Breaking Rules

태연 x 티파니

Tiffany's gaze was fixed on the blonde. She found herself unconsciously attracted to the confidence- a quality she is lacking- as she pulls the jacket closer around herself.

Taeyeon was a natural charmer; mingling perfectly with the graduated batch of seniors as they reminisced about the journey of the photography club they established last year.

Tiffany chewed on her lip, drumming her fingers nervously as she shook her head at the waiter who offered her a glass of wine. She lifted her own glass of water and took a sip, painfully fighting how much she wants that glass of mojito that Yoona is having across her.

Your diet, Tiffany- she chided herself and resisted the urge to reach for that raspberry tart delicately placed on the tray. Tiffany shook her head and sighed for the umpteen time that night as she focused on that little embossed rose on the hem of her jacket instead. Taeyeon suddenly sat beside her and placed her hand on her knee. Tiffany momentary looked up and straight into Taeyeon's soft eyes.

'Taeyeon is bad'; her mother had said. She doesn't know how but her mother found out about Taeyeon's previous relationship with one of the senior in her club. 'It's wrong, Miyoung. You're supposed to love boys'; her mother had said. Taeyeon simply bowed when Tiffany's mother appeared in school one day and lectured Taeyeon about her relationship- before forcefully pulling Tiffany away. Unfortunately, Tiffany was not allowed to protest but she glanced back to see Taeyeon waving goodbye to her.

'Taeyeon is bad'; her father had said. She didn't know why but Tiffany felt that her hair was weighting her down one fine morning and Tiffany felt sick. Taeyeon laughed when Tiffany blurted out in class that she likes Taeyeon's short blonde locks. Taeyeon encouraged her to go for that change and Tiffany boldly picks up the scissors; feeling lighter as her snips got faster. 'Miyoung, girls are supposed to have long pretty hair! We took years to grow your hair'; her father had said. Unfortunately, Tiffany was brought up to abide to their rules as she was lectured but Taeyeon sent her a message to say that she looks amazing.

'Taeyeon is bad'; her grandmother had said. She didn't know when but Tiffany had fallen asleep on Taeyeon's bed while she was watching Harry Potter. Halfway through the paired project, Tiffany suffered a breakdown as her parents lectured her over the phone about the A- she has gotten on her report card. Taeyeon hugged her and excitedly took out her collection of Harry Potter's blue-rays, insert the disc into her laptop; simultaneously brushing the pile of books off her bed as she mumbled incoherent spells along with Hermione Granger. 'Girls are not supposed to stay out late. Your curfew is 9pm, Miyoung. You know that'; her grandmother had said. Unfortunately, Tiffany was not allowed to speak up but she remembered leaving Taeyeon's house to find the blonde asleep; slumped over the opened books on her study desk.

'Taeyeon is bad'; her grandfather had said. Her family had attended their graduation ceremony a week back and with a scoff, her family distanced themselves when Taeyeon brightly greeted them. Tiffany was aware of how stiff her face was from smiling at her fussing grandparents and at the corner of her eyes, saw Taeyeon bursting with chortles as she challenged her classmates to see who can eat more doughnuts in two minutes. 'Ladies don't eat like that. And Miyoung, you need to go on a diet because- look at your cheeks', her grandfather had said. Unfortunately, Tiffany was only allowed to agree as she forced a quick smile but later that evening, Taeyeon sneaked her favorite P&J doughnut and shared it with her in the washroom.

'Taeyeon is bad';- oh she is. Taeyeon is bad at sports, at cooking and creating puns but Tiffany knew that Taeyeon is more than that. Taeyeon is carefree, Taeyeon is genuine, Taeyeon is her pillar of strength and Taeyeon cares for Tiffany in a way that is different.

Taeyeon had never doubted her.

Taeyeon said "Go ahead!", "Why not?", "That sounds great, Fany!" and "Live a little lighter, Tiffany."

"Tiffany?"

"Huh?"

Taeyeon looks at her with an amused smile.

"Are you coming?"

Tiffany smiles and realized that maybe in life, it's about breaking rules and breaking rules with Taeyeon doesn't seem so bad after all. She said goodbye to her friends once more and thanks them for the great time at the party.

Tiffany picks herself up and courageously ran towards Taeyeon. She would never forget the surprised look on Taeyeon's face when she suddenly took her hand; the way Taeyeon adjusts her hand to interlace their fingers. Tiffany thinks that the pink in Taeyeon's cheeks looks adorable.

Tiffany grins at her, whispers a "thank you" and reach for the ice cream cone in Taeyeon's hand when she offers it to her. She can worry about her family later- but, life is about breaking rules and breaking rules with Taeyeon is a pretty good idea.