Chapter 15

Destiny

Mark’s house, at the hall outside 
Today, mr Daniel – Mark’s father holds a party, which includes a lot of people related to music. He plans to widen his company to invest in some other industries such as music, movies,…; therefore he needs to “warm up” his connection in order to receive more useful information from them. Even though they are all have a good position now, they are still his close friends. 
“Hello, long time no see. I don’t think I can meet you this time, Min Hoon. You are always busy and we haven’t met for at least 3 years.”
“Oh, that’s my mistake. I am too busy but we usually talk through phone conversation right?  This time because I have business here, I think it’d better to attend your party. Who knows, I may find something or someone interesting here.”
“You are still the professional scouting manager. You come here and don’t forget you are director of SM entertainment. I am so lucky to have you here, mr Jun.” They both look at each other for a second before bursting out to a laugh.
“Ok, ok. That’s enough for us. We are almost 50 years and still act like kids. Ah, I saw you have some special guests. I saw mr Kim Do Hoon and mr Han – one of the producers from YG. It’s such much more bigger party compared to what you told me.”
“We are all friends, aren’t we? It’s good to gather around, talk and enjoy music together. Let’s sit down first, the party will start soon.”
Mark’s father leads all the guests to their seats and then gives a few comments before letting the party start. 
Inside Mark’s room
David is sitting and staring blankly into spaces ever since the meeting earlier. He is having a slight headache, some scenes are flashing through his mind. He saw some familiar locations, he was smiling happily between a lot of people. However he couldn’t see their faces clearly. It hasn’t happened for almost a year, therefore he thinks that it’s related to that meeting, exactly that girl. “Should I ask her? No, it must be rude, we are just meet and I don’t remember anything. What if I am wrong, it will be awkward for two of us. Ah, so hard.” Because of the heavy headache, he cannot move a bit even though he wants to go out and look for some medicines. 
At the same time, Mark is just running away from his father. He comes inside his room and saw his friend is looking for something from medicine chest. “What are you doing, David? Did you hurt yourself?”
Still looking while answering his friend: “Ah, I just have a headache. Do you have some pain relief medicine? Just give me some now.”
“What? Headache? You have not had it for a year. What happened? Ah, just wait for me, I will bring you some medicine now.”
Mark runs out almost right away. He is very worried about his friend, he is fine now but not completely. He asks for some help from his family’s maids and brings back medicine in about 5 minutes. After seeing David take the medicine, Mark is sitting beside him silently for 10 minutes to make sure he is ok before asking: “Are you ok now? Can you tell me what happened? I’m just away for some minutes and you already got into troubles. Please be more careful, your health is not very good though.”
“I know. Can you just calm down? I always be careful, but something happened earlier. I met your father’s guests. They come from Korea and I have a feeling I know one of them. After seeing her, I keep having a headache and seeing some scenes through my head. Those scenes is clearer than before but still not clear enough to help me to remember anything. I just get confused and don’t know what to do.”
“Okay, slow down. So you met a girl and become like this?” Mark suddenly turns into a mischievous smile before continuing: “Maybe it’s not related to your past, it’s just very simple. You like her at the first sight. And as you know, I’m quite professional about it so I can give you an advice. Or you can just tell me who she is and I will help you to find out everything about her.”
“Ah, it’s so useless to talk to you. I am not a player, I don’t fall in love easily either. I am being serious, my intuition tells me that she knew me.”
“Ok, ok. So you are serious and if she really had known you, it would have been a good chance for you to take back your memory, even the doctor said that it’d be the best if you had someone who is close to you before beside your family, it would help you a lot.”
“But I am afraid that I was wrong. And if I was true and I remembered everything, was it good? I don’t want my family to be worry about me anymore, do you understand?”
“You should ask yourself first, David. Do you want it or not? If you want it, just go for it. I am sure they will always be by your side cause they are your family. Just like me and my father, even when I was the bad boy, he still couldn’t abandon me. Otherwise, you are a very very good man, they will never turn your back on you. Don’t worry. At least you have 2 votes from me and John.” 
Daniel has to admit Mark is not just a playboy anymore. Sometimes, he even needs to look at Mark with different view. “Okay, you are really a man now, Mark. You will become a successful CEO in the near future.”
“Ha ha ha, me? I just like this when it comes to normal life. If it’s business, I find it so complicated. It always gives me headache.”
“I don’t have anything to say to you anymore, you just can’t be serious for more than 5 minutes. Ah, what time is it? The party already started right?”
“Yes, it started 15 minutes ago. But it’s only 7 pm now. You will be the last performer, so there are about 1 hour left. Let’s relax and eat something. I will call someone to bring over some food.” After that, Mark gets out and brings back a lot of things. The two have a happy small dinner before David’s performance.
19:30, at Mark’s house
The next performer is mr Kim’s group. All the girls are getting ready to go on stage. They come up with both nervousness and confidence. David is watching them from the backstages. He is excited to see them without any specific reasons. 
They are performing very well and receive a round of applause from audiences there. Even David and Mark are quite surprised that they did so well. “They are talent singers for sure.” is what David thinks at that moment.
When the girls come back to backstage, they met David again. Even though he wants to talk to “her”, it’s his turn next so he is just nodding while Mark is giving them a lot of compliments:’”Wow, so impressive. You guys are the best and I am sure that you all will become a bright stars very soon.” The girls just say thanks and receiving those compliments with a shy smile. 
Outside, the MC already started to introduce the next performance which leads to everyone’s attention: “The next and last performer today is the young man who mr Daniel likes the most. He personally told me that and always show a lot of affection for this person. Now, I will proudly introduce to you, mr David – one of the best students at LA music academy, please give a big round of applause.”
Just then, David comes out with a guitar. He starts singing a song he wrote recently and continuing to cover some songs from Bruno Mars.
As soon as the audiences see his face, there are a lot of people who feels familiar, especially the two directors and producers from SM and YG. “Kim Taeng? Why is he here? Or that is just someone who looks like him? No I am sure, I had already had met him a lot of times at SM, I can’t get it wrong. I need to find about this.” – mr Jun Min Hoon thought to himself while watching the performance. Meanwhile, the producer from YG – mr Han also has the same kind of thought, he will try to find out everything later. 
Because Kim Taeng was very famous in Korea, a lot of people here recognize him, however they keeps the curiosity to themselves since he was introduced as different person earlier.
At the backstage, 5 people including Mark, Yong Sun, Moon Buyl Yi, Wheein and HyeJin are watching him closely. 
Unconsciously, Wheein mumbles which makes Mark to pay attention to her: “He is even better than before, it’s so good and luck that he looks healthier than before.” They all went back to the waiting room right before David ends his performance. Meanwhile Mark is looking at them for a while until they disappeared from his sight.
When David finished his performance, audiences gave him a very big round of applause. Mark then told him what he heard from Wheein when David goes back to his room. At that moment, David decided to talk to her before it’s too late. He asks for help from Mark to have some minutes alone with her. Mark just uses his father connection to help his best friend.
Last night, at Mark’s house, the two have a private conversation while everyone else is still enjoying the party:
“Uhm, I know it’s quite awkward because there’s only two of us. I think I should introduce myself first, even though you may know me already. My name is David, and my Korean name is Kim Taeng. It’s nice to meet you. Can I know your name?”
“Ah, my… my name is Wheein, Jung Wheein. It’s nice to meet you too.”
“Oh, that’s a nice name. And your performance was very good, I really like it, especially your voice.”
“Thank you very much, your voice is also very attractive. You must be very famous here with those talents.”
After that, the atmosphere is quiet again, Taeng finally uses all of his braveness to ask her what bothers him the most now: “I know that it may be rude and surprise, I still have to ask you something. Truthfully I lost all of my memories since I was 13 years old after a surgery. I had tried to remember several times, however it was not working. But after seeing you, I suddenly have some scenes flashing through my mind, therefore I think that we know each other before. Is it true?”
Wheein looks up at him and hesitates for a while, she doesn’t know whether it’s good or bad if she tells him the truth. But the sincere look in his eyes doesn’t let her the chance to lie to him: “Oppa, it’s nice to see you again, looking healthy. Yes, it’s true that I knew you before when you was a super star, we were quite close in my thoughts. And you suddenly disappeared. A lot of people have been worrying about you. You left without any specific information, no one can find you, even your members. It’s like you never exist in this world. How have you been?”
“Members? So I was in a group before? We were quite close but I didn’t tell you about my sickness?”
“”I knew that you were sick, however I didn’t know it was that serious. Maybe you didn’t want anyone to be bothered about it, including your members and your fans, so you just left and made them think that you just didn’t want to be a singer anymore. You and your group was very famous, actually you all still are famous.” Stop for some seconds looking at him, she continues: “Are you healed completely now? Why don’t you come back to Korea?”
“I was in a coma for a long time. When I woke up, I didn’t remember anything. My family wants me to start a new life, happier and easier here cause they are just worried. I can’t ask them anything further. Since I meet you here, you can tell me what you know right? Can you help me Wheein ah?”
“Ok, oppa. I will tell you what I know. What kind of things do you want to know?”
“Everything.”
Wheein gives him a small smile because of his expression, like a kid who starts to learn about the world. She starts to tell him about the first time they met until the day he disappeared. Unknown to her, those smile and small actions from her makes the man beside have a lot of strange feeling. “She’s really beautiful and kind. I feel comfortable beside her.”
That night, Taeng listens carefully about what Wheein says, trying to know how his life was before. Since she will be here for a few days, Taeng keeps meeting her, and he knows it’s not just because he is curious about his past, he just wants to see her often without any specific reasons. 
LA, April 15, 2012
There are 2 more days until Wheein’s birthday, David just finishes buying present and sending it to Korea to make sure she can receive it on time. Ever since meeting her, David starts finding information about himself in the past without letting his parents know. He gradually becomes curious and follow every members of Wannabe. Even though he has not remembered a lot of things, he still has a soft spot for all of them, just like his family. 
On the way to his home, David meets a man who said he was from a famous company and wanted to recruit him as an trainees. He even promised to let him debut in this year for sure. David doesn’t know what to do, that strange man gave him a business card before walking away and tell him to call when he’s ready.
David takes out the card to see his name and the company, it wrote YG entertainment. “This name is very familiar, I think I know this company.” While waiting for the computer to start, suddenly his phone is ringing, the unknown number is calling:
“Hello, it’s David. May I know who is calling?”
“Hello, Kim Taeng. It’s been a long time, have you been well?”
“I am sorry, you call wrong numbers, I am David, and I don’t know what you are talking about.” – David is trying to keep calm while answering even though he is very surprised.
“You really don’t know me? Are you sure? I am Lee So Man, your teacher. I always wait for you to call me first ever since you left. You promised to contact me when you are fine and now you don’t even know me? Taengoo ah, I think it’s time for you to comeback.”
“I really don’t know you. I am sorry, I will hang up now.”
David hung up the call right away, he is very confused now, he doesn’t know what to do and who to call. He tries hard but still can not remember anything. “Who is he? Is it the truth? I should call Wheein to ask for help, she may know that man.”
David is looking for Wheein’s phone number, when he found it, he also received a message from the number earlier: “Call me when you ready. I will wait for you, son. I hope you will comeback to us as soon as possible.”
David then calls Wheein, he anxiously waiting for her to answer. After a couple of ringing, he finally hears a familiar voice on the phone: 
“Hello, oppa. Do you still awake? It’s past midnight there. Is anything wrong?”
“Am I disturbing you? I am sorry. It’s just… just confusing. I need someone to talk to now.”
“No, it’s ok. I am home right now. What happened?”
“Well, I met 2 people with 2 similar offer. They both want me to sign with their company. They are from Korea. The most important thing is one of them seems to know me very well, but I don’t remember anything. I am not sure if it’s a lie or not.”
“Oppa, don’t worry. Can you remember which companies they are from? Did they say anything special to you?”
“Well, one from YG and one is Lee So Man from SM. They both promise to promote me to become the most successful artist in Korea.”
“Well, the good news is that they are from 2 of 3 biggest companies in entertainment industry here, it means that you will soon become very famous again. I think you just need to ask yourself first, do you want to rejoin it now? What do you want oppa? You already know it can be very hard somehow.”
“Yes, I know. Actually I am wondering now because of what mr Lee told me. He said I promised him to comeback and all of my members are waiting for me. I … I don’t want to be a coward just because I am afraid of being hurt. I am just worried about my parents, I don’t know if they can take it and whether it’s good or bad, Wheein ah.” 
Wheein hears a long sigh after that, she knows he is just a newbie to this side of the world. He is confusing.
“Oppa, I cannot decide on behalf of you, however I can tell you one thing. The Kim Taeng I know is a very strong and talented person. He can do anything he wants, not because of being famous, but for his family and friends, for his fans and his passion. If you are happy, all people who love you will be happy too. You love your members as much as your family, that’s why you left without letting them know in order not to affect them. Now, you are completely fine, and you can decide on your own. You have the first supporter is me, I am your biggest fan too. You will choose right anyway.”
Listening carefully to what she said, David cannot believe those was from a girl who is 6 years smaller than him. She knows how to comfort him, and makes people feel comfortable. He likes that feeling. 
“Thank you a lot, and I think I know what I should do now even though you don’t tell me directly. You are very smart and I like that side about you, beside your voice and talents. In order to thank you for always helping me, I will give you a big present on your birthday. I hope you like it, my little girl.”
Hearing that from David, Wheein is suddenly blushing, luckily David can’t see it right now. She comes back as a small teenage girl, who is different from the grownup person before.
“Ah, is that so? I will receive it happily. Thank you so much, oppa.”
With that, they are chatting for about 15 minutes more about small things in their life. David can imagine her smile with little dimples, and he is very happy with that.
The next day, David makes his decision and persuade his parents to go back to Korea. They finally agree with him, but they ask him to promise that he will take care of himself and will not hide anything from them. His family prepare to go back next month since they need to transfer his little sister to a school in Korea.
SM entertainment, April 18
Mr Lee called all Wannabe members to gather at the company to hear news from him. They all arrived at 10 am and are sitting at mr Lee’s office. They are chatting continuously until hearing mr Lee voice:
“Ok, every one is here. I will say shortly. Firstly, I am sorry that I haven’t had enough time to care about you because of my personal problems. I will try harder to meet your expectations in the future. Secondly, I already decided that Wannabe will have a comeback as a group in June, you will have one more member that we found yesterday. He will be here by May 10, so please welcome him as warmly as possible. That’s the end. Anything’s curious? You can ask now.”
“What? New member? We already agreed to come back however we will never accept new member. I reject it.” – Kwon Yul said right after mr Lee’s statement.
“Uncle, why did you do that without letting us know first? You obviously know we will oppose to the idea. Kim Taeng is very important to us, comeback without him is already a big effort. You shouldn’t push it farther.” – Lee Sun calmly added following , clearly tell his viewpoints.
Mr Lee already knows his students will react like this, however he wants to test them before giving put a big surprise. He still keeps the secret that the member they found is Kim Taeng:
“I know it was very hard for you all to decide, however you have to accept it. The company is merciful for almost 2 years, now you have to follow the contracts. Don’t worry I am sure you will like the new member, we will talk again after you meet him, ok? That’s the best thing I can give you right now.”
“But”
“No but Im Yoon. I clearly tell you. Don’t force me to go further.”
“Ok, I hope you are right. Or else you will not only lose Wannabe but also all your students for almost ten years as well as your niece. We will wait for your surprise.” After that, Lee Sun tell all members to leave first, they will talk about this later.
Wannabe members all go home after the meeting. They need time to think alone.
At the same day, WA entertainment, practice room
Four girls are still practicing hard, they always put all of their effort in practicing. Suddenly their manager comes in and tells them to rest soon today. They are sitting down and discussing where to eat to celebrate Wheein’s birthday.
“I think we should just choose this, it nears our place and the food tastes better.”
“Ok, let’s go now.”
Right when they prepare to go out, the manager comes again with a small gift on his hand. Everyone is clapping and teasing him: “Woah, it’s my first time seeing you and a present. Why do you only give it on Wheein’s birthday? So unfair.”
“Stop, stop now. Please hear me first before saying, ok? Firstly, it’s for Wheein of course. Secondly it’s not from me, it’s from LA. Wheein ah, happy birthday, here’s yours.”
All the members looking surprised while Wheein receive the gift from the manager. Hye Jin is the first one speaking up: “I don’t even have to think who it is. A very handsome and good man is already fell for you, again. Aigoo, what a wonderful day!”
“Again? What does that mean?” – Yong Sun asked.
“Ah, as you might not know l, they already knew each other before, and was very very close until the day he disappeared. They must have been a couple then.”
“Don’t say nonsense things, Hye Jin ah. We are just close friends. Friends, ok?”
“Ok, ok. Friends. Love starts from friends anyway . Now just open it, I want to know what it is.”
Wheein then opens the gift. There are sneakers and a small note: “Happy birthday to you. Thank you a lot for always helping me. I hope you can use it well and become a great singer in the future. I will cheer you on, fighting! P/s: I will comeback to Korea soon, we will meet then, ok?”
Reading the notes together, all of them are teasing Wheein continuously. They all know she is a bit sad these days since an just hurt her by saying she is a trouble regarding her family and her dream of becoming a singer. That bad boy doesn’t deserve her anyway, however she is still unhappy since she is quite sensitive about her family circumstances. But now a good thing happened and they just hope her to be more happy.
Seoul, Im Yoon’s house
Yoon goes straight to his room after arriving at his house. His father is very worried seeing him like that for a long time, still silent, sad and tired. He didn’t say anything about his problems.
Mr Im then calls his secretary to his workroom:
“How about the matter I asked you to investigate last week? Do you find anything?”
“Yes. I investigated about the girl that the young master likes, she is one of the trainees at SM entertainment, born in 1991. She’s a kind, beautiful girl from a normal family. Her father is a professional and her mother is a teacher. She has a little sister. Young master knew her since 2010, they are quite close until when SM managers forbidden them to meet since she’s just a trainee. Because young master is worried about her future, he just follows and helps her secretly, they have not met directly for a long time, I don’t know about details now.”
“Ok, I got it. Do you know what happened today? Is it related to that girl?”
“Today? No, there’s nothing related to her.” After thinking for a minute, he suddenly remembers: “Ah, one of the managers at SM just told me that they are preparing for Wannabe’s comeback in June. They said there will be one more person joining in the group soon.”
“One more person? It means that they will add new member for Wannabe?”
“Yes, I think so, sir. Do you want me to do anything?”
“No, just observing now. Both the girl and Wannabe activity plans. He will be angry if I get a handle on it now. You already know his personality since his mother left us.”
The secretary can see the sadness in his master eyes: “Master, why don’t you tell him everything that happened? He is your only son, even though he doesn’t hate you, now he still keeps a distance from you.”
“He is tired enough, just let him rest. I will talk about it later when he is getting better. Just do what I told you before, now I need to take a rest, can you go out?”
“Ok. Have a good rest, master. I will go out now.” 
The secretary then gets out and closes the doors. He just doesn’t know what to do in order to help his master.
That night, at Kwon Yul’s house
Yul just finished dinner with his family. He kept silent since coming back from the company, and laying down inside his room after having dinner. He just plays random music and free his mind as much as possible. 
Suddenly, the doors are opened and his older brother walks in with an excited face: “Hey, go out with me. I will have a small party with my close friends and colleagues. It’s completely private so don’t worry. You have to come out now or else you will be autism soon. Get out even when you don’t want, come on!”
“Huyng, I just want to stay at home. I am not in a good mood now, I may ruin your party so…”
“Aiish, don’t think too much. They are very kind, they won’t say anything. There are people who is same age as you and there are some who are younger than you, it will be very fun. Just go with me. Keep being like this will make our parents to be worry more. You can tell me everything while we are on our way there.”
“Ok, I will be ready in 5 minutes.”
“Good. I will wait for you inside the car.”

The two Kwon brothers are heading to a normal bar in Cheong Dam Dong instead of Gang Nam since Yul doesn’t like noisy place. He want a normal place to drink now. The two rent a private room and called a couple bottles of alcohol. Only 2 friends of Huyk Joon come here since they changed the place at the last minute. Kwon Yul smiles lightly at them as they come. Huyk Joon introduces them to each other: “Oh, you’re here. Sit down, let me introduce. This is my little brother Kwon Yul. Yul, this is my friends, Kim Huyn Jun and Kang Ki Hoon.”
“Hello, it’s very nice to meet you.”
The four start chatting and drinking while getting to know each other. After a while, Yul realizes he is not the youngest, since Ki Hoon was born in 1991. Therefore he feels more comfortable since their youngest is very cheerful, he doesn’t have to worry about the mood around. 
While Huyk Joon amd Huyn Jun are dancing in the first floor, the two remaining keep drinking. After 10 minutes, Ki Hoon said first: “You seem to have a lot of thought right now. Do you want to share it?”
Kwon Yul slightly raises his head to look at the younger beside, he suddenly feels strange since his feelings are that obvious to others. “Are you an observant person or am I too easy to guess? I don’t know anymore.” Ki Hoon smile when hearing that statement, however he remains silent since he wants to hear more. Kwon Yul continues: “There are a lot of things happened, so I am a bit confused. Am I right or wrong? I always ask myself whenever there’s problems. I don’t know if being a celebrity is better choice, or I would be happier if I were a normal person. I have things which a lot of people don’t have, but I cannot live the way I want, both in love and music. It’s ridiculous right?” Kwon Yul is a bit drunk and he is mocking himself are two things Ki Hoon can be sure right now. He doesn’t know what to say since Yul didn’t said about his problems specifically. “Huyng, you just need to remember that life if always hard no matter who you are, especially when you are a famous singer. However you should talk about your own problems with the person you trust, and you will be fine.”
“I know. I still be here today because I know those things. Don’t worry, you will soon get used to this side of me since I just complain and forget it the day after. I am always a positive person ”
“That’s good. I don’t want to have a friend who is always so somber. I can’t lift the mood all the time.”
“Uhm, reasonably. Wait, friend? I am 2 years older than you, I want to be your older brother, not friends. Call me huyng now!”
“Ok, ok. I get it. You are really not funny at all.” 
Then the two younger man starts laughing at themselves because of the childishness they are having. They are becoming closer than expected just by these kind of things.