Stay

태연 x 티파니

"Taeyeon."

Taeyeon's fingers loosen around the brunette's wrist.

Tiffany is here- physically, in her grasp. Her warmth seeping through her fingertips and Taeyeon could almost taste her perfume on her tongue.

But Taeyeon could feel her slipping away, right through the cracks of her fingers. She wondered if she could hold on to her a little longer; just a little longer if she seizes on tighter.

"Taeyeon."

Tiffany said again, cold and impatient.

Taeyeon let her hand slip, missing the warmth almost immediately as it drops lifelessly to her side. Taeyeon isn't sure what she is trying holding on to when Tiffany had slipped away. Right from her grip- right where she tried to hold on.

"I'm sorry."

A sigh but Taeyeon refused to look at Tiffany. Taeyeon isn't sure if she could handle the look of sympathy on Tiffany's face.

She stared at the carpet at her feet; the red stain where Tiffany had accidentally spilled half a glass of her wine last summer, the little black marker lines when Tiffany's drawing seeped through the paper, the little grey stains around the edges when Tiffany forgot to leave her shoes at the foyer. Taeyeon briefly thought if she should have replaced the rug- but then all traces that Tiffany was once hers would vanish.  

Taeyeon moved her gaze and noticed the space between her and where Tiffany was standing. Tiffany is here- so close, yet so distant.

"I'm sorry, Taeyeon."

Taeyeon does not know what to say or do.

Taeyeon did not know what Tiffany was sorry about or should be sorry about. Should Tiffany be the one apologizing for letting go of their love or the fact that their relationship was beyond saving? In that case, shouldn't Taeyeon be sorry too?

Their relationship had long lost its sparks- the relationship stale, both complacent and stayed for the silly promises they made. Taeyeon had prepared herself mentally when Tiffany started coming home later than usual the past months- The scent of musk that cling to her dress; the undeniable glow when Tiffany's phone vibrated.

She wasn't sure when it started but they no longer eat at the same table, talk with the same smiles or sleep on the same bed. Tiffany was no longer the Tiffany that Taeyeon knew, but Taeyeon stayed because she promised. There was little she could do but helplessly watch Tiffany slipped through what she tried to salvage.

"I'm sorry."

Taeyeon tensed when the arms wrapped around her gingerly. There was no longer warmth nor love- just guilt, caution and apologies.

Tiffany said something against the nip of her neck but Taeyeon remained silent. She took time to let her body map the contours, scent and curves of Tiffany- pressed against her own, the last time. Just like puzzle, their bodies once melts into the curves and gaps- but now, there was lingering spaces between them. 

There was no tears because Taeyeon didn't felt miserable. Tiffany was happy with him and somehow, Taeyeon was happy for her, too. Was that love? Taeyeon didn't know but she knew that Tiffany deserve all sorts of happiness, even if it's not her. Maybe it was the guilt that Taeyeon had occupied Tiffany for years when they were heading nowhere.

"Stay?"

Taeyeon croak, unsure why she tried to make Tiffany stay when the brunette had already took a step outside. Tiffany shook her head, just smiled, took his hand and apologized again.

Taeyeon watch her go- along with a piece of her that will always stay with Tiffany.