It Hurts

Halmeoni

Hana POV

"I think I'm going to be sick," I muttered, looking away from the two of them. I got up from my seat. "I'm going!" I said to anyone who was listening. "Bye!" When no one responded, I huffed and walked off to find Minyoung and the girls. But someone grabbed my wrist.
"Wait! Hana, where are you going?" Hoya asked, looking up at me.
"Home. I feel sick," I said, eyeing Yoona who had just gone to the toilet.
"Stay for a bit! It's still early." He pouted.
Every ounce of me wanted to leave before my heart suffered anymore shocks, but that pout........
"Fine," I said, half smiling and half pretending to be cool.
"Yay!" He cheered. "So, did halmeoni slam the door in your face too after you told her you couldn't come?"
"No way!" I exclaimed. "She did that to you too?" He nodded. "I feel so bad, Hoya....."
"Aish, don't be. I already promised her we would go iceskating next week."
"Really?" He nodded. "But....I can't iceskate!" I said sadly.
He snorted. "Really?! Aigoo," he stifled his laughter. I glared at him. "I'll teach you, don't worry. I'm an excellent iceskater." He smiled widely, showing all his teeth and crossing his arms over his chest. "I could be the next Kim Yuna!"
"Omgod, Hoya, stop, everyone is looking at you," I said, embarrassed, looking around the table.
"Oh, you mean the guys? Don't worry," he winked. "They're used to it."
"Really?" The guys nodded. LOL! "Okay then." I slapped his arm.

Talking for Hoya for less than five minutes had already made my night. I felt immediately better after talking to him, almost, almost forgetting that he had a girlfriend, but when I saw his face light up - how it never did when he saw me - I turned around to see Yoona heading back in our direction. Hoya looked at me. I then noticed I was sitting in her seat.
"Oh, um," I said, turning red. "Sorry. I'll go."
"Silly," Hoya laughed. "You don't have to go. Just move over a seat, will you?"
My eyes filled with tears. I shook my head, not trusting myself to speak. I just rejected - hard. I turned around to leave, only to bump into a guy with his shirt practically half open.
"Whoa, watch where you're - omo, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you cry!"
I sniffled. "I'm not crying. They're allergies.....bye." I bowed and walked away quickly.

On the bus home, I cried silently into my tissues, sobbing uncontrollably, earning me weird stares from the other passengers. I got home and fumbled with my keys.
"Hana?" Halmeoni called my name. She was sweeping the floor outside her apartment and noticed me crying. "Omo! What's wrong?"
I shook my head. "Bad day, halmeoni. I'm going to bed. Goodnight," I bowed and opened my door.
"Wait up!" Halmeoni called. "Not so fast, Hana. I know those tears. Boy troubles?" She looked at me knowingly. Under her scutinising gaze, I crumpled, nodding and sobbing harder.
"There, there," she said soothingly, patting my back. "Now, what's wrong? Who is this boy? Let me use my tai chi skills to kung fu his !"
I laughed bitterly. "You don't want to do that, halmeoni."
"Why?" She asked, surprised. "I won't let anyone hurt my Hana."
I sobbed harder. "Halmeoni," I wailed. "Hoya has a girlfriend!"
"Hoya?" She paused. "Aigoo, I knew it. I knew it from the day you guys went to buy me red bean icecream. The way you look at him!"
"I'm sorry," I wailed into her shoulder. "He has a girlfriend now, so I'll stop." I sniffled. "She's prettier than me anyway."
"Hana, you listen to me." She shook my shoulders. "Hoya will never find another girl like you, Hana. You are so caring, so kind, so good to me.......and don't you say for one minute that you aren't beautiful. If Hoya can't see it, then my dear grandson is as blind as a bat. Let him see if that girl is as good as you. One day, he'll wake up and realise that what he has been looking has been here all along. Every Sunday morning, doing tai chi together." She patted my back. "Plus, you have halmeoni's support, aigoo, does that count for anything?"
I cracked a broken smile. "Thankyou halmeoni. Thankyou so much." I wiped my tears. "I just wish it didn't hurt that much."
"I know darling. I know."