13 - Chapter 13

Destiny

February 2011, SM entertainment, practice room 
In the middle of the room, one small person keeps dancing to the loud music. Sweat can be seen all over her face which means she has been doing this for hours. 
Hearing the phone ring for the third time, she finally turns off music and picks it up:
“Yes, mommy.
No, I’m okay, it’s just that I am too busy, I am having classes you know. Yes, I will try to go home as soon as possible. Ok, take care, bye bye mom”.
Seulgi lets out a long sign, she doesn’t want her family to be worried anymore. She did tell them about her worrisome, however, they only know that she is having a hard time. To be more accurate, she doesn’t let them know details. 
Sitting to rest for a while, Seulgi recalled the conversation with her teacher last week:
“Seulgi ah, what happened to you these days? Do you know this is the very important time? You need to concentrate more. How can you not sing just a normal song? Your voice is shaking too much, and it is getting more serious day by day.”
“I’m sorry, I will try my best. I .. I am sure it will be alright soon”
Hee Yeon – the teacher who first met Seulgi 4 years ago is observing the small girl. Seeing her shoulders start shaking lightly, Hee Yeon just get closer and give her a hug. The teacher pats her back lightly, knowing what her student is going through now. 
“I know it’s hard for you, especially after seeing a lot of your friends gave up. However, you can’t overwork yourself, it will only get worse. Just rest for some days and it will be alright soon. If you really don’t change your mind about being a singer, you can come to me, I will help you, okay?”
After receiving a little nod from the other, Hee Yeon suddenly realizes that she has another meeting. After making sure that Seulgi can go home alone, Hee Yeon gets out of the room. “Why those talented child have too much problems these days?” – Hee Yeon’s thinking while going to meet someone who has similar problems.

Comeback to reality
Seulgi is lost in her thoughts without realizing that there is a person outside who has been watching her for a while. That person is just standing there for almost 45 minutes before heading out.
Kwon Yul is holding two cups of hot chocolate in his hands while going inside SM building again. It’s almost 10:30 pm, therefore it’s very quiet. He has been being here at this time everyday for almost a month in order to practice singing and dancing skills. He just saw Seulgi practicing an hour ago, remembering that Hee Yeon nuna told him about her problems last week, he thinks that she also needs some advice from friend.
Stopping right in front of the door, Kwon Yul hesitates for a minute before going in: “I don’t think you can perfect your dancing skills faster if you’re here all night. There’s something calls overworking, do you know that?” Slowly approaching her with a cup of chocolate, Kwon Yul is trying to be as natural as possible. 
Hearing the voice is getting nearer, Seulgi slowly turns her head and immediately gets up to greet him when she realizes who is coming. “Hello, Yul senior. I don’t know that there are still people around since it’s quite late.”
“Oh, it’s good that you still know that. Since we are the only hardworking people at this hour, I think we deserve to have some time to rest and drink a cup of hot chocolate, don’t we?”
“Ah, thank you so much, senior”. Receiving the drink from him, Seulgi has not said anything after that, feeling the atmosphere is getting more and more awkward.
Seeing her being uncomfortable, Yul tries to change the mood a bit: “Actually I have been watching you dancing for a while before deciding to come in. I think you dance perfectly, however it lacks “the soul”. You are too soulless while doing that just like your soul is in somewhere else. I hope you don’t think that I am a meddler.”
“No, how dare I to think like that? I think I should go in order not to disturb you anymore. I will get going now. Goodbye Yul senior”
“Do you know why I am still here at this hour?” Seulgi stops moving when hearing that. He continues: “Truthfully, I can’t meet others since I can’t sing even a simple song. I need to learn from the basic, starting from children’s songs. What a joke right? A singer who was lead vocalist of Wannabe now is in trouble. I am too ashamed of myself.”
Seulgi is very surprised to hearing that from Yul – one of seniors that she respects the most. He is somehow likes her, which makes her want to listen a bit more. As if he knows what she is thinking, he continues: “After Wannabe temporarily ceases activity, I start to having stage fright, every time I stand in the stage, my voice won’t come out. Hee Yeon teacher told me that I am like a scared cat, which is so unlike me. It’s just because when I think back, I have to admit that I am not good, I am too selfish to realize that my best friend had problems. I isolated myself from the world until a month ago, I received a message from Taeng. He prepared it just like he knew before that I will be like that. Because of him, because of us, I have to force myself to stand up again. In your case, it might come from different reasons, however I think that the pressure you are facing is the same as me. I just want to tell you my story so that you know a lot of people have problems like you. Therefore, you can fix it as time goes on.”
Seulgi is clenched her first tightly, forcing herself to be conscious. She doesn’t want to be weak in front of others, at least not now. 
“It’s getting late, you should go home with my manager since I still need to practice more. And one more thing: I’d be very glad to have someone to help with homework from Ms Hee Yeon. She’s too passionate you know.” Yul gives Seulgi a smile before saying goodbye, “I have to go now, good night Seulgi ah. Just let yourself free and you will be fine soon”.
After Yul left, Seulgi just standstill for a while until the manager comes and calls her. She just goes to dorm with him without thinking anything.
During that night, finally, first time in a while, two people can let their mind free and get some good sleep.

Another day at SM building 
Today Im Yoon went to the company as usual to “practice”. He always chooses the time when others already go home so that he won’t have to meet anyone. Recently, Wannabe members were called to the CEO room and had a talk with mr Lee So Man and Kim Young Min. They were told to get on track as soon as possible, because they are still singers under the Company. After a long conversation, the only thing they have to remember are: Firstly, no one knows where Taeng huyng is and how is his condition, we won’t know whether he comes back or not. Secondly, we have to start to active again, we may not come back as Wannabe but as sub unit and personal activities.
Im Yoon and Kwon Yul are chosen to be in a sub unit together and will have a comeback during the second half of this year. It doesn’t matter if they are ready or not, cause it’s their “duty”.
As normal, Im Yoon starts practicing alone. He finishes repeating the lyrics and choreography about 10 times before getting some rest. He also plays piano as usual to relax, which has been his habit for 2 years. 
10:30 pm, a shadow of a young girl is walking slowly to the room where Yoon is. She seems like a person who comes here often, stay quietly and listen to the melody from the piano inside. She likes this peaceful atmosphere after a tiring day, therefore she almost comes right away after hearing familiar sound. 
“Thank you for being my only audience again, ms Joo Huyn. Now can you just come in? I’m a bit easy to be scared you know, especially at this hour”
The statement finally succeeded in making the girl smile. She comes in with a comfortable expression, looking at the person inside: “I thought you stopped this habit, however you seem still like playing alone.”
“It’s a good habit right? I just want to keep it. You are still practicing at this hour, aren’t you? Are you here alone again?”
“I need to improve more, I just can’t bother Seulgi every time, lately she has had her own problems too. We are practicing separately these days, even though we usually go home together.”
“It’s still dangerous for two of you going home at this hour”
“We live near here, only take about 10 minutes walking from here.”
Im Yoon is not persuaded by that reason however he changes the subject in order not to make her uncomfortable:
“So what are you practicing? The monthly review just passed, you just need to rest.”
“I don’t know anymore, both singing and dancing maybe? I just feel I need to put more effort in this”
Seeing some unclear expressions, Yoong somehow just want to help her out: “Okay. Because you are the only person that listens to me for a long time, I will help you to practice as a thankful present. At least in dancing I am not bad.”
“Really? Thank you but at this hour I don’t think it’s a good idea. In addition if someone sees us we will be in trouble for sure.”
“Ah, don’t worry, I won’t have time to come here often anymore. I will have a lot of activities soon. I hope we can still be friends in the future, therefore just get up now.”
With that sentence these two have fun in dancing and playing, making the room to be filled with happiness.

WA entertainment
Yesterday the manager asked all the trainees to gather today in order to listen to the Company’s future plan. Because of the increase in accrued expenditures for training, it seems that they need a lot of changes to maintain.
After counting all the trainees in the room, the middle-aged man starts talking, grabs all attention on him: “Today I’d like to tell all of you about upcoming project. We will start eliminating trainees based on results monthly in order to choose a group who are ready to debut next year. In addition, new trainees will be added frequently to make sure that our first group will be as best as possible. I already contacted some people and arranged new project for this group with help from foreign musicians. From now on, I and managers here will evaluate your efforts every month until the end of this year. We will make final decision by then. Please take note and try your best. Thank you”.
After finishing his speech, mr Kim gets out and leave all the trainees some time to think about the sudden news.
Wheein and HyeJin are sitting in the corner, with the most comfortable expression compared to others. It’s not because they are confident about themselves, it’s just they are not as ambitious as most of people here. 
“In your opinion, what will happen in the next year?”
“We are still singing and dancing, that’s the only thing I know”
“Oh, as expected my friend, you have the same thought like me. By the way, we already know how to feel when we were “kicked out of that company”
“Aigoo, our Wheeinie is worried again?  That’s just unlucky. Ah and you know the newbie  who just come right? You two seems close”
“You are talking about Buyl Yi unnie? Yes we know each other before. She’s cool. I think you two can get along with other well.”
“Really? Let’s hope that will happen”
After chatting for about 30 minutes, the two friends are coming back to practice with others, starting to prepare for their upcoming first elimination.

LA, America, inside a hospital 
“Doctor, when will my little brother get up? He has been being like this for almost 4 months, we are very worried.”
“All the results are normal up until now. However as I said before, it’s not a normal surgery, therefore I can’t tell you if he could wake up or when he would wake up. I promise that I will try my best, don’t worry too much. Even though I only know him for a short time, I am sure that he is a strong person. It will be fine.”
“Actually I don’t know how long my parents can endure this. We already prepare our mind beforehand but … You know, it’s hard for all of us”.
“I know, we hope that he can wake up soon too, I will watch him carefully and tell you everything, so please wait patiently”.
After getting out of the professor’s room, Ji Woong feels disappointed to the result, it is still the same for 4 months. Looking at his little brother lays in the hospital bed, he can’t help but bursting into tears. “What did we do wrong for this happened? At least my Taengoo doesn’t deserve to be like this, please give him back to us.” 
It has been 4 months since Kim Taeng received the treatment, to be more accurate, since he received surgery. He has yet waken up. The doctor said that there are two possibilities: he can wake up at any time, or never wake up anymore. His family moved to the US without telling anyone in order to take care of him and make sure no one can find out since he is a celebrity. Ji Woong continues working at a company while his father found some jobs to help. They need to establish a new home and life here until they make sure that everything is ok. “Taengoo ah, it’s time for you to wake up, isn’t it? We really miss you”

The preparation is done, Wannabe’s new sub unit is announced and expected to debut in August 2011. This unit consists of two members: Kwon Yul and Im Yoon. Other members will start to rejoin the industry by participating in variety and drama as well. However Wannabe’s comeback as a full group has not been decided up until now. General public and fans give different opinions on the news: There are people who are happy and supportive, some are just nonchalant or suspicious of their ability, some just hate the fact that they come back as duo. When the pressure is at the highest, Wannabe proves that they can explode in whatever they do, even if they don’t have their fullest members.  Wannabe Y is the name of this sub unit, in which “Y” represents name of members as well as the name of the title in Korean. Mini album Why (which is called Keep your head down in English) top every music charts both in digital and physical. The results are too good that makes people jokes around, saying: “They can be a bomb with just 2/5 members”.

October 2011, almost 2 months after sub unit was revealed, Yul and Yoon have the first talk show in year, in which the host is Yoo Jae Suk senior. For the first time after that day, they finally can talk about their struggles and the reasons behind. The only thing they can promise is that they will comeback as Wannabe only if 5 of them are together. The headlines are focused on them again, with 4 of them are the stars waiting for their final piece.

February 2012, 
Los Angeles 
“Daniel, be careful please, and remember to go home soon, we will have a small party with neighbors”
“Yes, mom. I am totally fine, so stop looking after me like a 5-year old-kid.”
Seeing her son going out and being happy, the mother finally can take a deep breath, “Of course I have to keep my eyes on you, you are the person who had been sleeping for 6 months, I can’t let it happen again, even in my dreams”.
Everyday, Daniel Kim goes to music academy at a university, learning guitar, singing and even dancing. He just likes it without any specific reason. He lost his memories after the surgery, only remember things happened before he was 13 years old. Sometimes he thinks it’s good since there may be a lot of bad things he needs to forget, however sometimes it feels like very empty since he doesn’t what happened. He just learned to accept the reality and is satisfied with his life right now.

SM entertainment, somewhere in the rooftop 
Kwon Yul is walking around the building after discussing about performances for Wannabe Y’s first tour. He just accepted a main role in a drama as well, therefore it will be very busy again. The drama that his fellow member Choi Soo participated in was quite successful, Lee Sun still gives his all in varieties and radio DJ. He and the youngest are working hard in music before returning to individual circle. No one can deny their success in returning now, however they still fell incomplete. 
Without realizing, Yul reaches the rooftops. He can feel the wind blowing and the fresh air around, unlike the busy city down there: “How comfortable”. Walking closer to the corner, he sees a small figure looking up the sky, seems like that person is enjoying this as much as him right now. That person gives him a very familiar feeling, “It really looks like her” – He thought and got closer. When their distance is enough to see, he is quite happy to see her after a long time,  nowadays he is too busy to come here, so there’s no chance to see her either. “You are really still the same, a girl who doesn’t fear anything. It’s very late and you are still here alone”
Without turning her head, the girl already knows who is coming, she just replies immediately: ”At least I think staying here is safer since anyone who can get in at this hour needs ID.”
Yul is already standing beside that person, watching the night view and waiting for her to continue. “Congratulations oppa. Your comeback is very successful, you finally get up back as a superstar again.”
“You also deserves to receive my congratulations, I heard that at the recent review, Kang Seulgi finally comes back to her senses and get an excellent points in both dancing and singing. You won over your slump too”
“Thank God that I can make it after almost 6 months. Thank you very much oppa for helping me out. You are like my teacher every time we met at practice room.”
“I just help myself though. I am the one who should be thankful for having a friend during those time. You are more comfortable now than before right?”
“Yes. I guess I finally can wait for my future more calmly. As you said before, the longer I practice, the more confidence I get when I am on the stage. So I will think of it as my lucky rather than unlucky.”
“That’s right. I am very happy to hear that you already understand that. Maybe I don’t have time to talk to you like this in upcoming months, however I hope you can just go on like this, and don’t worry, the longest trainees period I have seen is 7 years. As long as you haven’t reached that number, you can be comfortable and waiting for your debut” Yul ends his statement with the most sincere and warm smile which makes the other’s heart flutter. At that time both of them are having different emotions about each other, however they both know it’s not the right time for things like that, therefore they seem to wait for the chance to come. But time will not wait for anyone, if you skip it, it may never comeback again. No one knows that when they decide to wait, they almost lose each other in the future.

WA entertainment 
Kim Do Hoon – CEO’s room 
The managers all gather around to give their final decision on the members of the very first group. Before deciding, mr Kim goes through his plan for upcoming training schedule: “I already contacted my friend in American, I will give this group a chance to exchange some experience beforehand. They are all excellent students so I think it’s a useful time for all of them. In addition, I will produce their very first album and will finish by the end of 2013. Therefore they will debut in the 1st half of 2014. Now I want all of you give me your own opinion about who should be chosen.”
After almost 5 hours, they finally make a decision, 3 members was chosen for sure, the remaining member will be pick depending on her decision. 
Kim Do Hoon asks for a meeting with Moon Buyl Yi, one of the trainees to discuss further. The company wants her to debut as a rapper of new group since that position is a must. However he knows what she wants, since the first day she comes here, she is always considered as a vocal. It may hurt her, may leave a big scar in her heart, but he wants to give her a chance and hope that she can understand 1 step back, 2 steps forward. Kim Do Hoon uses all his experience and knowledge to persuade her, and let het think for 2 weeks. 

LA, music academy 
Today is the day that the ceremony is held, where everyone tries to prove their talent to experts, if lucky enough, they can even become a singer officially. Daniel comes with his friends to enjoy this festival and listen to the music around. 
“Hey, how about going to my house after this? No one is home and we can open a party all night” – Mark said excitedly while waiting for response from others.
“Oh I don’t like those things, you already know. In addition I need to go home before 11 pm so that my parents won’t get worried. I am not the rich kids like you, always happy and free.”
“Daniel is right. I don’t like it either. You should just call all your girlfriends and start a party. It’d be the most exciting party ever” – John ends with a smirk, he gave Mark a wink which make the other shiver. 
“No no no. I will be in a big trouble if I call them. Thinking of it and I already have nightmares for sure. Let’s talk about other stuff. Daniel why don’t you join this festival? I heard you give one of your song to other in this competition. It’d be very nice if you sing it.”
“I just don’t want to be in front of too many people. I like myself now, I can sell songs and get money, at the same time I can have free time for myself. It’d better not to have any troubles”
“Still, you should consider appearing in the festival which will be held in 3 months. It will only have some people, not publicly. Ah one more thing, I really want to call you by your Korean name. It sounds so cute. I can’t call it when we are in your house. Now can I? You have the best Korean names among us anyway”
“Ok. I got it. You can call me by that but only when there’s 3 of us. My family don’t want more people to know that, understand?”
“Of course, I always by your side, our Taengoo” After calling that name, Mark laughs out loud, as if he has everything in this world. That laugh also makes others smile, they smile together while walking closer to the stage and enjoy their weekend.