Again

태연 x 티파니

"Class, we have a new transfer student today. Her name is K-Kim Taeyeon."

Taeyeon did not miss the stutter in the teacher's voice nor how the class was suddenly silenced with the announcement. She quirked an eyebrow in amusement. Jaws dropped, movements halted and surprised exclamations echoed. She bowed and delivered her speech as she had practiced.

"Hello, my name is Kim Taeyeon. Nice to meet you. Please guide me in the future. Thank you."

The class remained tongue-tied and Taeyeon giggled. The teacher cleared his throat.

"There is an empty seat at the back row. Make yourself comfor-"

"NO!"

A loud thud was heard and Taeyeon inspected the standing brunette .

"Miss Hwang?"

"I-Inha is sitting here sir."

"Baek Inha?"

A feeble hand raised weakly in the air.

"Sorry sir, but I've changed my seat last week. Kwon Jiyoung is my new desk mate."

Taeyeon simply shrugged and made her way toward the empty seat. She smiled at the trembling brunette.

"My name is Kim Taeyeon. You are...?"

The latter stared at the blonde who flashed a charming smile.

"Ti-Tiffany."

"Nice to meet you... Tiffany."

Tiffany gulped.

/////////

"It can't be.... It- This can't be."

"Its not a dream right?"

"We can't possibly all have the same dream."

"S-She can't be real...."

"She's real. She's warm. I touched her."

"Oh my god."

"Do you still have it, Yuri?"

"No, i threw it into the canal..."

"Inha?"

"I-I threw it away too."

"Anyone?"

"I...I've still got mine."

There was rustling as everyone huddled around the desk at the corner of the class. Tiffany tore apart the tightly wrapped box and carefully lifted the ziplock bag. The stench was unbearable and a handful gagged.

"Why didn't you..."

"I don't know where- i don't-"

"God, Hwang, which part were you given?"

"..."

"Hwang?"

"That's the heart."

Juhyun breathed and a suffocating tension plagued the group. Tiffany regurgitated.

/////////

Taeyeon took pride in the assets that she was blessed with at birth. Taking at extra strut in her steps, she ran her fingers through her luscious blonde mane. She winked at a captivated senior as she sauntered towards the classroom. Once again, her entrance hushed the class promptly. She took her usual seat beside Tiffany and noticed how the girl fidgeted restlessly in her chair.

"Tiffany?"

By reflex, Tiffany jumped away from the hand that touched her. Several gasps were heard.

"D-Don't. Don't touch me."

Tiffany's voice was laden with fear and Taeyeon was bewildered.

////////////

After a week of her arrival, Taeyeon was already enveloped by half of the boys in the entire school's population. There was satisfaction in the attention she was bestowed. She faked a honey-dripping laugh as she accepted some of the presents pushed into her arms. She waved goodbye to her admirers as she shut the class door behind her. The class was once again muted. She juggled with her gifts and proceeded to her post.

"Hi Tiffany."

The mentioned gulped audibly and Taeyeon grinned at the pale girl staring at her with wide eyes. A shuffle and she giggled, amused at how the girl was pressed against the wall with her pink pen trembling in her grasp. She took out her own book and observed the athletic Mathematics teacher who stepped through the door.

"Say..."

Taeyeon leaned over to Tiffany and whispered coyly.

"...Don't you think Mr Jung is quite a catch?"

//////////

"Mr Jung!"

Taeyeon waved at the teacher who acknowledged her with a smile.

"I think need some help with my homework. Do you think you can help me?"

Mr Jung scratched his head modestly when Taeyeon batted her eyelids at him.

"I guess I can make some time for this before i go."

"Great! Shall we go to the classroom?"

Mr Jung chuckled and let Taeyeon lugged him eagerly to the empty classroom.

//////////

Things eventually resumed back to normal after Taeyeon's sudden appearance a month ago. Her classmates had dismissed the freak accident as a bad nightmare which Juhyun scientifically declared as 'Lucid Dreaming'. Nobody had an explanation for Tiffany's possession of a piece of flesh but they decided to forgo it before Juhyun could launch another science lecture. Yuri had made Tiffany discard the rotting flesh into the river and they made an oath to never speak about it again.

The class embarked on their annual school excursion to Jeju two days ago. Tiffany was lost in the feeling of the gentle breeze caressing her serene features, and she reclined onto the green pasture with a sigh of contentment.

"Having fun?"

"O-Oh, Taeyeon. I am. You?"

"It's boring."

Tiffany chuckled when Taeyeon plopped down beside her, whining. Taeyeon was one of her closest friend before her 'dream' happened and she was earnest in finding the rhythm to build up the friendship again.

It was just a dream.

She reminded herself when Taeyeon comfortably rested her head on her shoulder.

"Do you think I'm pretty, Tiffany-ah?"

"Wh-What? Of course, Taeyeon!"

"Mr Jung does't seem interested in me."

"You know he's married."

"But we went on a few dates! And he brought me home..."

"WHAT?!"

"Hush Fany, it's our secret. He is so so amazing, by the way."

"Oh my god, Tae. You know that's-"

"-Tiffany wait, I see him! I'll talk to you later."

Tiffany's jaw dropped when Tayeon hastily excused herself, smiling bashfully as she linked arms with Mr Jung. She shook her head in disapproval at her friend's determination and went off in search for her clique.

//////////

Tiffany frowned when Yuri stopped her to pick up a call.Yuri's lips curled into a smirk.

"Oh guys, we have to go. Right now"

"Where are we going?"

"To watch our school's very own teacher-student drama."

Tiffany had an ominous feeling when Inha tolled her along. They stopped below the cliff and Tiffany choked when she saw a familiar blonde waving frantically in front of Mr Jung. She caught words from their heated argument like 'married', 'wrong' and 'love'.

It happened all so slowly when she saw Taeyeon took on her heels, slipped and plunged head first. Her petite body fell in a heap before her eyes. Tiffany stood frozen, her body numbed. She was shoved to the side and a foul stench invaded her nasal cavity. Fear stunk.

"Oh fu-"

"Mr Jung, shall we-"

"Tae-"

"No, students. Quiet down. I got this. We've to get rid of her."

//////////

A fresh breeze chilled her skin. She slapped her hand on . Tiffany thought she might scream but clenched painfully. She sees nothing but sparklers of pain in her head.

"Come on, Hwang."

"I can't- We can't."

"It's an accident. She fell, Hwang. You saw her. She fell by herself."

"We could-"

"Report to the police? For god sake, we're smoking weed at 2am in the morning. We would be as dead as she is."

"I-"

"Jesus Christ. Stand watch at the west. Yul, get the boys to retrieve their wood cutting tools."

"Come on, Hwang."

"I- Taeyeon-"

"Boys, we'll do the work. Girls, keep a lookout."

"T-This...that is not a dream, right?"

A loud crunch resounded into the cold peaceful night. Tiffany heard the blonde choked on her blood, sputtering wildly.

"Oh sh-, she's still alive? What a tough one."

A hollow laugh and Tiffany caught sight of Yoona and the boys swinging their tools for another blow. Another crunch, a crack and the sound of wet metal meeting warm flesh. The stench of iron was polluting the stale air around her. Tiffany heaved. Yuri gingerly pressed a small bag into her hand. It was still warm and the brunette could feel a weak pulse through the thin bag. 

"We split it into 44 equal parts. Everyone gets a piece to dispose."

"Alright class, her body is divided equally into 45 since there are 45 of us here. Everyone will take a piece. Throw it, burn it, just get rid of it."

"Tiffany?"

"Tiffany?"

"Here. Since you're her close friend, you get the heart."

"Since you're her close friend, you get the heart. Now class, dismiss."

"And-"

"And remember, this stays between us."

//////////

A week passed after the accident and Taeyeon was pushed to the back of her mind with the approach of their year end examinations. Tiffany had gotten rid of Taeyeon's heart that was in her possession and true to their words, the class carried on their activities without any mention of the unfortunate event.

"For the equation of..."

The door slid open with a slam. Tiffany drew her attention away from her notes in time to see the blood drain off Mr Jung's face.

"Sorry, I'm late."

She froze at the statement and felt Yuri's constricted grip on her arm. A blonde confidently ambled into the class and bowed.

"Hello, my name is Kim Taeyeon. Nice to meet you. Please guide me in the future. Thank you."