide, she gave up not only for herself but also for all of them. Therefore everyone always tries to help her out and make sure that she is fine. 
When Moon Buyl realizes who comes, she just puts on a smile and receive foodstuffs in the other’s hands.
“Why do you come here at this hour? You should go home and take a rest.”
“So you should too. If you are too hardworking, we will feel very ashamed of ourselves. How can we take a good rest?”
Moon Buyl just smile since she knows the older is just kidding to make her feel better. “Oh I’m sorry, I don’t know. I will try to improve faster so that all of us can get a good rest, okay?”
“Ok. For the sake of us, I will be your instructor again tonight, call me teacher please.” The older starts preparing to “teach” as soon as she finishes which makes the other laugh out loud. Actually it somehow is true since she helped her a lot, however she still looks a bit stupid and funny. With the unexpected help from Yong Sun, Moon Buyl can finish her “mission” faster. “As expected, it’s better than being alone” – she thought to herself when going back to their dorm.

Singapore, Wannabe – Y concert press conference, March 9
The MC starts the conference by calming down the audiences. There are about two times more people than they expect, therefore they need more security to support. Even though there are only two members, the number of fans come are a lot much more than other group he has ever seen. “They are really super stars here”.
The event starts later than expected about 45 minutes. The MC asks them all the questions prepared and it goes smoothly. In order to thank fans that come, the managers decided to give their fans a chance to talk to their idol. This is the last corner, they will choose 2 people and answer their questions as well as giving them a small gift. A lot of people are raising their hands, and the MC choose one randomly. However, unknown to himself, the question is the “disaster” for him because SM already forbidden it beforehand.
“Oppa, I really like Wannabe – Y as well as Wannabe as a group. All of us are very excited when hearing that you are coming back. But to be honest, We don’t know what happened and who is trustworthy, so can you give us a proper answer? What happened to Kim Taeng oppa before? Is it because of you boycotting him like the rumors?”
Not only fans but also the MC are very surprised, he doesn’t know what to do to cover that. His mond gone blank and he just thought to himself: “I will be criticized for sure. What should I do?”
Among the noise from people in the crowd, suddenly they heard a familiar voice starts talking gradually which grabs their attention right away. It’s Kwon Yul, he is holding micro and answering the question. 
“Firstly, we are very sorry for making all of you worried and sad. I can use my life to swear that it was not because of boycotting or anything like that, it’s a false rumor for sure. Actually me and other members are hesitating a lot whether we should say it or not. I think today is the right time for it, so thanks again for your question.” He stops for a while before continuing, they can see that he starts choking: “Taeng is always Wannabe’s leader no matter what will happen. We haven’t seen him since then, even not a calls, it’s like he disappeared completely. However we know that he will comeback one day because we are family. Through this event, I want to tell him something in behalf of our members too. Taengoo ah, today is your birthday, I wish you all the best. We are sorry for not noticing your problems sooner. We will be waiting for you so you have to comeback to us again. Please be healthy no matter where you are now. Today’s concert is the last of our subunit’s tour anyway, so we will try our best in order to make you proud. We miss you… a lot”
The atmosphere is very quiet, as if everyone is holding their breath and listening to him carefully, even when he finishes his sentence, no words can be heard around. 
The MC tries to wrap it up as soon as possible when receiving signal from the manager. 
Almost right away, all of the newspapers online not only in Korea but also in other country have their headlines using Kwon Yul statements. 
At the waiting room after the press conference
Two of them just keep silent after coming back. All the staff don’t saying anything. It lasts for several minutes before the manager comes in to tell them briefly about their schedules.
“I just received information about your schedule this week. It is adjusted a bit, after finishing this concert, you two will have 2 days off. After that, Yoong will film a CF for 2 days, Yul will have a shooting for a magazine in Friday. After that you are free until next week. And the schedule to attend the monthly review in SM is also cancelled. Any problems?”
“Free? Are you sure that we are free? I think you should say free under company’s control.”
The manager is knitting his brows after the comments from Im Yoon, he is not pleased with that, of course. “I know you are not a normal person, both on and off stage, however you should remain a cold hearted in this industry, Im Yoon. Don’t act like a little child anymore.”
Suddenly, Im Yoon laughs loudly which surprise everyone in the room. “Of course I know where I am. I just want to correct your statement, it’s nothing more. I know it’s not just because of the press conference a while ago, the CEO is using his power to warn us about our comeback project and our relationship with some of the trainees, isn’t it?”
Kwon Yul is just sitting down and observing the whole time. When things are complex, he gives his younger brother a signal to make him calm down. “It’s ok. He is just a bit tired so just let it go this time. Now we need to prepare for the concert, so do you mind going out for now?” 
“Ok. I hope you two remember your schedule clearly.”
After the manager walks out, the room is back as silent again. It remains like that until 1 hour before the concert.

Two of them ends their concert well as promised. The audiences seem to be more enthusiastic than before too. Yul and Yoon go back to Korea right after the concert to prepare for their drama filming in the next day. They return to their work as plans. SM entertainment also keeps silent all the time and refuse to telling more information about Kim Taeng and Wannabes.
LA, March 9, 2012 at Kim’s family house 
They are busy to prepare a small birthday party for his son. There are only family members and two best friends of Taeng, or David – the name people use to call him here.
“Everything is ready, come here David. We will start the party now.” – His dad calls him.
Everyone is gathering one by one, they start singing happy birthday and gives him presents they prepared. They are chatting, laughing happily while eating. That’s the reason why Taeng likes what he has now, a comfortable and peaceful life with his family and friends around. 
When they are sitting around and watching TV, Mark suggests that they should sing some songs since he is very excited. In order to celebrate, Taeng also takes part in singing a song, he choose “Just the way you are” of Bruno Mars. He sings it excitedly which makes everyone sing along happily. 
At the end of the party, Mark remembers something and asks David when there are only two of them: “Hey, David. Do you think about attending the event my father will hold next month? My father really wants you to attend, it’s not public so you don’t have to be worry. There are some people who experts in composing music too so it can be a good chance for you to become a precessional producer.”
Mr and mrs Kim also heard about Mark’s recommendation. However since he waked up from the coma, they don’t want him to be involved in music too much again. It’s like a trauma since they afraid that he can be hurt again, both physically and mentally. They just want him to be happy like how he is now, not like an idol who has too much pressure in front of public. Even though they know that it’s selfish, they are just a normal parent worried about his son.
David knows and doesn’t want his parents to worry anymore so he just said he would consider it. At the same time, Mark is his friend and he doesn’t want to disappoint him.
When he just waked up, David used to try to remember everything without letting anyone know. However later, he gradually thinks that those memories may contain some of the bad experience - one of the reasons why he is sick badly. Therefore he decided to let it be with the thought that it will comeback anytime soon. He is just going on with life and doing what he wants. In addition, his parent and brother have never told him details about his career or anything related to it, it seems that they don’t want him to remember those kind of things.
After conversation with Mark, David is hesitating and keep silent for a while. With Mark’s persuasion, he finally agrees to his request. He will sing one of his song he wrote recently even though he feels that it’s incomplete. 
That night, after all of his friends went home, he sits down with his older brother for a short conversation. 
“Happy birthday again, my dongsaeng. I really like when it’s only two of us because I can call you comfortable like how I used to call.”
“You can just be comfortable with me anytime you want. No one knows me here though.”
“You know something right? So why do you still keep silent?”
Looking at his brother’s eyes, Taeng answers honestly: “I don’t remember anything, the only thing I know is that I was a singer in Korea, that’s why mother afraid of me being recognized and we are still living here instead of coming back to Korea. I accidentally heard it when I went home early some days ago. However, I don’t search anything online to find information, so you don’t have to be worry. I believe if it’s fate, I will remember one day.”
“Actually those time for you was not the worst. You were happy too. But it was also hard for you because you had to be careful about your actions everyday. We are just worried. But you can do whatever you want, we will accept it. I will persuade our parents, don’t worry. I always believe you”.
“I know. This time, I just want to help Mark since he is my friend and his father always be nice to me too. In addition, it can be a good chance for me to work with other producers. I will be alright.” He stops for a second before continuing with a playful expression: “Now should we change the subject and talk about you? When will you take your girlfriend home?”
“What? Girlfriend? I don’t have. If you talk about Anna, she’s just a secretary. I think of her as my colleague.”
“But she likes you and that’s the truth. She’s beautiful and kind. You can give it a chance.”
“No I don’t have that intention now. I am still young. If you think like that, why don’t you worry about yourself too?”
“Ok, ok. I lost. You will meet a lot of beautiful girls anyway so just take your time. Now I think that It’s getting cold, we should come in now.”
“Ok, let’s come in now”.

SM entertainment, meeting room 
“Today, we will discuss about our idol group including plan for upcoming new group this year. I already provide you a document with detail information. I hope that you can go through that first and I will explain about some points later.” Kim Young Min – CEO of SM entertainment talked in front of stock holders before giving them some minutes to read the documents.
After keeping silent for around 15 minutes, one of the stakeholders talk out loud: “I already read it, however I want to ask how about Wannabe? I only see plan for them as individuals, but Wannabe as a group is the best when it comes to profit and reputation. As you can see, the subunit with only two members already outsold almost every group right now. Even when we debut new group and they become famous, we still need group which is stable and are known widely.”
Mr Kim knows beforehand that they will ask about this. Therefore, he just tell them what he prepared beforehand: “Actually we always have plan for them, you should wait for a bit since we need to discuss more with them. They are having a lot of personal projects right now and we are waiting for it to end. In addition we are looking for producers outside as well as new member if possible. We are sure that they will comeback but it’s not fixed, so we don’t include it in the future plan.” When he sees others nodding their heads, he knows that they are satisfying. He continues: “Now, please pay attention to our grand new project, the boy group that expected to be on top and brings back the Hallyu waves for us, please look at the second part of the documents...”
After the meeting ends, mr Kim calls for a emergency meeting immediately with marketing and producing team in order to ask them to look for new musicians and songs, which are for Wannabe comeback. He will make them comeback this year for sure even when they don’t agree. The results from subunit is too good and the company needs more than that.
Ever since the beginning of 2012, the CEO finds all ways to “force” them to work. They even starts to tell them to comeback as Wannabe without their leader. He said if they didn’t agree, he would tell people that Kim Taeng gave up on being a singer and Wannabe would officially continue with only 4 members. That will make Kim Taeng to become a bad person and they still have to comeback as “usual”. Actually they know themselves that they have been delaying it for so long, however they are still working for them except for comeback officially as full group. But now it seems that they can’t runaway anymore.

2012 April, LA
Today is the day David will attend small party held by Mark’s dad, exactly his dad company. Mark’s dad wants to cooperate with people from entertainment industry so he invites some talented musicians. He really likes David because his son starts to be less naughty ever since meeting him. He used to request for David to be a singer and he will support him. However David rejected it since he didn’t want to bother him.
Yesterday David or exactly Kim Taeng heard that there would be some other people performing too. It’s likely a test and a meeting at the same time. David believes in himself as a singer, he can wrap up nicely with one song he wrote and one song covering Bruno Mars’s. 
In order to prepare for the party, David came to Mark’s house 2 hours earlier than expected, after rehearsal for the first time, he received a lot of compliments, especially from Mark and his family. 
“I already told you to debut as a singer, I will support you though.” – Mark’s father, Daniel said while clapping his hands.
“Thank you so much. I am not ready to become celebrity, it’s good that you like this song.” – David answers with a smile. 
“It’s too regretful, you are very handsome. A lot of girls will fall for you.”
The atmosphere is very comfortable until the guests come. Mr Daniel has to go out and greet them, he brings Mark along since he will have to get used to it one day. Kim Taeng lays down in the room alone wearing his headphones. He wants to rest a bit before performing.
At the same time, mr Kim already arrived along with his newly formed group. He just greeted Mark’s father before asking for the waiting room in order to get his girls prepare. He told 4 girls to get ready to perform since he needs to talk to a lot of investors here. Listening to their CEO, the group is talking while heading to the room following the housemaid.
“Ah, I hope we will do well this time” – the youngest Hye Jin said with a smile, even though it’s obviously she is nervous right now. 
“We have to do well exactly. We can do it, don’t worry.” – Their temporary leader is lifting their moods with her words.
In other sides, Buyl Yi notices that Wheein is not feeling well, she gets closer to her and asking: “Are you okay, Wheein ah? Don’t worry, you won’t repeat the same mistakes again. Your stage fright already got better a while ago, just relax and doing like how we practiced.” The determination in the other’s eyes makes Wheein feel comfortable for sure. Unknowingly they reach the rest room and step in thinking they are the only one in that area. 
Yong Sun comes in first, she goes straight to the sofa to get some rest. After a minute, the remaining three members heard a high-pitched scream, Yong Sun is running out with a surprised face. 
“What’s wrong, unnie? Are you ok?”
“There… there is someone inside. I’m gonna sit and change my clothes, but I think I sit on someone in the sofa. That person was covered by blanket so I don’t know since there isn’t any sound when I come in”
At the same time, David is half asleep while listening to music. He lays in the sofa without realizing someone is coming. However as soon as hearing a girl’s scream, he gets up right away and takes out his earphone. “How stupid I am. I forgot they have other guests. She must have been frightened.” When he is about to come out, he heard her conversation with friends: “They are Korean too. It maybe easier to talk to them if I use Korean.”
David did what he thinks, he fixes himself before coming out using Korean: “Hello. I’m David. I just felt asleep without realizing, I am very sorry if I scared you.” He said while lowering his head, just then he looks up with a smile on his face. Unlike what he expected, as soon as they see him, they are very surprised as well as looking straight at him. “I didn’t commit any crimes, why do I feel so nervous” – Thinking like that, he tries to be as calm as possible and start the conversation again: “Well, I am a Korean too. And I really like singing so I am here to sing as a guest. I am sorry for being rude. But I don’t think that I am strange enough to receive that kind of look.”
Meanwhile all the girls are staring at him since the moment he came out. They are even more shocked than before when they saw his face. Only after realizing their rudeness, they start to look at different directions. “Wait. Are… Are you…?” Hye Jin cannot finish her sentence because she stops as soon as she feels something holding onto her arms. She knows her friend doesn’t want her to say anything right now, but he looks the same as Taeng oppa. No, she is sure that it’s him. She is confusing and looking at her best friend beside. Wheein is just as shocked as her, however she still keeps calm and speak on behalf of others: “It’s okay, we are just a little surprised since we don’t know that there are people here. I am sorry if we disturbed you.”
The small girl catches David’s attention. He has a strange feeling while looking at her. She just seems familiar to him even though he doesn’t know why. Because of the awkwardness, he doesn’t talk about his curiosity, instead he just replies simply: “It’s okay, it’s my mistake anyway. I think you all will need to use this room so I’d better go out now. I should meet my friends outside, they must be waiting for me. Nice to meet you all. Let’s see later.”
David walks out of the room without waiting for other’s reply. He grabs his bag and go straight to Mark’s room.
The girls are still looking at him until he disappears. They can’t believe what they just saw, exactly who they just met, especially Wheein. 
“Why does he pretend not to know us? He’s very strange. Is he having a serious problems that cannot let anyone know? It must be something similar, right Wheein?”
“Ah uhm, I think so. I just have a feeling that he really doesn’t know us, it doesn’t look like he pretended. Maybe it’s just someone who looks like him.” 
“What? It is him for sure. It’s not look alike, it’s the same. Why do you not let me ask him earlier? We might know why.”
“We are not here for those kind of things. We don’t even know who is he. We should just keep silent.”
“Why? I think at least you will want to know. You two are quite close until the day he disappeared. I almost thought you two are a couple.”
“Wh..What? No, we were just friends. And I don’t want to get into any troubles here.”
Watching the 2 younger girl talking, the other just understand a little bit, however they just stand still and don’t ask any further. 

At the same time, after walking out of the room, David is still wondering who that girl is, the look in her eyes mean that she may know him before, but she didn’t say or ask anything. “If she used to be close to me, why didn’t she say anything?”.