Chapter 17

Destiny

May 30th, 2012
   Wannabe has moved to live in the dorm since 15 days ago. It’s more convenient for them to live together, especially when they are practicing and will soon have group activities. They finished all the recording of new songs and only need practicing for performance nowadays. 
    Today is Yoong’s ’s birthday, so other members are going to surprise him with a small party. They actually also do it for Sun since his birthday 15 days ago was not celebrated entirely. Yul and Soo are going to supermarket, Taeng is cleaning the house and preparing to cook for dinner. Lee Sun has a meeting with producers of the next reality program that he will join while Yoon is meeting the director of his new project, therefore they will have some free time to prepare for the party before they head back.
   Since Yoon is not there, Taeng and Yul are the main chief. And of course, the remaining member only has to prepare chopsticks, bowls while eating nonstop. 
        “Yah, Soo, can you help us by not eating now? You already ate almost everything.”
        “Well, that’s an exaggeration. I just ate some fruits and tasted some dish. I am helping you all by trying the food first to see if anything is wrong.”
        “Really? Thank you very much in helping, even though we don’t need that.” – Yul said sarcastically after rolling his eyes.
        “Soo, can you go out to bring the cake back since we are both busy now? It’s better than just sitting down” – Taeng calmly said to stop the small arguments between two taller boys.
        “Ok, Taengoo. I will be right back.” – Soo grabs the car key on top of the table and gets out in 3 minutes.
        “Yay, finally peaceful. That shikshin is really eating up everything here.” – Yul shakes his head lightly while complaining about their tallest member.
        “I find it interesting though. We always need someone like that. You see, food will not be wasted and the mood is getting better, thanks to him. If everyone is like two of us, we might be in a bigger trouble.” – Taeng naturally smile while saying.
        “I like that, I mean your smile. I feel like you are familiar with us, and we are better just like years ago.”
        “Thanks, I am happy now. And we all will be. We only have good things remaining now. Don’t worry. Ah, and be careful please, you need to pay attention to the beef or else we will have nothing to eat later.”
        “Geez, I almost forgot. Emotional is not really my things.” – The two then shrug their shoulders and immediately come back to their senses as normal since it’s getting too cringe.
     When the two are busy, Yul’s phone is ringing: 
         “Taeng ah, see who’s calling for me. My hands are dirty now.”
     Glancing at the phone screen, Taeng see a strange name called Ki Hoon: “Someone whose name is Ki Hoon is calling you. Do you need me to bring your phone over?”
          “No, it’s ok. I will call him again later. He must call to ask me to go to some parties. Sometimes I hang out with him when I have free time. He’s a good friend.”
         “Is he one of your best friends who are not celebrities? I think I heard his names several times.”
         “Well, I know him through my older brother. It’s been only several months, however he is a good boy and we are getting closer faster than others. You should go out with me more often and I will introduce him to you.”
        “Ok, I want to meet more people anyway.”
   Yul is a bit surprised hearing Taeng agree to his suggestions quite fast: “Well, you are more outgoing now. If it’s 3 years ago, you will decline my suggestion right away. I like your change now, it’s better.”
         “I usually go out a lot when I was in LA. So I think that I am getting used to it now. I finish preparing here, can I help you? Have you done?”
         “Everything is done, we just need to wait for the cake and members. Let’s eat some fruit and watch TV while waiting.” – Yul washes his hands and bring some fruit to the sofa while waiting for others.
SM entertainment
    Lee Sun is having a meeting with PD Lee for the variety which is set to film in the countryside in 3 weeks. He needs to film some introduction video and learn about the format now. He will have shooting scheduled once every 2 weeks in 3 months, with 5 more people. 
   PD Lee: “Do you understand our program now? Is there anything that you want to know more?”
      “I got it, no need to explain now.”
       “Good, so we will film a short video for introducing in 15 minutes. Is it fine?”
       “Of course, I will see you later.”
   PD Lee then comes out to prepare cameras with his staffs, leaving Lee Sun alone in the conference room.
       “Do you need to change clothes, Sun?” – Ming Ming, the manager who followed them for years asked.
       “No, noona. It’s better this way, they call it natural, you know?” – Lee Sun winked playfully looking at his manager.
       “Stop playing. I won’t fall for you just by those tricks.” 
       “That’s why you are still our manager now. I just want to try, since who knows, you might fall for one of us.”
       “Since your mood is good, please end the filming in one shot so that I can go home early, that’s what I am most thankful about.”
       “Yes, madam.” – Lee Sun salutes as if he is a soldier, which successfully lift up the mood around.
       “Ah, the president told me an hour ago that you had to call him. He said it were personal problem.”
        “I talked to him, noona. He told me to attend the party celebrating my little brother’s advancement. I don’t have time for that now.”
       “You just don’t want to appear, don’t make excuses.”
        “He will be happier without me, that’s the only way I can do to relieve his pain. We’re better this way.”
        “If you say the truth, he might not hold grudges anymore. It was just an accident.”
        “He was too small when it happened. I don’t want him to remember those things again. I will fix that when it’s suitable.” He smile then continues: “I think PD Lee called me, I should go now.”
   The manager then exhales loudly, guessing that boy is thinking of escaping again. “I will die soon by holding these secrets. Aigoo”.
   The format is similar to the program Lee Sun attended last year, therefore he feels comfortable and only need 20 minutes to finish filming.
    Meanwhile, at the similar time inside SBS building, Im Yoon is meeting the director for his daily drama. It is expected to have 20 episodes. He will act along side with Moon Chae Won, and they are having a script reading now. He expected to finish filming in 3 months, right before their Asia tours.
5pm, Im Yoon left the building. After getting in the car, he opened his phone and saw a message: “Call me when you finish. Dad will wait for you.” He wants to ignore that, however he still presses the call button.
         “Yes, dad. Is there anything important? I just finished working and I didn’t know you called me.”
         “No, nothing. I just want to ask if you have free time to come home and eat with me tonight?”
         “I am on my way to our dorm. I have an appointment with my members later, so I don’t think I can go home now.”
         “Ah, I got it. Anyway, happy birthday my son. I bought you a small gift, I will ask my secretary to send to you.” 
   Im Yoon can hear a small sigh from his father, he is disappointed, obviously. It’s been months since they met each other even though they are both in the same city.          “Well, I will have some free time tomorrow’s night, so if you can arrange, I will come home after work.” Hearing nothing from other side, Yoong added: “It’s ok if you are busy, I just suggest.” Before he continues, he heard his father agreed right away, as if he is afraid that his son will change his mind: “No, no. I am free. I always have time for you. See you tomorrow, son.”
        “Yes, see you tomorrow, dad. Goodbye!”
  The manager who is sitting beside Yoon can see his nervousness during the phone call. He gets used to it for years, the “strange atmosphere” while he is talking to his father: “You should use more gentle voice while talking to him. He cares about you a lot.”
       “I know, huyng. I am trying but it’s still… I think I will keep this kind of attitude for a while. I haven’t had enough confidence to talk to him like a normal son.”
       “I know. I just want to remind you. At the end, family is the most important thing.”
        “Thanks, huyng. I will try.” With that, Yoon closes his eyes to rest while going back to his dorm.
2012, June 5th, 4 days before showcase and mini album releases
     The music video teasers for each member are starting to release today, from the youngest member Im Yoon. SM entertainment doesn’t give any detail information other than some photo and now only give people hearing 15 seconds of the song. The teaser is trending worldwide 15 minutes after releasing, with a very hot reaction from people. Most of top search is talking about Wannabe and their comeback. 
 The 1st article on Naver site is “Wannabe give more detail information about their grand comeback. Which kind of image they will bring to us this time?” SM’s social team is watching over the top reaction and comments to make sure there’s no mistakes:
-    [+9k upvote] How exciting! We are waiting for 2 years, Wannabe fighting! I love you oppa.
-    [+8k upvote] They finally comeback with all 5. I am too excited. The melody is good, my bias Yoong oppa is too handsome
-    [+7.5k upvote] More than anything, I am curious about some solo songs rather than the titles. Hope they are good.
-    …[+1k upvote] Well, they should just disappear, nowadays we already have newer generations. They are too old. (I am not antifan) …
     Several kinds of reaction can be seen all over the internet. Overall, there are mostly good things so they don’t have to worry much.
D-1 to the comeback day
    The pre-release song was unveiled. They chose “When I can’t sing” to be the first song. The teaser for That xx – the solo song of Kim Taeng ft. Yoon was also released. The song climbed up to top 3 of all digital charts. Fans like it even though some are not happy since they think that Im Yoon appeared too much. 
Wannabe is gathering at the company for final rehearsal before the showcase. They have some time to rest in the middle, some of them look at the reaction through internet. Some just lying on the floor. They are regaining energy in their own way. Even though it is still unclear, they somehow can feel that the reaction this time is not bad. A lot of celebrities including SM artists are complimenting them, trainees they met these days while coming to the company also said they liked it a lot which means it might be successful album later.
That night, at Lee Sun’s parents house
    They are having a party to congratulate their son for being the new CEO. Mr and mrs Lee are now sitting at the side, watching his son going around and say hi to all the guests. Mrs Lee keeps looking over the door to wait for a familiar figure to appear, which makes her husband notice: “It’s 10:30 pm now, he won’t come. Don’t wait, you should go inside and rest.”
      “Let me wait until 11 pm.”
Mr Lee doesn’t say anything more, he let his wife do what she wants. Looking over to the left, he saw his little brother coming: 
     “Huyng, sorry that I am a bit late. I was too busy, congratulations, two of you.”
     “So Man, you are finally here. I am glad that you come, I am boring now.”
   Lee So Man sees his brother looking over his shoulders, knowing what he is waiting for: “You know, Wannabe will have showcase tomorrow so Sun is very busy. He is still practicing now, I am afraid that he doesn’t have time to attend this. He told me to tell you two not to worry, he is fine.” 
   Mrs Lee seems quite disappointed hearing that her older son would not come. She said that she was tired and went to rest first. After his wife disappeared, mr Lee finally speaks:
       “So Man ah, thank you. I know you are trying to reassure me and my wife. I understand that he doesn’t want to come. He still can’t get over that.”
       “Huyng, it’s 12 years already, how can he remember until now? He was just a 12-year-old kid.”
       “No, he can remember because he was a kid. Being kidnapped and trapped for 5 straight days were all too much for a kid. If I wasn’t that selfish and suspicious, both Sun and Jun will be fine without those bad memories.”
       “No one can foresee future. It was not your fault. We were all too subjective.”
       “More than blaming myself, I am worried that Sun cannot live a normal life because of that. Unlike Jun, he is the one who remembers everything clearly.”
      “Don’t worry, huyng. Since the day he was under my company, I have always pay attention to him to make sure that he is fine. I will find chance to talk to him more.”
       “Thank you so much. I will count on you.”
       “Believe me, huyng.” – Mr Lee So Man successfully calm down his older brother, again.
12pm, Lee Jun got drunk. The maid brings him back to his room, he opens his cellphone, the message is still appeared on the screen: “Congratulations, Jun. I know you will succeed for sure.” Sniggering, he mumbles: “Being artificial again. I swear that I will take everything from you, Lee Sun.”

12 years ago, May 2000
    Lee Sun and Lee Jun are going to home after school ended. Since the family’s driver will arrive later because of traffic jam, the two brothers are walking home slowly and waiting for him. Lee Sun is getting used to the fact that he has a little brother who was kidnapped and missing for almost 4 years. 
        “Huyng, can I play football soon? I want to run around like you and other friends but they always say that I am not healthy enough. Am I an useless person?”
        “What are you talking about? You are sick now but it will be better soon. We will not only play football but also other sports.”
        “Really? You promise?”
        “Of course. I am your older brother, I will never lie to you.”
    Lee Jun is smiling brightly after hearing his brother say. Meanwhile, Lee Sun secretly lets out a small sigh watching his little brother, he knows that was a lie. Since Jun has problems with health because of violence when he was away from parents, he needs several surgeries in order to be healed completely. And he heard his parents said that it would not be easy.
   Lee Sun wakes up hearing Jun called him. He catches up and holds Jun’s hand while walking together. Suddenly, a black car stops right beside them, two men wearing black coats and hats catch and push them into the car. It happened in only a minute so none of them can react or scream for help.
Jun is very scared and keeps trembling, he holds onto Sun’s arms tightly. Lee Sun tries to calm down his brother and putting him to fall asleep. Looking around, there are 3 men’s including the driver, it seems that they are kidnappers. Inside the car, and the three men are talking out loud, not caring about the two kids behind:
        “I told you, we only need the older one to get the money, why do you catch both of them? Stupid.”
         “What? Stupid? How can I know who is the older? It’s better to have both of them.”
         “But…”
         “Stop arguing. It’s not bad, since Hee Sun really misses Jun, I think she will get better if she meets him.” – The man sitting on the right side of Lee Sun talks after hearing the two argument for a while. 
Lee Sun’s pov
“Hee Sun? I think I know this name. Wait a minute, isn’t she the woman who took Jun away from us? Daddy said she is crazy, why do these people know her? They might not just want money from our family. Jun is not feeling well, I cannot let him meet that woman again.” 
End of pov
      Lee Sun is thinking of how to get out of this mess. However, his mind goes blankly at this moment.
      The car arrived almost an hour later. The two kids was put on the hood before going in. When they open their eyes, one big man with a scar on his face is in front of them, he sits on the chair and looks straight at them:
             “Hi, nice to meet you. I think we don’t need introduction right?” – He pauses for seconds and looking at two boys before continuing: “You are two smart and rich kid, so I think you know what I want. But now I need your cooperation, tell me who is Lee Jun between you two?”
      Two boys stick together and keep silent while listening. The scary man seems to be impatient with their attitude, he gets closer and grabs their neck, using his loud voice:
             “You want to keep silent? Do you think I can’t make you open your mouth now? I may need money but if you two piss me off, I can become very scary, more than you can imagine. I only ask one more time, who is Lee Jun?”
             “It’s me. I am Lee Jun.” – The boy who is on the man’s right hand finally speaks out. His voice is trembling just like his hands. However, unknown to the man, the boy on the left is surprised to hear that, but he soon act as normal as possible.
             “Really? But as I know, Lee Jun is a weak boy, both mentally and physically. So I don’t think he will admit.”
             “You are right. However, even though I am weak, I still don’t want my brother to get hurt since he is our family’s hope.” – The boy said looking away, trembling.
             “Ok, Fine. I will comeback in minutes. There are some foods over there, eating while waiting obediently. Understand?”
     The two boys nod their heads lightly. The man puts them down and gets out of the room, locking the door.
     After seeing that man walking far away, the two boys sit down on the floor, looking around for a while. They are really scared right now, since it’s quite dark here, there are a lot of strange sound too.
             “Why did you do that?” – Lee Jun looks at his brother, waiting for the answer.
             “Believe me, I just want to protect you. I heard their conversation earlier, I think that they will do bad things to you, so it’s better for me to admit that I am Lee Jun. Don’t worry and do what I say, then we can get out of here very soon, ok?”
     Lee Jun carefully listens to what Sun said, and then he agreed to lie in front of those man. He is Lee Sun now, and his older brother is Lee Jun.
     The man is back about 25 minutes later, he pulls out Lee Sun – whom he thought is Lee Jun without saying anything. Lee Sun follows him without recrimination, he turns his head to look at his brother and gives him a small smile to reassure him before disappearing.
     Lee Sun was lead to different room, where has a lot of strange things with the color red. He sits in the corner alone, then suddenly the door is open, revealing a woman with a red dress and red high heels. That woman looks at him while getting closer, she carefully observes his face, then all of the sudden, she hugs him very tightly and whispering with her thin holy voice: “My Jun, I miss you so much. I won’t let them take you away from me again. You are my son, always.”
     Lee Sun knows who she is now. She must be Hee Sun - the maid of their family who kidnapped Jun 4 years ago. But she is somehow not normal – that’s what he feels since she easily mistaken him as Jun. 
      Lee Sun and Lee Jun was kept in different room in a house. Lee Sun has to bear with Hee Sun’s irregular mood everyday, she sometimes takes care of him like a mother, sometimes acts like a crazy woman, hit him hard with a lot of threatening words. It repeats at least 4 times a day for 5 days straight.
      Meanwhile, Lee Jun was kept inside a dark room, he is beaten as well, however they mostly leave him alone inside the dark to scare him so that he doesn’t dare to try to get out.
At Lee’s house after the kidnapped happened
    Mr and Mrs Lee received the news about their sons missing right after they were kidnapped. A day passed, they finally received information from the kidnappers. They need to give them 100 million dollars in order to save their sons. However, they can only have 50 million dollar now, they need more time to have enough money. Therefore, they want to make a deal with kidnappers and save one boy first. Mr Lee wants to save Lee Sun while his wife wants both of their sons to come home safely right away. Mr Lee keeps wondering what he should do, then with help from his brother and relatives, he decides to give them 50 million dollars first to trick them, cause he will cooperate with police to catch them and save both of his sons at the same time.
     On the promised day, mr Lee brings money and goes to the agreed place. The police has been following him since the start. After a long way, they finally got address of the house that those kidnappers keep Lee Sun and Lee Jun. The police rapidly moving to the house, however they can only save Lee Sun – who was  inside Hee Sun’s room and let one guy escaped with Lee Jun as a hostage. 
    Lee Sun was brought out with a lot of bruises over his body, but he uses all of his strength to tell his father when seeing him: “Daddy, Jun is inside. You need to catch him before that guy takes him to the boat. They said they will go to China soon.” 
        “Ok, I know, I know. Lee Sun, can you hear me? Wake up, wake up now!” – mr Lee calls out loudly when seeing his son passing out with blood over his body.
    He hugs his son and gets on the ambulance immediately, after telling the police what he heard.
    Waiting outside the emergency room, mr Lee received a phone call from the police officer:
         “Yes, I am listening.”
         “Mr Lee, we have your second son now, he has some bruises over his body, but it’s not serious. However, the doctor said that he seems to be frightened by what happened. He didn’t say anything and was in coma for a while.”
    Mr Lee holds tightly to the phone, trying to keep his patience: “Take him to Seoul national hospital now. I want to make sure that my son will be fine and those people will be punished as soon as possible.”
    The police officer can sense the anger inside mr Lee’s voice, which somehow makes him scared too. Since mr Lee is not an normal person, he needs to be careful in order not to lose his job because of this case.
         “Of course, mr Lee. One man was shot and found dead, two other man were arrested now. And Hee Sun, she committed suicide by strangling herself inside her room. We will make sure they receive deserved penalty.”
         “Remember, I don’t want to see any of them appear in my life again, do you understand?”
         “Yes, yes. I got it.”
    Mr Lee ended the phone call, standing fixedly watching his older son inside the emergency room.
   After waking up, Lee Sun sees himself lying inside the hospital, with a lot of machines around. He doesn’t remember how he got here, so he just shakes his head trying to remember what happened. Some scenes are flashing through his mind, a woman, a belt, blood everywhere. He saw a couple of eyes open widely, a woman were hanging on the ceiling. He is too scared and screaming out lout while shaking crazily.
   Mr Lee who was lying on the sofa suddenly wakes up because of the screaming. He saw his son sitting alone in the bed, shaking nonstop. He carefully gets closer:          “Don’t worry, daddy is here. Everything is fine now. You are safe.”
        “Daddy? Help me, she said that she would take me with her, she wants to kill me…”
   Lee Sun keeps repeating those words, eyes are empty. Mr Lee hugs his son, patting his shoulders to calm him until he falls asleep again. He finally sheds a tear after a long time, seeing his son acting like a crazy person.
Back to present 
    Lee Sun wakes up during midnight. He sees that woman again, the same dream he sometimes has for almost 12 years.
    After that incident, Lee Sun was getting better after 2 weeks, he was fine but didn’t say anything related to that accident. The first thing he asked after calming down was about his little brother condition. After knowing that he was fine, he kept silent again, hasn’t talked much and kept a distance from his parents since then.
   Lee Sun still remembers clearly the first conversation he had with his little brother after the kidnapping:
    Lee Sun’s pov  
    Lee Sun goes into a special care room. His little brother is sitting on the sofa, looking far away to the scenery. 
    “Jun? Are you feeling better today? I heard the doctor said that you were fine, however you didn’t talk to anyone. Can you tell me what’s wrong?”
    Lee Jun keeps his pose for minutes without answering. Lee Sun is walking closer to where he is, when he is one arm long away from his little brother, he heard a small voice:
      “Why?”
      “What are you saying? I cannot hear you”
    Lee Sun sees Jun turning his head slowly, his eyes are somewhat strange, he is not the old brother he knew, his eyes are full of anger and hatred, he’s changed:          “Do you hate me that much? Why did you do it?” – Jun asked angrily while looking at his brother in the eyes.
      “Wh..What? I think you misunderstood something. I…”
    Jun doesn’t let him finish the sentence: “Misunderstanding? So how can you explain about pretending to be me and was saved first? I almost died, brother. And that’s because of you and your very smart plan. I was a stupid kid who only believed you. I thought that you were trying to protect me, unexpectedly, you were just trying to save yourself alone. How ridiculous I was!” 
    Watching his brother half-smile, Lee Sun is suddenly afraid that he will lose a very important thing from now on. He hurriedly wants to explain, however, it’s too late since he heard Lee Jun words continues: “Don’t appear in front of me again, we are no longer brothers. I never want to see you, even when I died. Remember, huyng, I will take everything from you in order to pay back what you did to me. Now, get lost before I lose my temper again.”
   Lee Sun keeps silent, every word likes an arrow aiming to his heart. He lost, completely: “All right, I will do everything you want. If you want to revenge me, you should rest and being healthy as soon as possible.” 
   After finishing that, Lee Sun got out of that room. Since that moment, he knows he already lost his brother forever.
End of pov
  Lee Sun shakes his head lightly while recalling the painful memories. He sweat a lot. He walks out of the room, takes a cup of wine and stands in the balcony, slowly calms down himself alone.
   Meanwhile, Choi Soo feels thirsty, so he just got out of his room to get some water. After taking out a bottle of water, lights outside the balcony makes him to pay attention to. He thought one of his friends needs a conversation right now.
      “Can’t sleep? Again?” 
      “Do I wake you up?” – Lee Sun answers without looking since he already knows who he is. They are too familiar so that he can easily know who is who without looking.
      “No, I wanted to drink water and coincidentally saw you here, alone. I think you may need some help.” Choi Soo stops for a second before carefully asking: “You dreamt about that accident again, didn’t you?”
      “Yes. I saw it again, clearly. It might because I suddenly thinks of my brother today since he was promoted to be CEO officially.”
      “How long will you keep it as a secret to him? He always tries to defeat and take everything you have had. And you just let him be while you haven’t done anything wrong.”
      “No, I was wrong once, it was when I said I was him. It’s my fault that he’s like that.”
      “No, it’s the kidnappers’ fault, not yours. Listen, this might hurt you but I have to say. You need to let him know the reason, or else there will be a lot of people including your parents getting hurt because of this. Thinking carefully about what I said.”
       “I know you are just worried about me. But I haven’t brave enough to face him. I remember clearly his facial expression that day, it was painful, angry and disappointed. So if he can live happily, I can give away my happiness and live like this until I died.”
       “Haizz, I hope one day you can realize that might not be good to him. Just consider what I said and forget everything about that incident. You deserve to be happy, only for yourself.”
   Lee Sun is letting out a smile hearing his friend’s comments. He knows this friend only wishes him the best things. We are all like that, wishing members of happiness all the time. However, life is never as easy as it sounds to be.
       “Now it’s not the most important, for me our comeback is the most serious thing that I care this year. I will think about these recommendations when we have free time later.”
   Choi Soo pretends to put out the most frustrating face while complaining right after hearing the excuses of the person next to him: “Aish, you are out of cure, just like Yul and Yoon. So insightful and smart, to the extent that makes me frustrated. To my knowledge, we won’t have any free vacation until a year later at least. No need to promise half-heartedly like that.”
       “You know me too well, Soo.” – Then the two are smiling together while watching the city’s beautiful night view. They are fully prepared for the next busy season, starting from the next day.

Author’s PS
    I used 3 songs which were released in 2012 in this chap for Wannabe’s album. If you are curious, you can search for it online, they are quite good songs in my opinion: GD’s That XX, Infinite’s The chaser and Se7en’s When I can’t sing. And one more "gift", these following photos would be how all Wannabe looks like for the comeback in chapter 17 and later (until I changed it LOL). Because I just learned PTS by myself recently so if those are bad, forgive me pls :)