Time Lapse II

태연 x 티파니

Ginger,” Taeyeon whistled and Zero panted happily, zig-zagging across the room. With a sigh, she grabbed a pillow and laid down beside the dog, running her fingers down his fur. Ginger had gone back to his routine of waiting at the pouch after two weeks. 

“She’s not coming back,” Taeyeon whispered into his fur. His tail thumped against the floor upon hearing her voice and Taeyeon wished his tail was wagging for a different reason. Taeyeon didn’t know if he did not understand what she meant or Ginger was harboring the same hope she kept.

“I miss her too,” Taeyeon thought that dogs are amazing because Ginger shifted to a tear that trailed down her face. Zero tumbled over his paw and somersaulted into Ginger, nipping at his tail and Ginger was after the puppy. Taeyeon was left curled up on the pouch, with tears down her cheeks and pain in her chest. 

Yuri was surprised when Taeyeon had invited her over. Taeyeon had never invited them over after Tiffany left. She has been bugging Taeyeon for weeks after hearing from Hyoyeon that she was dropped off at the pet shop and Taeyeon had bought a silver poodle. They chided her for her impulsiveness but deduced that Taeyeon was probably reminiscing. Zero. They thought the names she gave were weird but nonetheless, he was adorable.

Taeyeon finally relented and Yuri was greeted with a happy Ginger when the door swung open. 

“Hello, Ginger! Oh hello, Zero!” Yuri squealed at the puppy in Taeyeon’s hands, “You’re so cute!”

“Hello Taeyeon, you’re so cute too,” Taeyeon greeted with sarcasm but handed the puppy to Yuri anyway. Sunny had better manners to gift her a bottle of wine before cooing at Zero. Taeyeon smiled in relief to see Ginger leaping around the guests happily, his tail wagging happily. In a heartbeat, he squirmed out of Sunny’s arms and stationed himself at the pouch. Taeyeon heaved a silent sigh.

“What’s Ginger doing there?”

“He’s waiting.”

“Ah,” Sunny nodded with understanding, sipping on her glass of wine with Yuri making baby noises at Zero in the background.

“You didn’t tell him?”

“I... did,” Taeyeon took a swig, “I don’t think he understands.”

“I’m sorry,” Sunny gave the clammy hand a squeeze. 

“It’s not your fault. I’m the one who messed up remember?”

“You should explain to Tiffany. Communication is important in a relationship."

“Sunny, it’s not just that. There are many things."

"That you’ve been bullied at work but didn’t want her to worry? That you were working extra hours to earn income? That you’re not spending time with her because you’re busy preparing? That you’re finding the opportunity to propose to her?” Sunny yanked Taeyeon’s collar, “You still have that damn ring around your neck. You want her back, you miss her, you love her but you won’t tell her!”

“She ing caught me in bed with Seulgi!” Taeyeon yelled and Sunny flinched, “I don’t know how to say sorry for that, Sunny. How am I supposed to apologize for the mistake I made in a drunken stupor? How am I supposed to tell her that I missed her then? I missed her so much that when Seulgi sat on my lap and wore the same perfume as her, I mistook her as Tiffany. Am I supposed to tell her that Seulgi ed me, all I thought about was her? How am I supposed to tell her all that when I feel so disgusted with myself?”

Ginger whined and perched himself at Taeyeon’s feet.

“How am I supposed to say sorry to Ginger because he is waiting in vain? That I bought Zero home because he has eyes like hers? How am I supposed to live my life without revolving it around her? Sunny, I don’t know what to do without the love of my life but I'm not worthy of her."

"That's your problem, Taeyeon. You never communicate. You think you could carry the world upon your shoulders but you're not a hero, Taeyeon. You're a fool who just lives to regret the things you've done."

Taeyeon never contacted the duo after that day. She spent her days curled up on the pouch with Ginger nestled in her arms and Zero nibbling at her toes. She let the music play, drank coffee and felt her ribs painfully rubbed against the wooden floor. Ginger prickled his ears, sniffed the air and wriggled out of Taeyeon’s arms. His tail wagged a rhythm. 

She heard it too. Wheels dragged across the floor. Heels on ceramic tiles. Key in the lock. Ginger barked like he had always welcomed her home. Zero scurried around with eager yelps. Then, Tiffany was staring at Taeyeon with a curious tilt of her head. 

“What are you? A dog?” Taeyeon blinked. 

“Come on, off the ground. We have Ginger and now Zero, I don’t need another dog around.” Tiffany effortlessly lifted her up with a disdainful look, “You must be Jack Skellington that’s why you named him Zero.”

Taeyeon didn't know what to say.

“Why are you back?”

“Isn’t this my house?”

“Why...” 

“Sunny called me,” Tiffany wrapped her arms around the brunette, “I’m sorry for not listening. I’m sorry for leaving.”

Taeyeon pushed herself away. If this was a dream, Taeyeon didn't want this warmth to be gone. Tiffany was crestfallen but found herself seated on the couch, with a cup of tea in her hands and Ginger snuggled on her lap. Taeyeon let all her emotions tumbled out in words.

There were tears, apologies, promises and compromises. Taeyeon was warm in Tiffany's arms, Ginger no longer has to wait in vain and Zero has another sister who will dote on him. The ring around her neck was at its rightful place on Tiffany's finger and her smile was worth everything Taeyeon had to offer.

"Promise you'll talk to me about everything?" Taeyeon nodded.

“Welcome home,” the words carried her affection and Taeyeon soothed her heart with Tiffany’s kisses.