Trainee

Halmeoni

Hana POV

Halmeoni had told me to wait in the living room while they had a little 'chat' in the kitchen. I suppose halmeoni didn't want me to hear what they were talking about. I snuck around the sofa and pressed my ear to the wall. I could hear their muffled voices, and a few names being mentioned, namely mine and Yoona's. Halmeoni was raising her voice and yelling but I could hear Hoya being calm with a collected voice.

After what seemed like a lifetime, I heard the door scraping open. I quickly hurried back to my place on the sofa and pretended to watch TV while they came out.

"Hana, can we talk?" I turned around and Hoya came to sit next to me. Before I could say anything, namely, NO WE CANNOT TALK, he started apologising to me. I was a little confused.
"Hana, I'm really sorry how I've been treating you these past few months. I don't know what's gotten into me.....it's like I've been possessed by something." He scratched his head awkwardly.
"I realise that I've been selfish and conceited lately. I knew halmeoni was really sick but I thought that being with Yoona was more important........finally halmeoni knocked some sense into me." He touched his cheek subconsciously and I winced. Did halmeoni hit him?

"So what does this mean? You're only apologising to me after halmeoni told you to? What kind of person are you?" I said bitterly, crossing my arms. Truthfully, inside I was leaping with joy that he was apologising to me, but I wasn't willing to accept it that easily.
He didn't answer.
"So is that true, then?" Tears filled my eyes again. I bit my lip, not willing to cry.
He still didn't answer.
"ANSWER ME!" I screamed. "WHY HAVE YOU BEEN LIKE THIS? DITCHING YOUR HALMEONI FOR YOU GIRLFRIEND?" I took a deep breath, shaking. "You don't know how sick she was. You don't know how scared I was. I thought she was going to....." I bit my lip. "I had no one to talk to. I thought I was going crazy, here by myself everyday." I shuddered. "She kept asking for you, Hoya, but I didn't have the heart to tell her that you were off at the theme park with your girlfriend."

He sank down on the couch next to me, his knees apparently giving way. "Are you serious, Hana? Did she really almost - ?"
I nodded, wiping my eyes. "I had to call the ambulance one time. A-a-and I tried to c-call you but your-your phone was switched off!" I sobbed, wiping my nose.
His face visibly paled. "I was watching Breaking Dawn with Yoona....." He bit his lip. "Hana, I'm really sorry. I didn't know, that you, that halmeoni - oh my God, I screwed up." His head hung in his hands.
I sniffled. "Hoya, don't beat yourself up over it. Halmeoni's fine now." I paused. "You better go after Yoona. She's probably still scarred from eating breakfast." I laughed bitterly. "I've never seen halmeoni like that before."
His eyes widened. "Me neither! It was scary," he hugged himself. "So, Hana, are we......are we good now?"

"I don't know, Hoya. Will you skate past my bloody self on the ice again? Glare at me and yell at me in public?" I narrowed my eyes.
"No way! I never saw you or I would've helped you up first! Promise!" He said sheepishly. "Please, Hana, I said I was sorry! Forgive meeeeee!" He pouted that pout he knew I could never resist.
"Fine," I sighed. "You're forgiven. But don't ever, ever do that again Hoya." My eyes filled with tears again. "I thought I was going to die!" I moaned.
"Never," he whispered, pulling me close into a hug. "Never."
Ah, I wanted to stay in that position forever. But of course his phone had to ring, and of course it had to be Yoona.
"Sorry," he coughed uncomfortably. "I have to take this."

He walked away and answered his phone. I could tell he was trying to be quiet, but halmeoni's house was quiet small and not soundproof, so naturally I heard every word. Hoya was trying to comfort Yoona, and from the sound of it, she was crying.

"I'm terrible, aren't I?" Halmeoni was holding two mugs of tea and came and sat down on the couch.
I giggled. "Yes, you are so terrible, halmeoni!" Then I paused. "But she deserved it."
She laughed too, then became serious. "Hana, halmeoni wants to thank you for taking care of me when I was sick. If I depended on that Howon boy.....aish. I would be dead already."
"Omo halmeoni, don't say stuff like that!" I glared at her, shocked. "And don't thank me, halmeoni, what else was I supposed to do?"
She smiled. "You're a special girl, Kim Hana."
I hugged her. "I love you, halmeoni, please, never forget that?"
"As you should never forget that I love you more."
My eyes filled with tears and I hugged her tighter.

"Omo, what's going on here? A group hug? I want to join in!" Hoya came in, just off the phone, and engulfed halmeoni and I in a massive bear hug with a choking grip.
"I can't breathe," halmeoni snapped.
"Oops, sorry," he chuckled.
"Have you got your common sense back, boy?" She smacked him, hard, on the back of the head.
"Ow," he winced. "Yes, halmeoni. I know what I did wrong. And I'm deeply sorry. I'll never do it again." He got up and bowed.
"Now can you come back on Sundays now?" Halmeoni asked him tiredly.
He bit his lip and contemplated for a bit. "Yes," he said finally. "I'll be here on Sunday forever!"
Halmeoni beamed. "But without that Yoona girl, of course, right?"
Hoya sighed. "Yes. Without her. I can't let anyone tease my halmeoni's Sunday Special breakfast!"
I caught his eye and he winked.
"Yay!" Halmeoni cheered like a little girl. "Sundays, now back to normal! I missed you these two months, Lee Howon."
"Me too, halmeoni. Me too."

Throughout the whole week at school, I was restless and impatient, anxious for Sunday to come rolling around so I could hang out with halmeoni and Hoya again, like normal. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the 'girl' time halmeoni and I had, but with the three of us there was something different altogether.

Finally, Sunday came. I got up early, at 5.30am, to get ready for tai chi. Funny, ever since halmeoni stormed into my house that one morning many months ago, I had gotten better posture, muscle strength and sleeping patterns - all from the help of the discipline of tai chi. I smiled as I brushed my teeth and showered, humming lightly to my favourite song.

"Halmeoni!" I waved, seeing her stretching with her friends. But where was Hoya? I started to get anxious. Why wasn't he here?
Halmeoni came toward me. "Morning, Hana! Are you ready for a good class?" She did a few pre-warmup moves for me, including kicking and punching the air violently.
I nodded. "Of course I am, I'm always ready, halmeoni!" I smiled. "Where's Hoya?" I asked casually.
"Oh, that boy," her face lit up. "His audition that he went to a few months ago was successful! He moved to Seoul yesterday to become a trainee at Woollim Entertainment! My Hoya!"
My face fell. My heart dropped. I felt another pain in my chest.
"Didn't he tell you?" She asked me worriedly. "I thought all young people had that cocaotalk these days to message each other?"
I shook my head, hiding my tears. "Nope. He never told me."