Chapter 11

Destiny

31 December 2009, MBC gayo daejun

“2 minutes before New year’s eve, Wannabe’s Kim Taeng shi, do you have anything to say?”

“I just want everyone including our members, family, fans and others can be happy and healthy, wishing that 2010 will be great year for all of us too. Thank you”

“And now we only have 15 seconds before reaching a new year, everyone prepares. 10, 9, 8….1. Happy new year”

Right when the MC says 1, all groups in the stage hug their own members and celebrating, not except for Wannabe. “Happy new year, this is just a start. Let’s go for a long time” They are looking at each other and wishes for a better year coming.

“And now, the 1st stage in 2010, our top star Wannabe. Please give them a big applause”

They start 2010 with a powerful performances like that, with hopes for the best for their tour and new album, moreover for every member is successful in their own too.

 

While going to different countries to finish their 1st Asia tour, Wannabe also attends ceremonies held at the beginning of 2010. All of the best prizes go to them, as expected from company and colleagues. The last one and the most honour awards GDA, the grand prize is Wannabe too. We can say it’s a very memorial year for them to claim their spot in this entertainment world. With that, people’s expectation on them is higher as times goes by. They have to do well, no matter what happens.

 

Meanwhile, other trainees gather around to watch the GDA too. They use their rest time to gather since they are curious about the winners too. When other seniors like SJ, SNSD and especially Wannabe are performing, they become super focused.

“Oh, so cool”- Male trainee 1

“Yes, they are too awesome, too handsome” – Female trainee 1

“They are super friendly too, some even helps us as an instructor” - Male trainee 2

“That’s right. Wish that I can have a boyfriend like that, I will give up everything for him” – Female trainee 2

“Yah, you cannot even become a candidate, stop dreaming. By the way, as far as I know, they are still single, Yul and Yoon oppa meet us several times these days, what if they really have any crush on some one? Seulgi, do you know anything?”

“Huh, no, I don’t know anything. I think they just want to help us to improve faster, as a successful senior”

While they are chatting out loud, the manager appear at the door, as normal with his nagging: “What are you all doing? Why are you not practicing? Remember that the monthly review is coming soon, so stop playing around. Keep paying attention to your weight too, especially girls. And between male and female trainees, don’t meet up regularly, understand?” He continues after receiving nods from others “Moving now immediately, faster!!!”

With that, everyone returns to their daily routine: Practicing and dieting. They are getting used to it since they mostly hear it every day, sometimes, words are harsher, therefore, a number of trainees leave every month.

 

That night, after celebrating, Wannabe returned to dorm at about 4 am, most of them got tipsy and drunk. They are allowed to rest for 3 following days. Every members got a good sleep that night, only wake up during the day after’s afternoon. While Yul and Yoon went to the company in the next day, Taeng went to his home with some presents for family. These other two had variety filming the day after so they just went out for dinner before coming back to dorm.

 

On his way to Jeon Ju, Taeng calls Ki Joon, his friend to meet up since he needs his help. Ki Joon is new excellent student in medical, he knows a lot of doctors while being an internship. Kim Taeng want to have a secret check-up since his headache happens a lot these days. Therefore, he goes to meet Ki Joon at his friend’s house right after meeting parents and giving the presents.

“Taeng, nice to meet you. Congratulation on your Grand Prize” – Ki Joon said and gave him a warm hug.

“Thank you, what about that thing I asked you? Is it ready?”

“Oh, I contact one of my professors, and he agrees to meet you today, about 5pm when it is not crowded”

“Thank you so much, don’t tell anyone especially my family, do you? I don’t want them to be worried”

“Ok, I won’t say anything. Should we eat something before you got checked?”

“Of course. Let’s go out”

That day Kim Taeng got checked with Ki Joon stays by his side. He said he would give him results 2 days later after discussing carefully with the professor. Kim Taeng got home alone and let his mind rest completely without thinking anything.

 

At the same time, SM’s practice room

“Ok, it’s nice to meet all of you. Today we will have a monthly review as usual with special guests to give you some advices for upcoming showcases. You should feel grateful since they are super busy idol these days. Please welcome Wannabe’s Yul and Yoon, SJ’s EunHuyk and KyuHuyn” A round of applause following words from managers,

“Thank you all, please take care of us too”

The tests start with total 5 groups’ performance. These 4 idols give them their honest and objective judgement. Some even got to be guided by them the day after. Their appearances make all female to be in their fantasy, however among those there are two who are just focusing on their work. That is what makes 4 celebrities keeps paying attention to them, since 3 of them know those trainee before “What a hardworking and an interesting girl” – some of them thinking at the same time.

Jeon Ju

During the second day, Kim Taeng keeps thinking about sending a message to So Ha, he wonders if he should end it first. Finally, he decides to ask her to meet when he goes to Seoul this weekend, even only for about 5 minutes. She seems to realize something when she just said yes. “So finally it will end like this”

After dinner, Taeng tells his parents that he wants to go out alone, and then goes for a walk nearby when it’s 8pm. He is starting on writing songs again these days so he needs to get some mood and fresh air outside. When he wants to go back, suddenly his headache starts, gradually becomes worse, he gradually cannot feel or see anything else anymore.

When he wakes up, it is already 10pm and he relizes he is at Wheein’s house somehow. “Are you feeling better now, oppa?”

“Ah, thank you so much. Sorry for this inconvenience. I guess I am too stress these days. By the way, how come I end up here, Wheein ah?”

“I and HyeJin were just on our ways back then we saw something strange from afar. We are getting close and seeing you faint. Since it is near my house, we ask for some help to bring you here first since you are a famous person anyway” Wheein tells him as simple as possible while recalling.

About 2 hours ago

“What do you think about that offer? We are returning to school soon, I am a bit worried”

“We have to give it a try first anyway. We only promised to go on every weekend though, it will be alright. Wait, I think there is something happened over there, we should go to see, come on Wheein ah”

“What? Yah, HyeJin ah, wait. Can you hear me?” “This friend is really….. uncontrollable” – Wheein mumbled to herself.

Getting close to some people gathering near the park, they saw someone fainted and it seems others two people are calling 119 for help. “Taeng oppa?” After recognizing the male fainted, two best friend ask others to bring him home and try to make sure they don’t talk or upload anything now since he is a celebrity.

Returning to reality, Wheein wants to ask him something, but she is hesitating “What if it makes this more awkward?” She keeps touching her hair and seems nervous. Taeng saw this and thinks she is cute at this time, he speaks first to lift up the mood:

“I am ok, it is just I have headache these days, maybe I am just overworking myself too much. Thank you for helping me earlier, and please do me a favor, don’t tell anyone about this, will you?”

“Ah, of course oppa. You don’t have to be worried, I will not say anything. Even though I don’t know what you are facing to, I hope you can overcome that. At least you need to tell what you thought to someone you trust so that it will hurt less. If what I say makes you uncomfortable, then I am sorry”

Kim Taeng got a bit surprise at what he heard from her. He feels her sincere in those words which makes him touching. If a person like her can see that he has problem, it means that got more serious day by day.

He smiles and give her the honest answer “Nowadays, I do have a lot of things going on my mind. I have a girlfriend and now she becomes my ex-girlfriend somehow. My career is going well but the pressure and expectation are too high for me to bear. I need to write new song as soon as possible and preparing for unit debut as well. I cannot protect my members as a leader properly, I know they are tired both mentally and physically, and all I can do is watching and comforting them with words only. Am I too useless?”

Kim Taeng said without hesitating, therefore, his words seems messy. He breaths out as soon as finish, as if some of his burden was gone. At the same time, the other listens carefully to what he said. She looks at him directly, the tiredness was shown on his face clearly, and she is sure that it is not only because of sickness.

“Though I cannot image fully what you said, I can feel it is very hard for you oppa. It’d be better if you think about it in different way, such as you achieved what you want, maybe there are people who are better than you, however there are a lot of people whose life are worse than you too. If you know how to enjoy it a little more or open up more to the person you trust, I know that you will be alright soon, for sure”

Hearing those useful words from person who is 6 years younger than him somehow feel strange. “That’s right, I can do it better” – Taeng’s pov. Just then he tries to change the subject they are talking about: “How about your audition these days? I heard about it from others some time ago but I haven’t had time to ask you then”

“Ah, I guess I still lack skills they need J. Recently, I received offer from small company, me and HyeJin are still discussing about what to do though” Wheein is nervous and shy when talking about her own situation, she even avoids looking at him.

“You can think of me as your friend, an older brother. No need to be that nervous, I am not a tiger or something dangerous, It’s not like I will eat you up or beat you anyway” He ends this joke with his typical smile, brightly. By that way, the two are becoming closer since that day.

Before going back to Seoul, Kim Taeng meets up with his friends a lot more, including Wheein. He gives her good advice for her dream as an senior, she gives him the comfort he needs. Since he cannot receive his check-up result on time, Ki Joon promised to send it to him without telling anyone when it is ready.

The first night Taeng is in Seoul, he goes to meet his “ex-girlfriend” at her filming location with the help of her manager. Surprisingly, it is not hard as he thought. He can easily say to her to end their relationship, They both accept it with the most calm way. He looks up at the sky when going out and feel like the sky is clearer, this is just normal, a lot of people will come and go in your life anyways. All we can do is accept it when it happened.